Radio keeps resetting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbfoster2471

Reaction score
I have a 2018 2500 Laramie and the radio keeps resetting ever 1-3 min. I can even get through a complete song before it resets and everything goes back to factory settings. Can anyone help me out.

I have seen some guys select a spot on the navigation and mute it to not make it reset but mine continues to reset. It doesn’t matter if it is parked or driving.

Tried to upload video but can’t get it to work….

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2018 2500 Laramie and the radio keeps resetting ever 1-3 min. I can even get through a complete song before it resets and everything goes back to factory settings. Can anyone help me out.

I have seen some guys select a spot on the navigation and mute it to not make it reset but mine continues to reset. It doesn’t matter if it is parked or driving.

Tried to upload video but can’t get it to work….

Is everything stock - OEM? No aftermarket electronic add-ons?

I would check the battery cable connections and battery posts, to ensure they are clean and the connectors are tight.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes. Everything is OEM. I have tried to remove battery cables in the past and it didn’t seem to help.
Does the screen feel hot to the touch when this behavior occurs? It would be even better if you can touch the back of the radio, it's pretty easy to access. The screen might not get too hot to touch but when these overheat the back can be too hot to maintain your touch.

OP
OP
J

jbfoster2471

Reaction score
Does the screen feel hot to the touch when this behavior occurs? It would be even better if you can touch the back of the radio, it's pretty easy to access. The screen might not get too hot to touch but when these overheat the back can be too hot to maintain your touch.
The screen feel like the same temp everything else does in the truck. Haven’t touched the back side yet tho.

OP
OP
J

jbfoster2471

Reaction score
i do feel like it is software at this point but i am scared that if i am in the middle of doing this and it resets then it will brick the radio.... Is that a valid concern?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
i do feel like it is software at this point but i am scared that if i am in the middle of doing this and it resets then it will brick the radio.... Is that a valid concern?
Yes if it is hardware related. Me personally, I'd go for it but I understand your hesitation.

Nothing risked, nothing gained!

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Take it to the dealer and have them update it. If it dies while they are updating it you may get a new radio out of the deal.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine started doing something similar and had to be replaced. From what you describe that is the most likely outcome as restarting is usually a reaction to some problem but I'd definitely try all the updates and other things first. I wouldn't worry too much about breaking something that is likely already broken.

OP
OP
J

jbfoster2471

Reaction score
Take it to the dealer and have them update it. If it dies while they are updating it you may get a new radio out of the deal.
Good point...
Mine started doing something similar and had to be replaced. From what you describe that is the most likely outcome as restarting is usually a reaction to some problem but I'd definitely try all the updates and other things first. I wouldn't worry too much about breaking something that is likely already broken.
Thanks for all the responses. I will probably end up bringing it to the dealer and have them update it and see what happens.