Rail dust......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Does the new "eco friendly" paint play a part in this or just cheap clear?

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the new "eco friendly" paint play a part in this or just cheap clear?

No. This is something that has been occurring for some time now. My brand new white Camaro Z28 had the same thing. I clay bared it and waxed it to get rid of it.

swargo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Two things that should be noted:

1. When you clay bar the vehicle, you are removing the orange stain caused by the rusting metal and "shearing" the portion of the metal particle that is protruding above the surface of the paint. The portion that is embedded in your paint remains to rust again. To completely remove the metal you need to use a product like IronX. It chemically removed these metal particles.

2. While the most common form of rail dust is caused in transport, it is also caused by brake dust, plow blades, ect. So even though you have removed it as mentioned above, it's going to come back.

I'll also note that part of the dealer prep. is to treat the vehicle before it is offered for sale. Unfortunately this step is often overlooked, mainly because rail dust is very hard to see on vehicles that are not lighter colors. It's there though.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
A friend of mine changed to ceramic brake pads to stop this from reoccurring on his white f250 and it seemed to help.