Ram 2500 junk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big red 15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok. Let me start by saying I love my truck, but I'm beginning to think it's time to move on after just 2 years of ownership. She's a 2015 Ram 2500 big horn crew cab with a 6.4 and 4.10 towing package. The truck is absolutely the most powerful one I've ever owned. I took ownership at just 24k and now have just under 50k on it. In the last year I had the heater core replaced (plugged), did rotors and pads (rotors had significant delamination and pitting). Just last month I started having a lack of heat in the cab again, and experienced a driveline shudder. Took it back to the dealer ( luckily I have max care) and they called the next day with the news. First, the heater core is plugged again. When I asked if they would flush it out this time to hopefully prevent further clogging, they said a flush was not covered. So it looks like I'm paying $160 for a BG coolant flush. Second, they pulled the transmission pan and found what they believe to be clutch material and burned fluid. Now I have to wait on the MVP inspector to find out what they are going to do. I baby this truck. The worst it pulls is a 6x12 dump trailer with 3yds of topsoil and the occasional load of rubble. Well below what the tow rating is. At this point I'm on the better end of the deal, and am considering trading it in. Has anybody else had these same problems?

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So there saying the heater core is plugged? Plugged internally? There not going to replace it? So what does the max care cover then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
No, they're not junk by any means. Forgetting the heater core, I am curious as to what life was like on that 6 speed in the 24k before you got it? Just a thought. Well, truthfully, what was life like for the 24k on the whole truck?

My 2015 was a really great truck.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Did I read that right, 2 heater cores plugged up in a year? Something is not right in that cooling system. Wonder if the previous owner put the wrong coolant in it and that reacted to cause sludge. Once that happens it is a ***** to clean the system properly to remove all the traces of the wrong coolant.

OP
OP
B

Big red 15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They are covering the heater core, but not the flush. I think that's kind of ridiculous, but maybe that's just me. As far as the transmission, I wish I could get them to put in an 8spd instead of the 6spd it currently has. I take it to the dealer for the oil changes, so the proper fluids get used ,and any major issues because of the warranty. I'm just worried what life is going to be like post warranty in another year or so. Maybe I've just got one of the lemons.

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
If they keep saving the old coolant and putting it back in, replacing heater cores may become an annual event. One would think they would catch on if 2 heater cores plug up in a year something is amiss in the cooling system. I am surprised the radiator has not plugged up. If that happens they will be on the hook to replace the engine. Seems like cheap insurance to do a complete cooling system flush and acid wash to ensure system longevity. Their nickel I suppose.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would actually recommend putting a bypass hose in after removing the core and flushing then. No sense flushing with old core as it won't work anyway, and flushing after new core installed will just possibly lodge contaminates in new core. I second above, possibly the former owner put something in they shouldn't have. Just a thought, if you decide to keep truck you might want to replace radiator as that could have some crap in it. Maybe you could work out a deal to get it at dealer cost. Make sure they also clean out overflow also. Doing this adds cost but gives you piece of mind that you did everything you could.

As for transmission, it can be as good as used-new again, and cheaper than buying new truck plus if these are the only problems, maybe you solve them for good this time. Good luck whatever path you take.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
$160 for a flush? Damn...I’ll flush your system too!

It’s $10 for the bottle of coolant flush plus a few gallons of distilled water to “flush” the system.

Ask to see the “old” coolant and any contaminants removed from the system. Also ask to see the old heater core.

These systems don’t plug themselves and NOTHING in the coolant produces sludge unless something was introduced to the system.

Keep us posted.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah I'd pay for the flush too. My old man and I both have a post 14 ram 2500 with the 6.4. He did have a bad thermostat but he almost wanted to do the job himself (even though he had a warranty) and use the green coolant etc. All these old guys and even myself to a lesser extent (I'm 39) would do a job like this themselves and do exactly what he wanted to do. I bet that's what a previous owner did. Tossed in some other coolant. Get it flushed too.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
They are covering the heater core, but not the flush. I think that's kind of ridiculous, but maybe that's just me. As far as the transmission, I wish I could get them to put in an 8spd instead of the 6spd it currently has. I take it to the dealer for the oil changes, so the proper fluids get used ,and any major issues because of the warranty. I'm just worried what life is going to be like post warranty in another year or so. Maybe I've just got one of the lemons.

There is no feasible way to swap transmissions even if you were paying for it. They are only going to put a rebuilt 66RFE back in the truck. The only thing I've noticed when towing is you always need to use the tow mode (button) when towing. Otherwise the temps rise QUICKLY. I put a Mag-Hytec trans pan on my truck since it holds more fluid and hopefully the fins help keep it cooler. Good luck!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
There is no feasible way to swap transmissions even if you were paying for it. They are only going to put a rebuilt 66RFE back in the truck. The only thing I've noticed when towing is you always need to use the tow mode (button) when towing. Otherwise the temps rise QUICKLY. I put a Mag-Hytec trans pan on my truck since it holds more fluid and hopefully the fins help keep it cooler. Good luck!

