Ram ranks highest ranking American brand in loyalty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deanoldo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My first Chrysler product was a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was an idiot and bought it the first year of the major remodel. It was a piece of garbage. I had to replace all 4 brake rotors twice due to warping, the power steering pump, the transmission was rebuilt, and a few other things. It started making noises again and I had enough. Everything was fixed under warranty, but my wife had gotten to the point that she wouldn't take it on trips because she was afraid it would leave us stranded. I traded it in an a GMC Yukon. In the 11 years I owned the GMC, I replaced normal consumables (brakes, tires, batteries) and the fuel pump.

Fast forward to now, I was bound and determined to get a GMC truck and I was still holding a grudge against Chrysler over that Jeep. We went and looked at a few GMC and Chevy trucks and I just wasn't impressed with the fit/finish or the engine power. (There was no way I was buying a Ford...) So, we decided to head over to Ram and just take a look. My wife absolutely loved the Laramie interior and the ride of the truck. It actually rides better than the old Yukon did. I joined this forum to see what people had to say about them and then eventually pulled the trigger when we found one we liked. The options you get for the price is pretty unbeatable. It tows my trailer like it's not even there and I just enjoy driving it. Hell, sometimes I just park it in the sun and look at it. :)

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
My first Chrysler product was a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was an idiot and bought it the first year of the major remodel. It was a piece of garbage. I had to replace all 4 brake rotors twice due to warping, the power steering pump, the transmission was rebuilt, and a few other things. It started making noises again and I had enough. Everything was fixed under warranty, but my wife had gotten to the point that she wouldn't take it on trips because she was afraid it would leave us stranded. I traded it in an a GMC Yukon. In the 11 years I owned the GMC, I replaced normal consumables (brakes, tires, batteries) and the fuel pump.

Fast forward to now, I was bound and determined to get a GMC truck and I was still holding a grudge against Chrysler over that Jeep. We went and looked at a few GMC and Chevy trucks and I just wasn't impressed with the fit/finish or the engine power. (There was no way I was buying a Ford...) So, we decided to head over to Ram and just take a look. My wife absolutely loved the Laramie interior and the ride of the truck. It actually rides better than the old Yukon did. I joined this forum to see what people had to say about them and then eventually pulled the trigger when we found one we liked. The options you get for the price is pretty unbeatable. It tows my trailer like it's not even there and I just enjoy driving it. Hell, sometimes I just park it in the sun and look at it. :)

Glad you are enjoying your Ram. Those '99 GC's were known to have a lot of issues unfortunately. My parents always bought Cherokees and they were as reliable as the sun.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had a couple Jeep Grand Cherokees, one was an '03. Always gotten up to 200k easily w/o any major problems. A 95 we had went over 300k with the i6, but eventually rusted out. So far so good on the 2012 Ram.. Dodge cars I've rented were good to drive (but I didn't own them). But from from spending a week behind the wheel it was nice to see they've come along in terms of ride/ergonomics and quality.

OP
OP
TruckNut

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Always liked Chrysler drive trains. After 100,000 miles and 10 years on my 92 Dakota 318 V8, I was sold. Worked the crap out of that truck. Bought a 2002 Ram, then a 2015 2WD, and now my 3rd.......2017 Laramie 4WD. They are nice trucks!

ePhoenix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best engine for the 1500 remains the 5.7 Hemi. Solid. Durable. Proven. But I agree that although it is much more frugal than it used to be, it remains a thirstier engine. But how much is two and half months of work worth? :)

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I decided to get a RAM, the ONLY engine choice for me was the tried and true 5.7 HEMI. Why would anyone want to complicate things with an eco diesel motor? Couple lousy MPG better? Or even a pentastar for that matter?

No, I'm happy with my choice of an "old school" RAM

WWDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 & 1998
Engine
5.9 Gas & 5.9 Diesel
I have read that there have been quite a few of reported rod failures on the 3.0L diesel engine used in the Eco Ram. With some even being thrown through the side of the block!
Many attribute the problems to the recommended 5W-30 weight oil which has now been upgraded by FCA who now recommends 5W-40 weight oil or higher.
The engine is a 3.0L VM Motori design and built engine that was similar to what is used in the Jeep Cherokees.
The 2.8L baby Duramax diesel engine being used in the Chevy/GMC Colorado and Canyons is also a VM Motori design engine with a different GM designed head.
(GM actually owned about 50% of VM for a while)
VM Motori also supplied the 2.8L diesel engine that was used in the 05 & 06 Jeep Liberty's which turned out to be a very reliable engine if maintained properly and had the EGR system totally removed. Many of them are still on the road today! I have one of them!
VM Motori engines are used all over the world in boats, taxis, cars, trucks, and a multitude of other stationary applications. They are known for their reliability and dependability when not laden and choked with all the environmental equipment forced on them in this country by the EPA!
All the added environmental systems on the Ram EcoDiesel is probably plays a big part of why these engines are having issues....

