Ram Projectors w/HID - Uneven Brightness Left to Right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fernandok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I recently did quad to projector conversion with a GTR 55w 6k HID kit. My question is the drivers side supposed to be dimmer than the passenger side?

Here’s what I’ve done:

1. Swapped bulbs left to right with no difference.
2. Swapped ballasts left to right with no difference.
3. Tried a NEW set of HID bulbs.
4. I trimmed a tang on the bulb and tried rotating the HID bulb so the return wire is pointing down. No difference.

I took some photos and attached them. All photos were taken at the same camera exposure. The right side is definitely brighter.

First shot is the truck 3 feet away from the boards - second shot is ~30ish feet from the boards.

Ramprojectorss.jpg
Ram-headlights.jpg

Last edited:

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Sounds like you've eliminated everything but the projector lens itself, which is probably the culprit.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Bad ballast?

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Shame. It was a BNIB projector headlight from the dealership.

Swapped left to right as mentioned already.

Oh yeah, look at that. Reading is fun-demental...

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I recently did quad to projector conversion with a GTR 55w 6k HID kit. My question is the drivers side supposed to be dimmer than the passenger side?

Here’s what I’ve done:

1. Swapped bulbs left to right with no difference.
2. Swapped ballasts left to right with no difference.
3. Tried a NEW set of HID bulbs.
4. I trimmed a tang on the bulb and tried rotating the HID bulb so the return wire is pointing down. No difference.

I took some photos and attached them. All photos were taken at the same camera exposure. The right side is definitely brighter.

First shot is the truck 3 feet away from the boards - second shot is ~30ish feet from the boards.

What all is involved in that conversion harness that was installed on the truck??

To me it looks like the truck is not sending full power to one side. Reason why the bulb and ballasts swaps didn't make a difference.

OP
OP
fernandok

fernandok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
What all is involved in that conversion harness that was installed on the truck??

To me it looks like the truck is not sending full power to one side. Reason why the bulb and ballasts swaps didn't make a difference.
Just a headlight conversion harness from The Retrofit Source.

If it wasn't sending full power, wouldn't it trigger a message error?

Great insight though, maybe if I have time tomorrow I'll try swapping the conversion harness from left to right.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Just a headlight conversion harness from The Retrofit Source.

If it wasn't sending full power, wouldn't it trigger a message error?

Great insight though, maybe if I have time tomorrow I'll try swapping the conversion harness from left to right.

Not sure if it would trigger a message error.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the same thing to a much lesser extent with my TYC projectors. After replacing ballasts, bulbs, switching sides, etc, I realized my passenger side lens has a purplish tint to it, and the drivers side is clear.
0B6F92B1-E486-491D-B324-4CE38703EA3D.jpeg

yours looks like the hotspot disappears on the drivers side. Almost like the bulb isn’t seated properly. I saw the same thing with my alpharex headlights, which is why I went back to the TYC. Thankfully, I don’t notice the different le in my lights much anymore unless I’m parked in front of my garage door.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've read of this a few times in the past few weeks and the issue goes back a few years. Speculation is to prevent blinding oncoming drivers with the drivers side beam.

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The output overall on both look super weak for some reason. I have the same HID’s in factory projectors and they light up the whole city block. I can’t even see the wall yours are pointed at?

here are mine from 30’

AE676361-D6BC-4F77-A6D5-5489A788BFD8.png

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The output overall on both look super weak for some reason. I have the same HID’s in factory projectors and they light up the whole city block. I can’t even see the wall yours are pointed at?

here are mine from 30’

View attachment 234233
He could have adjusted the exposure so that the difference between the 2 was more noticeable.

OP
OP
fernandok

fernandok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
^^^ I purposly dropped the exposure by like 300% to focus on the hotspots.

They are bright, don't get be wrong, it's just this little detail that annoys me.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
This was one of my last adjustment shots almost 2 years ago. I'll have to snap a couple tonight.

20191003_190629.jpg

20191003_190635.jpg

Setup:
Factory projectors
Morimoto 4300k bulbs
Morimoto XB 35w ballasts, ignitor
Morimoto LED fog lights
Yellow Lamin-X cover for fogs.
No additional harness of any kind
Alfaobd was used to program the necessary changes to BCM.

Not a bad HID upgrade though.

This is my 2nd HID conversion. My girls camry was my test bed :D:D:D

I'm sure professionals can pic apart my setup but my purpose was to show what the truck does without using a harness integrated with canbus.

The more I think about @hunterdan is on to something about the one side being brighter/dimmer than the other on purpose. The harness may just be exposing that programing and using 55w ballasts really exposes it?

I didn't think about exposure either. It's like adding a magnifying glass to it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fernandok

fernandok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
So, I searched some more on Google and ended up finding that this might be normal as someone already mentioned.

Here's a stock bulb photo, you can clearly see the drivers side hotspot is much smaller.

RAM_5000k_HID_7.jpg

And with a HID kit - this is literally what mine looks like.

RAM_5000k_HID_23.jpg

OP
OP
fernandok

fernandok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
@RedSRT4Me That looks exactly like my truck when I don't crank down the exposure. Lol. Safe to say it's normal and I'm just being **** about details that have no cure.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I'll snap a night time photo of the ACTUAL light it emits tonight.

OP
OP
fernandok

fernandok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Sorry this took so long, but yes there is in fact nothing wrong with my lights. I was just focusing on a detail that cannot be fixed. As someone mentioned, Ram does this on purpose to stop you from blinding oncoming traffic.

Here's my lights on the drive.. don't mind the poor quality

006-E5-DA0-65-B2-4336-B063-2-A9-E57440-A7-E.jpg