RAM 2500 6.4 vs Cummins for Travel Trailer with 7500lb GVWR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zenderxt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
We currently have a Grand Design Imagine 2400BH with a GVWR of 7500lbs (weighed weight loaded for travel for us was 6600lbs) but if we travel more I guess that number will definitely get higher. We have no future plans to get a larger trailer and currently tow this with a large SUV rated to tow almost 9000lbs. We want to travel more and further distances and we feel that for the size of trailer and the amount of travel is where we would prefer to be in 2500 territory. Just wondering if those with experience with the 2500's if the 6.4 Hemi would be up to the task travelling 1000's of miles with some mountain travel as well. My other concern with the Cummins is this travel would be for 1-2 months a year and then otherwise the Truck would only travel a 100-200km a week at best unloaded.

I appreciate any feedback!

Thanks!

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
We currently have a Grand Design Imagine 2400BH with a GVWR of 7500lbs (weighed weight loaded for travel for us was 6600lbs) but if we travel more I guess that number will definitely get higher. We have no future plans to get a larger trailer and currently tow this with a large SUV rated to tow almost 9000lbs. We want to travel more and further distances and we feel that for the size of trailer and the amount of travel is where we would prefer to be in 2500 territory. Just wondering if those with experience with the 2500's if the 6.4 Hemi would be up to the task travelling 1000's of miles with some mountain travel as well. My other concern with the Cummins is this travel would be for 1-2 months a year and then otherwise the Truck would only travel a 100-200km a week at best unloaded.

I appreciate any feedback!

Thanks!
I have towed everything under the sun in my life, and I maintained a CDL for 30 years until I retired so I have a bit of experience. Look at the specs for mine below. They are real-life numbers, not wishful thinking, and not something fabricated or extrapolated from some brochure. With almost 2 tons of cargo capacity, and 15,000# of towing capacity, there is nothing that I will ever need drag behind me that will come close to pushing any limit. I ordered it just for that reason. I could have gone higher with the towing capacity with a diesel engine, but why? If I hooked up your 7500# TT to my 2500 I wouldn't even know it was back there...mountains or not. It's also my every day vehicle.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Just wondering if those with experience with the 2500's if the 6.4 Hemi would be up to the task travelling 1000's of miles with some mountain travel as well.
You could drag that trailer for as many miles as you want up and down any grades you with a 1500, so there will be no problem with a 2500 Hemi.
As for the going with the Cummins, it won't be for the weight but added benefits of towing with a diesel (exhaust brake, fuel economy, turbo for no loss of power going up in altitude, low rpm torque band, etc).

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I have a 2500 with the Cummins. For the past two summers I’ve pulled an Imagine 2600 rb weighing in at around 7000lbs. Did some of the Rockies last year and did some he east coast this summer. You’ll like the engine brake and the extra range with the diesel. I don’t drive mine all that much when I’m not towing. I don’t know why people think that’s a problem. It’s not.

OP
OP
Z

zenderxt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2500 with the Cummins. For the past two summers I’ve pulled an Imagine 2600 rb weighing in at around 7000lbs. Did some of the Rockies last year and did some he east coast this summer. You’ll like the engine brake and the extra range with the diesel. I don’t drive mine all that much when I’m not towing. I don’t know why people think that’s a problem. It’s not.
Thanks for the feedback! I think there is this stigma that the Cummins if not worked hard often, the DPF and EGR can become clogged resulting in costly repairs vs the gas engine. Whether this is true or not I am not sure, but it was a factor when considering the use of the truck. That and the 10000 dollar price tag for it. On the flip side what makes me consider the Diesel is the Exhaust Brake and Fuel Economy.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
My son towed his 2018 2670MK and it weighed in at 8100lbs loaded (8500lb GVWR) and towed it over 9000 miles in 2 years with his 2018 2500 6.4 hemi with 4.10's and had no issues or complaints. The hemi will be perfectly fine.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I have a Rockwood 2104S Travel Trailer, 22'+ long, empty weight 4977 lbs, max loaded weight 6841 lbs.

My 2017 Ram 2500 pulls it fine, even with the old 66RFE transmission. Newer ZF8 would be that much better. I even have 3.73 gears (which were the standard) instead of the optional 4.10 which I would have ordered. I bought my truck off the lot the deal was too good.

In this configuration, Crew Cab 4x4 with 6'4" bed, max tow rating is 12,000+ lbs. A good combination package you'll have.

Keep in mind you pay a lot of extra money for the diesel to offset the lower fuel mileage. Do the math. I don't tow nearly enough miles to pay for diesel fuel efficiency. Not even close.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thanks for the feedback! I think there is this stigma that the Cummins if not worked hard often, the DPF and EGR can become clogged resulting in costly repairs vs the gas engine. Whether this is true or not I am not sure, but it was a factor when considering the use of the truck. That and the 10000 dollar price tag for it. On the flip side what makes me consider the Diesel is the Exhaust Brake and Fuel Economy.
One thing to remember, yes you pay an extra 10K for the Cummins, but you will get most of your money back (80% or more) when you go to sell it as diesel engine pickups hold there value a lot more then a pickup with a gas engine...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
In the meantime, that $10k is held in higher loan and interest payments than you'd have with the gasser.

