Radio System jumping around messing with electronics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram350018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins
I have a 2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4, love my trucks by my issues over the last few years have been the radio jumping stations, volume up and down (on 1 wide open or on 38 and silent) system turning heated steering wheel on when it's in the 90's plus outside ( pulled the fuse after a week). Changing settings while driving , etc.. I have spoken to several dealerships since 2019 and they all say the same thing it was a defect in the systems that were installed but the manufacturer would not warranty that issue. From a safety stand point this should be a recall due to the fact that while driving the system is changing settings within the vehicle and changing volumes could result in an accident the sudden changes produced. My 2018 tried calling emergency services while I was driving.
Any thoughts on how we can get these issues addressed

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very interesting. I notice that the irregular behaviors cross over into multiple systems.

I'd start with what do they have in common, grounding points and a battery.

Remember, your truck is a rolling PC, loaded with electronics that are sensitive to a poor ground or a poor-performing battery.

How old is your battery and when was the last time you cleaned the posts & clamps?

Get one of these devices, they're quite inexpensive. Clean the posts & clamps and apply a thin film of dielectric grease. Up here where the temperatures swing a bit more, I try to do mine every 6 months +/-.

battery post cleaner.jpg

Next, check the float voltage with a multimeter. With the truck off, you should read about 12.5 to 12.8 VDC. If less than that, chances are it's time for a battery replacement.

Also, check the alternator charge voltage. Get an assistant or you can try measuring the voltage from a cigarette lighter. With the truck idling at 1500 to 1800 rpm, the voltage should be 14-14.5 VDC.

Older OEM batteries are problematic. And let's just say, don't replace it with a Mopar battery, there are many other & better options.

Chasing bad grounds is much more challenging and I wouldn't go there until the battery is out of the equation. :cool:

And, welcome.gifto Ram Forum. :cool:

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Basically, what he dais.

Insure you sending plenty of clean power, to teh radio, isolate any add-on;s you may have added, over teh years, and let teh radio, stand alone, then see if problems persist.

if so, go here;

see them any from $150 to $700.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357