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
my 2012 bighorn with the hemi has had 1 issue in the 6 years I have had it--a cracked window washer jet--and that was fixed free on extended warranty!! I am impressed everyday I drive it--runs as smooth and strong as day 1..

OzCop

Reaction score
Highland Village, TX...north of Dallas about 28 mi
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Ecodiesel
Engine
Ecodiesel
Ecodiesels seem to be hit or miss. Some ppl are on their 3rd motor - warranty from FCA.

Lots ppl leave ram after experiencing a ecodiesel.

But there are just as many that literally bought a 2nd ecodiesel already.

So it's so hit/miss
Indeed, I have two friends already on their second ecoD 1500, both after 100 K miles of successful, trouble free ownership. One actually had 140 K plus of pulling a 20 ft. enclosed trailer and race car around the country. That inspired me to trade my '14 Longhorn 1500 with only 30 K miles on the Hemi powered 4 WD truck, for a 2017 Laramie with EcoD...I miss the amenities on my Longhorn, but am enjoying the local and highway fuel mileage.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On a facebook Ram group I'm in (with a lot of really annoying people) there are quite a few people with 200k+ 5.7s and even some in the 350k mile range

Raymond1050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco diesel 3.0
Well good news!!! Got long block, oil cooler, fuel pump, 2 new injectors, and new engine cover. N/C. Got truck back in ten weeks. She spun a main bearing. It sounded like the early 14, 15 eco's were hit or miss. !st engine shipped was pulled back by FCA.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Unfortunately a large number of people blindly believe that Mopars are all unreliable and have garbage quality. And fanboys of other brands LOVE to hit their go to "Chrysler reliability" note because it's easy and what else can they say when Mopar is building exciting stuff? There are cars that Chrysler has built over the recent decades that can raise an eye brow, but they have made massive improvements on overall fit and finish over the last 10 years. And the reputation of REAL unreliability has been blown out of proportion. Chrysler can cut down on the electrical gremlins and small issues from the factory, (which is what kills their standings on the chart) but these cars will not break down or leave you stranded any quicker than any other new car.

I have bought 3 brand new Mopars in the past few years. Ram HD and 2 Dodges. I had a minor electrical gremlin with the first Charger. Other than that there have been no issues and the quality, paint, fit and finish of all of them have been perfect. The Charger is SOLID. Inside and out. I love being in that car. It is not as fancy as the Laramie, but it feels put together just as well if not even a little better.

My parents had owned multiple Jeeps through the 90's-2000's and every single one of them was dead reliable. Literally not a single issue or gremlin over the course of ownership. One of those Jeeps they had for 13 years. Materials quality was lacking, but what were GM or Ford building in the late 90's - early 2000's that was any better?? Lol. And today Mopars take the win on interior layout and quality over GM and Ford IMO.

Most people who think Mopars have bad quality interiors today have never even sat in one... They look at pics online and follow like sheep the opinions of others. Or a journalist will knock the Charger "quality" for not having a stitched leather dash... oh boo hoo. People love to rave about the quality of the European or Japanese interiors, I have owned and spend time in a variety of both and let me tell you, the grass sure as **** isn't greener. The only one I would say is worth of actually being called out as a step above the rest is Mercedes Benz, but you do pay for it.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Love my 2015 Ram. Dead nuts reliable. And Mercedes Benz....My uncle has a 2014 S550....lots, and lots of issues with it. WAY more than my Ram. As I've had no issues with my Ram

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Love my 2015 Ram. Dead nuts reliable. And Mercedes Benz....My uncle has a 2014 S550....lots, and lots of issues with it. WAY more than my Ram. As I've had no issues with my Ram

I had a couple of Benz's...I'll never make that mistake again.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
German cars used to be very reliable, you can still get a good one but they are nothing like they used to be. Luck of the draw now. Materials quality is certainly there. But they have become a freak show of tech.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think folks just find something they like and stick with it.
This is my first Ram truck, and Ill stick with it for a few years but it will most certainly be my Last.. I'll never buy another.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Losing me as a long time customer. Two and a half months in the shop with a blown eco D 1500 and still waiting for parts. 60k on the engine. Something let go in the bottom end.
You've been Fiat'd!

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Regarding Mercedes, I visited Stuggart in 1999 when Daimler first took over Chrysler. Worse marriage ever. German were all about quality back then, slow production lines etc. After that visit we hosted the Germans to Brampton where we built the current 300, Charger, and Challenger. They were impressed with our line speed and quality. Since the divorce Mercedes has committed to profits not quality.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome stuff.
I'm on my second Ram truck. Had the first one for almost 11 years and the new one I've only had a little over 2 years so far.

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was a Ford guy until I was going to get ripped off by Ford on my trade in. Certainly glad Ford didn’t want my business.
Love my RAM!