RAM 1500 - AC not blowing cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nathandoubleu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 L
I have an 2004 Ram 1500 3.7L (6cyl) pickup. Here's what i have so far...
At the interior, the fan blower works and heater works, but no AC.

I started by checking all of the fuses and relays for the condenser fan and compressor clutch, but all of the fuses are fine. The relays - i bought new ones but didn't seem do change anything.

Using manifold gauges, i checked the pressure in the AC sys w/ the engine off, and i got a reading of 95 psi (low end) and 110 psi (high end). I turned the engine on, w/ ac full and at coldest, but compressor clutch did not engage, nor was the condenser fan working (main engine fan does work).
I hotwired the condenser fan and it works. I hotwired the compressor clutch and it worked (cooled off the low end pressure pipe).
With ac and blower at max + engine running, i engaged compressor clutch (by hot wiring) and got a roughly 40 psi (at low end) and 350 psi (high end) over a span of 12 seconds... didn't want to overpressurize the system so i disengaged the compressor. The condenser fan was not working when i did this...

I am not sure if there is anything like this anyone has come across. I am getting help from a friend who has gotten me this far but wanted to see if anyone here might have some insight or had this problem before.

If i get the problem fixed, then I'll post what happened later on this thread but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was the condenser fan (main engine fan) working when you got those pressures? If not this will elevate the high pressure too. But im with vwmaniaman, if condenser fan was running then check orfice. Also with pressures that high static aka (95psi truck off) you shouldn't have had to hot wire compressor unless low side pressure switch is bad. Another sign its the orfice is the difference in pressure at static, they should be the same.

HemiDrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Was having same problem in my 04 5.7L. Ac only blew cold while driving, but hot at sitting at idle or very slow traffic. Shop i had look at it drained all my freon. Idiot.

I Replaced the condenser fan, just need to add freon now.