Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bella

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.7l Hemi
The previous owner of my truck installed an aftermarket radio and back up camera. Everything worked fine when I bought it. A week later there is a buzzing (electrical) noise coming from the shifter knob when in reverse. I realized that he had spliced the backup camera to the transmission instead of the reverse lights. But it was working so figured don't fix it if it ain't broke - right?

A few weeks later I plugged a compressor into the cig lighter. It worked for sec and then went off. The radio also stopped working.

Blown fuse - right? WRONG. I checked all the applicable fuses and replaced them for good measure (even replaced the super secret radio fuse near the battery outside the fuse box).

I'm the first to admit that anything wiring related is way outside of my knowledge base but decided to pull the dash to see if I could see anything obvious. What was behind the dash/radio looked like some sort of nightmare out of an M. Knight Shyamalan flick. So I put it all back in and buttoned it up.

Before I go and spend money at a stereo installation spot to see if they can figure out what's wrong I wanted to consult the hive brain to see if any of the following could be possible or if there are other possibilities I hadn't thought about.

Is there any other spot on the truck that could possibly house fuses that could be blown?

Is there some sort of master relay that controls the power outlets and radio that could be blown?

Is there anything I haven't thought of to check that could be causing this problem?

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Express that came with the basic radio (don't think it was bluetooth) that the previous owner replaced with a Pioneer bluetooth touch screen and back up camera.