Point being many of us are more impacted by cashflow, not net assets sitting in our driveway or house.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes... to some degree that is true. A diesel engine needs to be worked.

In your case I don't think you "need" a diesel to tow what you're wanting to tow. I normally push for a diesel just because they served me well but in this particular instance I think that a 6.4 would fit the bill. True... your mpg while towing will likely be better with the Cummins but if this is the only thing you plan to tow and you're never going to come even close to the capacity of the 6.4 a diesel likely doesn't make much sense.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Keep in mind you pay a lot of extra money for the diesel to offset the lower fuel mileage. Do the math. I don't tow nearly enough miles to pay for diesel fuel efficiency. Not even close.
Also keep in mind you'll get most or all of that money back when you sell or trade that diesel truck. Not saying you should get the diesel or not, just pointing out an often stated myth, that the diesel option price is like lost money or something. The reality is that it keeps its value better than the rest of the truck will.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yes and no, depending on how much you drive and what you're driving.

I drive a LOT, north of 20k miles a year. The VAST majority of it unloaded.

My old truck was a '17 Wagon, so 6.4 Hemi, 6 speed, 4.10 gears. Most of my driving is on state highways slated for 55mph so at most I typically run 60. That truck was LUCKY to get me 14-15 mpg. Don't get me wrong, I loved that truck, but the mileage sucked. I was really FORCED into a new truck, because I needed a truck and the dealer wanted their loaner back when my Wagon puked a MAP sensor and threw no codes, but wouldn't run so they couldn't pull data.

My new truck is a '22 Bighorn CTD, 3.73's but otherwise a very similarly loaded truck (less the winch and off-road goodies). I've only got 5k miles on it so far, but I'm averaging 24 mpg. That's fully 10 mpg better than I was getting in my old truck. At this rate I'll make up the difference pretty quickly, since even at higher diesel prices my price per mile is $.10-.15 lower to operate than with my old gasser.

YMMV, I drive a LOT more than the average person. For a person that runs mostly expressway, or makes short trips, a gasser might make a LOT more sense.

As for the OP's question, though, either motor would do well pulling what he's got - I pulled our 35' travel trailer with a GVW of about 7700 lbs all over with no issues behind the Wagon - sway was the biggest issue because of the soft suspension but keeping speeds at or below 65 mph solved 99% of that. I've pulled it a couple times now with the new truck, and sway isn't an issue anymore...along with GOBS of extra power.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Also keep in mind you'll get most or all of that money back when you sell or trade that diesel truck. Not saying you should get the diesel or not, just pointing out an often stated myth, that the diesel option price is like lost money or something. The reality is that it keeps its value better than the rest of the truck will.

See my post #10...

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
With the gas engine, there's zero percent chance of an emissions fault putting you in limp mode 1600 miles away from home.

If you don't need a diesel, don't get one. The negatives far outweigh the positives unless you've got a lot of extra money to burn.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With the gas engine, there's zero percent chance of an emissions fault putting you in limp mode 1600 miles away from home.

If you don't need a diesel, don't get one. The negatives far outweigh the positives unless you've got a lot of extra money to burn.
And with the Cummins there is basically no chance a lifter/cam will wear out and implode leaving you stranded!! Both have their plusses and minuses...

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

That doesn't mean that you're guaranteed perfect service just because there's a chance of a failure. Emissions equipment is easier and cheaper to replace than lifters, cams, etc... which are a real possibility with the 6.4 as well. They all present some level of risk. All that said... I wouldn't shy away from either depending on my specific needs.

Diesels are not inherently more expensive than gas burners just because they're diesels. It all depends on how they're used.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
In the meantime, that $10k is held in higher loan and interest payments than you'd have with the gasser.

Point being many of us are more impacted by cashflow, not net assets sitting in our driveway or house.
That's true. But at least the diesel will return near 100% of it's original option cost down the road. And it could save you money on fuel as well, to help offset any additional costs.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
That's true. But at least the diesel will return near 100% of it's original option cost down the road. And it could save you money on fuel as well, to help offset any additional costs.

My point is it costs extra money while you own it. So it's for guys who have lots of loot. I'm not one of them.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Diesel will cost you more. That is a fact and isn't debatable. You MIGHT break even if you have no failures for the duration of ownership, and keep it a long time. One failure and you've lost any chance of coming out ahead. One major failure, and you've come out wayyyyy in the red. You can put a new engine in a gas truck for what a fuel system job on the diesel costs.

Fleets are running gas trucks for a reason. It's cheaper. It's cheaper to buy and cheaper to operate. OP is well within the capabilities of an HD gas truck and if the decision is strictly based on Financials, the diesel never wins in any scenario. The gas truck will drag that trailer wherever he wants to go for however long he's willing to pump gas into it.

With a diesel, you're spending a lot of money to be able to smoke up passes and keep your foot off the brake going down. Nothing wrong with that, but realize that is what you're really spending the 10-12k on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357