Radio swap...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jammer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
OK so I have searched and I am unable to locate the correct info to answer my question. My son and both recently purchased 2014 express rams. Both are 2014. I have what appears to be a basic radio (3.0 vp1) with camera in mirror and he has the u connect 3 5" touch screen with back camera on the screen. I checked out both build sheets and not seeing what I believe is the correct info. mine says all VP1 radios and his says all VP2 radios. we are both wanting to swap radios and not sure what need to changed or if it will work with out a bunch of work and or programming.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Go on the Crutchfield site and this is your one-stop-shop for everything required.

Some work required, yes, but easy integration with their great service.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
OK so I have searched and I am unable to locate the correct info to answer my question. My son and both recently purchased 2014 express rams. Both are 2014. I have what appears to be a basic radio (3.0 vp1) with camera in mirror and he has the u connect 3 5" touch screen with back camera on the screen. I checked out both build sheets and not seeing what I believe is the correct info. mine says all VP1 radios and his says all VP2 radios. we are both wanting to swap radios and not sure what need to changed or if it will work with out a bunch of work and or programming.
I'd say just swap and see. It is a compatible swap that should take about 30 minutes to do. The only issue I see is you might have an issue getting the backup camera to display where you want without programming/wiring changes.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
For 2013-17
RA1/VP1 3.0" radios don't support BT Handsfree calling or BuCam display (is why the Rearview mirror, no mics, has to do it)

Ra2/VP2 5.0" radios have BT Handsfree calling (requires Rearview mirror with mics... no BuCam display ... and mirror harness to support it).

RA3/VP3-NA 8.4" (non Nav), all same features of Ra2, plus bigger screen, support for higher trim Features/on screen controls/vehicle settings. Nav features can be unlocked with dealer code for a fee)

RA4/Vp4-NA 8.4" (Nav), same as RA3 with functional Nav.

** 8.4 radio upgrade requires HVAC system "Conversion" with custom harness set & additional parts but can be done.

* Then there are aftermarket radio upgrades that may require interface harnesses/adapters to maintain vehicle system/feature integration. ... ie Crutch field , PAC, Idatalink Maestro, etc.

------------

Related /useful forum threads...

- DIY: 2013-2018 RearView Mirror Upgrade & Harness install

- DIY: 2013-2018 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

- DIY: 2013-2017 RA3/RA4 8.4" Radio Upgrade/HVAC Conversion

- INFO- 2013-2018 8.4 FW Notes (RA4/VP4 & UAx NA)

- Installing OEM backup cam
** Pay attention to Post 10 as well as the OP **

- List of desired 4th Gen Mopar options and part numbers.

Mike G.
M2 Mods

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jammer24

Jammer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'd say just swap and see. It is a compatible swap that should take about 30 minutes to do. The only issue I see is you might have an issue getting the backup camera to display where you want without programming/wiring changes.
That's what I was concerned about. I think I would also have to swap mirrors as well.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That's what I was concerned about. I think I would also have to swap mirrors as well.
@Mpgrimm2 could tell you better than I can, but it "might" be easier to change the camera programming than to swap mirrors. He can also make custom harnesses for swapping radios, but it's usually for upgrades and may not have the ability/parts to downgrade one and upgrade the other. Usually, upgrade is easier.

Edit: just saw he already replied.

OP
OP
Jammer24

Jammer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Edward18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Mpgrimm2 hey man I’ve been searching the forums and internet like a madman and can’t seem to find any answers. I have a 2011 ram 6.7 slt that I want to have a full interior swap including the harness to a 2013-2018 which has the Uconnect 8.4. If I do the full harness swap. Is it possible for it to work? Anyone with previous experience or answers would be appreciated.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
@Mpgrimm2 hey man I’ve been searching the forums and internet like a madman and can’t seem to find any answers. I have a 2011 ram 6.7 slt that I want to have a full interior swap including the harness to a 2013-2018 which has the Uconnect 8.4. If I do the full harness swap. Is it possible for it to work? Anyone with previous experience or answers would be appreciated.
I believe the answer is no. There were changes to the CANBUS system used between years which makes many of the electronics incompatible for anything under 2013.