Ram 8.4 Uconnect Dead?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dennis W Halstead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I have a 2018 Ram 2500 Laramie with the 8.4 Uconnect system. The truck is very pristine with only 19k easy miles. I took it for a drive and noticed the Uconnect screen was dead black and not able to hear or operate the radio and climate controls. I used the google and tried all I could find. The hidden fuse was tested and good and power is good to the back of the Uconnect unit. I noticed the unit will change from dead black to a lighted black/blank display when put in reverse as the camera input is triggered but does not display the rear camera image. Removing battery power overnight did not resolve including several reset options. The physical climate buttons work but do not have any lights? Anyone have any suggestions, magic tricks or more troubleshooting techniques I should try? Aftermarket options?

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 2014 8.4 went out recently and had to be replaced. It would go black when starting the truck and then take 3-5 minutes to come on which is a bit different than what you describe but I'm thinking the outcome will be the same. Does it ever come on or just go between total black and dim black? Mine was under extended warranty but dealer said it would be +/- $1500 part and labor. I imagine you could do better finding one online.

OP
OP
D

Dennis W Halstead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
It stays totally black all the time and only dim black when I gear it to reverse.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The 2018 8.4's are known to fail. Most common is screen delamination. Sorry I don't have any solution besides replacement. Since you checked all the obvious things you might want to start looking for a new one. Don't waste time on 2018 models, go for newer ones that have 2018 issues fixed.

OP
OP
D

Dennis W Halstead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I appreciate the input. The screen is not delaminated and looks perfect. Very disappointed with such a vital failure as I bought this vehicle brand new and it is not even broken in yet. I was warned that the electronics would fail and the truck would fall apart around the Cummins engine. I tried to baby it and prove everyone wrong!! I already replaced both mirrors last year as the motors failed and would not deploy. I had 3 Fords, 2 Chevys and this Ram all fail but all 12 Toyotas never had equipment failure. I have a 2003 4Runner with 309K miles to this day that still runs perfect and every feature still functions including the factory cassette player!! This is a sad day and I am announcing I will trade this vehicle in for a Toyota. I am a proud American and I love my country but I can't afford to maintain American vehicles like this, especially in these times. I can't do it anymore!! Thank you everyone for trying to resolve this issue.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you actually need a 2500 you can't get a Toyota... they only make 1500. I'm unlucky and have 2 2018s with that radio... we had to replace the one on our van. Dealer covered some of the cost though which was nice. Still was $650 or$700. So far my 1500 radio has been fine but I expect it will eventually fail. If it were me I'd fix the truck and keep it... the only vehicles that have broken often enough to cause me to trade in were gm...

OP
OP
D

Dennis W Halstead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I don't need a 2500 but I wanted the Cummins engine and I went all out with the 4x4 and Mega Cab. If anyone is interested in buying it, make me an offer? It doesn't even have a door ding!! You just need to fix the 8.4 Uconnect. It has Amp Research power steps and rear bumper pop out step, HID high and low beam headlights and fog lights ($1200). New tow mirrors and $900 high end truck cover, RBP black locking fuel cover, both cloth and heavy duty rubber factory floor mats front and back, bed mat, suede dash cover, custom windshield shade, 6 seater, 19.4K original miles with 3 oil changes from dealer with 9 left until next year. New fuel filters @ 15K and air filter. Super clean and color is Granite with all black leather and badging. It would include all original factory parts that were upgraded. My dealership has given me nothing but issues every time I have brought it in for service. I called them on a Monday because they had a recall and I would have it serviced at the same time to bring it in on Saturday. I showed up first customer in the morning. They changed the oil and then told me "afterwards" they didn't have the part and forgot to order it when I called on Monday. I brought it in then following week and they then advised my window seals were defective and would take care of it at the same time. 7 hours later waiting at the dealership when they said it would only take 1.5 hours... they only had 3 of 4 window seals and I would have to come back again!! I am !$@#%*!@ DONE with this vehicle and $h!t service. Oh and 3 times they offered to wash my truck but didn't!! Just don't offer if you aren't going to do it!! I overlooked so much in such a short time but this is now too much!! I just want to feel I have quality, reliability and confidence in the vehicle or at least the dealership would take car of me and I don't. I can't even change the dang time in the vehicle right now!! I can't adjust the climate and AC which is only 108˚ today in Las Vegas! I never wanted to be that guy ..... but they made me that guy now!!

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I understand your frustration but I honestly wouldn't blame the brand. In my experience over the years it's the dealership that adds to the overall frustration. I learned that years ago and still drive 50 miles for service versus going to my local dealership. Good luck bud. Hopefully things will work out for you in whatever direction you choose.

OP
OP
D

Dennis W Halstead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I appreciate everyone here and sorry for the rant. 4 of the dealerships here all have negativity. I tried to stay loyal to the dealership where I bought the vehicle. So this brand is broke! If all 4 dealerships have this kind of reputation, the problem is bigger. I can work through some issues from a dealership or a malfunction in a vehicle. But to have a bad product and this be the reason I continually have to go to a bad dealership is overwhelmingly frustrating. I bought this expensive vehicle with hard earned American ethics. Now I am choosing to separate myself from this frustration. Again, I appreciate everyone here and thank you for all the input. I don't intend to offend anyone but I hope my story makes a change to better the experience for others.

Johng123

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am having the same U-connect problems a lot of others are having. I live in Central Oregon and it is showing I am somewhere in Northern California. Is there a fix for it yet? Thx