+1

66RFE isn't a "bad" transmission - it is a marginal transmission. It's just big enough for its mission, without any margin. It can't be overloaded or lugged. That's why the "tow" shift mode is there - to keep engine rpm's up and torque / temp down. Also why they went with 68RFE and Aisin for the diesel.

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd advise you to call your regional rep and open a Star Case on this. you'd think Ram would want to insure it's not paying the labor again for a 3rd heater core and a coolant flush would be cheap insurance for that.

Also, dealers are always trying to charge the customer for xtra's they claim are not covered under warranty so they can make more money. This would include a no brainer coolant flush which has a high profit margin for them.

I'd also want the correct Mopar coolant put in not some BG snake oil coolant.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The cooling system in the 2013's up use OAT coolant. NOTHING ELSE can be mixed with it. Prior to OAT coolant was HOAT, they do not mix. If it got mixed, it will sludge and stop up your heater core.

If you go to a quick lube place and they top off your system, IT'S NOW CONTAMINATED! The parts stores says they have coolant that will mix with everything, THEY ARE WRONG!

You can only buy OAT coolant at the Dealership or ordered on line.

The core will have to be flushed by itself. Pull the two lines and power flush the core with water and air. Just letting the water pump move a flush additive will not get it out.

OP
OP
B

Big red 15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The dealer is replacing the heater core and flushing the entire cooling system, then replacing it with mopar coolant. The only place the truck has gone for oil changes since I bought it was the ram dealer. Hopefully the flush works. Still waiting on the MVP inspector to approve the transmission replacement. 24 to 48 hrs my ass. It's been a week, and just found out max care only reimburses $35 a day for 5 days for a rental car. And that will take 4-6 weeks to receive. The dealer said they will hopefully have a loaner back in the next couple of days.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
They’re not junk. Sometimes you just get a bad one. Every make every model very product. I just bought a brand new freezer didn’t work out of the box. **** happens. But man oh man ram dealers suck and make the repair process a nightmare

Nobody38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge transmissions SUCK!!! The RFE is the single worst transmission design ever made. It Sucked in 99 it sucked in 2014 ,15,etc.
Why do you think they use ZF transmissions now? The rfe is an overly complicated transmission that is at best barely reliable. I'm sure this post will make alot of fanboys mad,But if you tow in mountains or on curvy roads where you are accelerating and decelerating alot,It's gonna crap out. I'm sure there will be those on here that have 150,000 problem free miles but, that's not the norm. Oh yeah Hemi exhaust manifold bolts snap like limbs in an ice storm, it's got power though.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My former 2003 2500 has 150k miles, most towing 5th wheel, regular campers, and large boats all over the eastern half of the country. It has climbed mountains through NY, NE, PA, NC, and other states more times than I can count, and still going strong for parents who have it now. I am just one person, but I have never been let down yet, knock on wood. I don't push it past it's max, I compensate by lowering accessories weight if traveling in mountains, and keep maintenance up to date. On my third Ram now and believe the them to be reliable throughout. Key thing for me is I don't ever buy used trucks, I see how people abuse them sometimes. So that may be the unfortunate circumstance for the OP.

True story, public place out in the country where trucks came all the time to 4-wheel. One guy showed up every so often in a different truck. Finally found out he worked for a dealership and when a 4wd came in on trade he took it for the weekend to see what it could do. That was when I stopped buying used vehicles.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The RFE isn't and never has been a bad transmission, esp. in stock engine configuration form.

The RH/RE transmission is much more prone to failure vs. the RFE.

I do agree, it appears as if the ZF is far superior to either of the earlier transmissions.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Dodge transmissions SUCK!!! The RFE is the single worst transmission design ever made. It Sucked in 99 it sucked in 2014 ,15,etc.
Why do you think they use ZF transmissions now? The rfe is an overly complicated transmission that is at best barely reliable. I'm sure this post will make alot of fanboys mad,But if you tow in mountains or on curvy roads where you are accelerating and decelerating alot,It's gonna crap out. I'm sure there will be those on here that have 150,000 problem free miles but, that's not the norm. Oh yeah Hemi exhaust manifold bolts snap like limbs in an ice storm, it's got power though.

Not 150,000 cause I sold my 2013 RAM 2500 diesel with only 125k.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The RFE isn't and never has been a bad transmission, esp. in stock engine configuration form.
I think that can be the key. The vast majority of RFE problems I've read about here and on other boards are in modified trucks. Larger wheels/tires, tuners, lifted, engine mods, etc. But many of those folks seem take it in stride, knowing what they're doing is stressing the tranny. I've even read threads where they are trying to blow out the tranny so they can justify one of the after market trannys.

Not saying the RFE in a stock truck driven conservatively can't have issues. I'm sure it does happen. But to my reading on it, the RFE seems pretty darn reliable.