Ram Boxes good or bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
I don't know if the cover fading has been addressed. Don't get me wrong, in addition the amount of beer and ice you can put into these things, I also have used them for grocery bags, tools, etc. But my 2011 plastic covers have faded so much that they are grey/white. I've tried various "coatings" over the years with only mixed results. Always fading back.
years ago I plistidiped mine. looked like new and held up better than the original plastic. took a couple of coats

62291-f533c9479ead54025e48d7c468010587.jpg

IMG_4804.jpeg

48PowerWagon

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Want them badly but was unable to find when I went hunting for my used PW as it was I went 460 miles away to get what I did - So if anyone sees a Bed, with the boxes of course, for sale (PAR Paint Code) shoot me PM

Last edited:

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i would ditch mine for a full size bed in a heartbeat....
i am not a fan, not because they bend and warp, but because there is so much wasted space.... with the bed space, i could build in my air compressor and storage in a much more effective way... its just as easy to keep recovery tools or everyday items in a toolbox or bin right beyond the tailgate.

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
i am not a fan, not because they bend and warp, but because there is so much wasted space.... with the bed space, i could build in my air compressor and storage in a much more effective way... its just as easy to keep recovery tools or everyday items in a toolbox or bin right beyond the tailgate.

To each, his own! THAT is EXACTLY why I wanted mine, and bought the RAM with RAM boxes, to GET RID OF THE DANG crate I had sliding around in my bed for the last 20 years!! That milk crate used to drive me nuts!! It was either in the way, or slid to the front of the bed when I needed something out of it and couldn't reach it, or was tipping over with stuff all over the place, OR worse, getting stolen!

;)

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax

pcripley2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I needed my whole bed available so I could get a Diamond Back cover to haul my atv on and still have the bed for luggage and gear. I add 3 boxes that diamondback made as well for my recovery gear, fishing gear, and tools. Plus it gives me room to mount my onboard air.

View attachment 202984

View attachment 202985

View attachment 202986

View attachment 202987
They offer diamondback tonneau for rambox equipped trucks. I just ordered one last month.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

pcripley2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had them on my 2012 and didn't get them on my 2019 only because I bought from inventory and it had every option except the Ram Boxes. I miss them. What I can tell you is they were a great option. They never leaked, never warped and people thought they were a unique option. I stored all the usual stuff in one side (jumper cables, hitch ball and D-Ring, military shovel, tools, gloves, etc.) and the other side I left open for groceries, takeout food, guns when going to the range and of course filled it up with ice and beverages for day trips, beach runs, etc.

Unless you pile up sh*t in the back you do not lose considerable space. It still allows for 4 x 8 sheets of sheetrock, plywood, etc.
This is exactly how I use mine.

pcripley2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will it support an ATV?
Yes, as long as you opt for the HD version. They also have a smooth option instead of diamond plate, which I chose. The HD can hold 1600 lbs.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just went from a rambox truck to non rambox. I kind of miss them in the fact that all the **** I needed or wanted was always there. Problem is I couldn’t put a four wheeler in the bed. I didn’t want to spend 2 k on a diamondback to solve the problem. Also the fact that the covers had to be slammed pretty hard in the winter made me paranoid they’d break. Also the edges never lined up. Drove me crazy. The benefits didn’t quite outweigh the advantages. I’d argue they didn’t waste space but was I really using the extra space like I should? Honestly they mostly filled up with **** I didn’t need. Only thing I really liked having was my air compressor jumper cables tow strap small tool kit and trailer hitch.

Last edited:

Airmousam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
They bug my eyes, and every time I seem to see one they dont seem to line up cleanly..dunno, just not for me

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
yeah it's annoying they didn't design them with a latch on either side so they'd adjust better. They have the stop over on each side that are adjustable but only if they fell below the line of the bed. Not if they were warped above.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I use my regular bed, under the rails
I hang my PVC just above the wheel area & below the bed rails.
The PVC holds things like long painters poles or Height Measuring Poles

1647140539456.png
You may not have noticed, but he is in the process of raising the measuring pole to see if the load with fit through the bridge in front of the semi truck, he will measure the bridge next
The image is photoshopped

My Ram

1647141242368.png

1647141366797.png

1647141451821.png

1647141522486.png