Rail dust won’t come off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How can I remove rail dust, from my trucks paint? I’ve already tried the clay bar trick, and the iron x remover spray, and I’ve even tried a rubbing compound and still have the little orange specs all over the truck. Any other ideas ??? Also have tried using meguiars iron removing spray clay with no luck as well.

Last edited:

bigdodge

Reaction score
It's brake dust. The clay bar should work. You might need an stickier bar to get out what you have

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve used clay bar about 15 times to it until the whole bar was gone and it didn’t work at all. Even tried several different brands of clay bar kits and still no luck.

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Did you use CARPRO Iron X remover? (not sure as you said Iron C) If you use an iron remover, let it sit at least 2 to 5 minutes before you wash it off.

How can you go through a whole clay bar until it's gone? I'm surprised nothing has worked so far. Can you feel any roughness when you clay or pass your hand on the surface where you have rust spots?

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I can feel rough spots and yes I have used the iron x spray it never changed colors on the spots after letting it sit for 4 minutes they were still there. And what I meant by going through a whole clay bar I used it until it was to dirty to use again without scratching the paint.

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also tried the meguiars iron removing spray clay and it didn’t seem to help either.

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Ah ok, gotcha. Man, this is a good one. I have never had any issues removing brake dust or even rail dust off any vehicle using those techniques, even on light coloured paint. These must be etched like an SOB in the clear coat.

Did you used a polisher with the compound?

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I have, it’s a dark blue paint but noticeable when looking close at it. I’ve tried just about everything, besides sanding it down and repainting it it’s driving me insane I’ve only had the truck 5 months and within the third month the orange spots showed up all over it and I’m very picking about my trucks paint especially considering I took collision repair in school and have been painting cars for awhile but this has me irritated beyond belief.

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good news I went ahead and cut and buffed the panels and it finally went away I had to go through two layers of clear to remove it but I finally got it done

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
Hmm, sounds like an extreme case, if rail dust. Does the truck have any history of hail dent repair? Dealer shops tend to rush PDR and can crack the paint leading to rust spots later.

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, no damage repair ever has been done to it, never been wrecked or been damaged with hail very well maintained truck. History report is as clean as it can be. One owner truck elderly man owned it and kept it in garage and only drove it a few times a week but kept it clean and maintained and stored it in garage when he wasn’t driving it. It’s definitely brake debris, stuck in the clear coat, after I cut and buffed it, I ran out for a few minutes in it, came back and there were a few small spots back in it.

Last edited:

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Man these are stubborn but happy you were able to get some off. Looks like you'll be spending a lot of time removing it.

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I figure I will considering every time I drive it and I get home I notice there’s more of them on it again

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Try Flitz'it is a gun polish. Friend showed it to me works great.

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have realized, I finally get it all off. Then within a week I have it right back on there again. Wish there was a way to prevent it from getting on the paint.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I have realized, I finally get it all off. Then within a week I have it right back on there again. Wish there was a way to prevent it from getting on the paint.
Are you sure it is rail dust? Is the back of the truck worse than the front? If Iron X is not working or reacting with the spots than it might be bee po*p or other droppings. Bee p*op will not typically be worse on the back of the truck but rail dust or industrial fallout might be do to the aerodynamics of driving. Many articles on this with a Google search. Since it is reoccurring I would suggest investing in a clip on mini microscope for cell phones or a Carson micro mini LED pocket microscope. Both can be had for a small investment.
It won't accept p.o.o.p. hence the code Lol.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45