2014 Ram 1500 Express dead radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dotCapone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone,

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Express with the 5 inch RA2 radio. A few days ago, I turned on my truck and the radio was completely dead. Completely black screen, no sound or anything. It had been working fine up until this point. Everything else in the truck works as far as I can tell. I have tried a few things to get it working, but still nothing. I have thought about upgrading to the 8.4 RA4, but I just want to make sure it's the radio itself and not the wiring. I don't want to plug in the new radio and have that not work either.

Things I have tried:
- Checked the 20A fuse that is connected to the wire from the battery with a multimeter, it shows 12V from both sides
- Removed the fuse to visually inspect it (looked fine) and put it back
- Tried radio reset by holding volume and tune buttons while in ACC mode
- Disconnected battery for 30 minutes
- Tested all the fuses in the fuse box that I knew how to test

Is there anything else I can check to determine whether it is the radio itself or something with the wiring? I just want to be sure before I spend $1000+ on the radio upgrade. Thanks in advance.

- Tyler

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I seem to remember that there is another fuse, near the firewall

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This site has a good search function, I also recall another fuse but don’t remember where it’s located. Just read on here the other day.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hello everyone,

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Express with the 5 inch RA2 radio. A few days ago, I turned on my truck and the radio was completely dead. Completely black screen, no sound or anything. It had been working fine up until this point. Everything else in the truck works as far as I can tell. I have tried a few things to get it working, but still nothing. I have thought about upgrading to the 8.4 RA4, but I just want to make sure it's the radio itself and not the wiring. I don't want to plug in the new radio and have that not work either.

Things I have tried:
- Checked the 20A fuse that is connected to the wire from the battery with a multimeter, it shows 12V from both sides
- Removed the fuse to visually inspect it (looked fine) and put it back
- Tried radio reset by holding volume and tune buttons while in ACC mode
- Disconnected battery for 30 minutes
- Tested all the fuses in the fuse box that I knew how to test

Is there anything else I can check to determine whether it is the radio itself or something with the wiring? I just want to be sure before I spend $1000+ on the radio upgrade. Thanks in advance.

- Tyler
If you have checked the inline fuse, also check the fuse box in the engine bay. If you have a friend with a Ram, you could swap radios to test too.

OP
OP
D

dotCapone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
D

dotCapone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have checked the inline fuse, also check the fuse box in the engine bay. If you have a friend with a Ram, you could swap radios to test too.
Yeah I also checked all the fuses in the fuse box, everything in there seemed fine. Unfortunately I don't know anyone else with a Ram. I just mostly wanted to check if there was anything else obvious that I should check. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and assume it's a dead radio and order the 8.4 upgrade kit.

Thanks everyone for your help!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yeah I also checked all the fuses in the fuse box, everything in there seemed fine. Unfortunately I don't know anyone else with a Ram. I just mostly wanted to check if there was anything else obvious that I should check. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and assume it's a dead radio and order the 8.4 upgrade kit.

Thanks everyone for your help!
To save yourself some money, you may want to consider piecing the kit together yourself. There are forum members with the parts you need and @Mpgrimm2 makes conversion harnesses for our trucks.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Get a multimeter and check the voltage on the line with the fuse. If you have power there, then probably the radio.

You could check out Crutchfield they will work with you to build out what you need. I think with the right cable your 2014 could upgrade to Android Auto or Carplay. Read the thread on that in the electronics section.