Radio Cutting In and Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

designwebs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
For whatever reason my radio is cutting in and out. It looks like the power is coming on and off. When it does this you can here the CD player kick in and out. Also when it does this the display blinks at the same time all this is going on.

Anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it.

Bigdog9598

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 - 4x2 - SLT
Engine
4.7 flex
Designwebs, my truck started doing the same yesterday. Anyone have other thoughts beside replace the head unit? I pulled the headliner to have it redone, any possibility it is connected or just coincidence?? Thanks Tom

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As long as all the connections behind the radio are solid, generally intermittent power/shutting off problems are internal to the radio and isn’t really something that’s fixable for the cost of just replacing it.

Designwebs, if you wanted to isolate your problem, you could probe the 12v constant to ground and 12v accessory to ground and see if either one is losing power when your radio shuts off. If they both have power during the issue, your problem is the radio. If you lose power on either the accessory or constant during the issue, your problem is power related.

Bigdog, your truck is an 07 and doesn’t have an accessory wire to turn on the radio. The turn on signal is in the can bus system. If you have issues there the truck will let you know. There is a 12v constant though that you can check, but if your problem was with this then every time your radio came back on you may have lost all of your settings. Also the only things that may be around the headliner that are involved with the radio are possibly a gps antenna and a satellite radio antenna depending on what options your truck has. I can’t see a problem with either of these causing the radio to shut off

Like I said 99% of the time this is just an internal fault in the radio and it will just need to be replaced.

Bigdog9598

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 - 4x2 - SLT
Engine
4.7 flex
Justin13703, thank you for the response. Also now AC is cutting out along with the radio. Investigating battery or alternator issues.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Justin13703, thank you for the response. Also now AC is cutting out along with the radio. Investigating battery or alternator issues.
What do you mean the ac is cutting out? Just the compressor? Normally the compressor will cycle on and off as it runs. If it isn’t keeping the air cold though there is a problem somewhere

svtnos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my 08 mega is doing this as well.. sometimes but not all the time during the first 10 mins or so into driving, the radio and hvac controls flicker like crazy..

it was doing it horribly this morning, driving me mad.. had the heat on a lil and everytime the radio flickered you could hear the the blower motor cut in and out... my first thought was it has to be a loose connection somewhere... maybe ? i havent checked yet

RamblingRIck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Here is a little more complicated/detailed radio/nav issue '07 megacab, unit cuts out and returns intermittently (now seemingly permanently). When the unit returned to function, it seemed to return in stages, power up, then audio return. Always returned to zero volume and low AM setting. Has not functioned for a while now, although the CD changed cycles randomly on occasion, even with key in off. Unit is a used replacement, original was doing the same thing.

I have not done any trouble shooting. Any info?

Any chance there is a manufacturer fix/repair program if it is the unit, who is the manufacturer? I ask this because a friend had an Acura NAV unit fail and it turned out the manufacturer had a repair program where for something like $150 send them the unit, they repair and return, vs. the dealer charging you $1600 and doing the same thing.

Any source for electrical schematics, truck and the radio/nav unit?