Ram Cab/Chassis detuned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

speedracer67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Ram 2015 HD 3500 Diesel. I have been told that the C/C engine is de tuned where the same engine in a PU is not.
Is this correct? Is there anything I can do to the computer or ??? to get more HP/torque without voiding the warranty?
Truck is used in Oilfield Hotshot runs.
TIA
Rick

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes all cab and chassis models and most fleet models from all the big three are detuned.

Yes there are tuning options . Any reputable diesel shop would be able to help you.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I heard about the de-tuning of the engines, it was on the diesel trucks that had a manual transmission.
Something about the factory clutch not being able to hold the full HP/TQ of the Cummins. And for whatever reason, they decided to de-tune the engine, rather than using a better clutch.

Don’t know if there is any truth to it, but that’s what I heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
CC= Crew Cab
RC= Regular Cab
QC= Quad Cab
PU= pickup
SB= Short Bed
LB= Long Bed

Example, a CCSB is a Crew Cab Short Bed truck.

More specifically, as it relates to this thread, when the / is there (C/C), it typically means Cab and Chassis. Just means that it is a truck without a bed. They are sold that way so you can add whatever specific bed you want, like a welding bed, service bed, tow truck bed, etc....
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
CC= Crew Cab
RC= Regular Cab
QC= Quad Cab
PU= pickup
SB= Short Bed
LB= Long Bed
These also change whether it's a 1500 vs the HD trucks.
A LB on a 1500 four door(CC or QC) is the 6.4' which is the SB on a HD truck but an 8' on a RC for all of them.
A SB on the 1500 four door is the 5.7' bed but is the 6.4' bed on the RC.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes it is de-tuned compared to the other models (so is the manual PU). And No there is nothing you can do that will not void the warranty. There are tuning options but any and all will void the warranty.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
He called it a CC engine. I figured that was some sort of Cummins-something-or-other.

Yeah, I don't understand why they would detune an engine of a specific cab configuration, either.

A tuner and a DEF/exhaust delete, and you'd have a monster, from what I understand.

OP
OP
S

speedracer67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How does the detune work on the Cab/Chassis engine? I guess the computer has a different setup?? Looks like you could retune the computer. Could the dealer do that if he wanted? I guess that is why there are so many PU beds for sale in the oilfield areas. Take them off and then install a flat bed or welding bed. Uncle Sugar is looking out for us again!!!

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
The C&C trucks are considered commercial, and are tested for a different duty rating, and by a different method, engine dyno vs chassis dyno. They are also detuned because they figure they will be used at max GVWR all day every day. As we all know, that's why we see hotshotters with dually pickups loaded to the gills.

But, there are significant differences that make the C&C trucks workhorses. The frame is much beefier and has straight rails at industry standard width behind the cab for easy fitment of bodies, bigger axles, bigger brakes, bigger t-case, wide track front axles on the 4500 and 5500, the DEF tank is almost twice as big, 19.5" commercial grade tires, and the option for 74(52+22)gallons of fuel capacity on board from the factory.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How does the detune work on the Cab/Chassis engine? I guess the computer has a different setup?? Looks like you could retune the computer. Could the dealer do that if he wanted? I guess that is why there are so many PU beds for sale in the oilfield areas. Take them off and then install a flat bed or welding bed. Uncle Sugar is looking out for us again!!!

Yes, it is the same engine, just a different tuning on the computer. The dealer cannot, will not change it. You can tune it yourself with aftermarket tuners but you are throwing your warranty out the window. Pretty big gamble to take. Some people do it with no regrets, others kick themselves when a turbo or transmission fails and it comes out of pocket to repair.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
IIRC an owner on another forum, who has owned a 4500 and a 5500, showed that the turbocharger is different than the pickups.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are usually de-tuned for clean air idle emissions. Depending on the class, 4500-6500 they usually will have a more down low torque tune with a different compressor setup.

OP
OP
S

speedracer67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are the HD 3500 beefed up over the 3500 PU?
I wish I had a 4500.

GaryH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They also put this engine in large diesel pusher motor homes with Allison transmissions that can handle the extra power. Front engine motorhomes (FRED) do not have room for the larger Allison so they use the smaller version and de-tune. De-tuning is probably to save your transmission.