Radio installation leads to dash failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nitto

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dodge 2500
Engine
v10
well about 5 months ago I attempted to wire up a new headunit and it ended up that the radio didnt work so I went for a good bit without one and realized thaat my power mirrors and interior lights stopped working after that, I thought nothing of it because I figured maybe some crazy way they were wired in with the radio (which would be dumb)

SO today I bought a new headunit and installed it and everything was good, I noticed my mirrors and lights interior lights still do not work so I checked my fuses and they were all good, Then I was driving and realized my dash gauges would work right when I Started my truck but right when I would go to drive it they stopped working.. SO they work when I start it but as soon as I drive the stop or after sitting at idle for more than a minute or 2.

ever since radio installed
mirror and interior lights dont work
and now my dash cluster only works for a few minutes

someone please help, I havent checked my fuses after I noticed the dash thing but I figured they wouldnt be blown if they work for a couple minutes. my milleage counter doesnt even work so its hard to tell how much I can go on a tank of gas lol :shakehead:

1465165_237191589775813_1834953424_n.jpg

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh my! What a mess.

Start with the basics. Remove anything you've done.
Pull the radio out. I hope you used a harness, even if you didn't, just unplug it from the back of the head unit itself. Then start diagnosis.

Get yourself a Haynes manual for the truck, they have a wiring diagram.
Start following the wires back to the common source.

I would open up the bulkhead connector that is behind the driver's wheel well, clean the contacts and slather with dielectric. Always a good idea on a Gen II period.

Electrical problems are VERY difficult to diagnose over a medium like the internets unfortunately.

OP
OP
nitto

nitto

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dodge 2500
Engine
v10
I have a haynes manual and I am already pulling my hair out, Im going to check the fuses and take the radio back out after work