2017 Ram Rebel: 4737 Miles in 11 days: A Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey Gang! Sorry this is so long but I wanted to post up my thoughts on my overall experience of taking a very long trip in my new Ram!

I purchased my Ram Rebel on 08-01-2017. I had 3908 miles on it on February 8th when I left for vacation. I take (2) long driving trips every year and this February was Minnesota to Palm Springs, CA. My parents live out there in the winter and I drove out there with the girlfriend. The weather was great and the truck was perfect. Figured I’d give a review of the Ram on a very long trip.

Hemi/8-Speed: This combo is absolutely amazing. I had the same in my 2014 Durango R/T but needed a bit more cab room and the Rebel fit the bill. The Hemi never missed a beat and the transmission is so smooth…shifts perfectly and ran great. I have the 3.92 gears and love ‘em.

Overall space: Perfect for 2 people. Suitcases in the back under the Tonneau cover and camera cases/laptop and other extras in the back seat. Love this truck! I’m 6’6”/280lbs so I love the extra leg room and overall space in the cab.

Carven Progressive/5" Tips: Love this exhaust! Never had any issues with the drone (there is a bit) and I always turn the MDS off in town but out on the highway it was perfect. You can tell the exhaust is there but it was never overwhelming. My iPod and XM Radio and conversation covers it. My 75 year old mother rode in the back seat for 4 hours and never mentioned a thing and we didn't have any issues. No raspiness and creates a great V8 Hemi rumble....!

GPS/Other amenities: Love this truck! The center console held my 2 cell phones (work/personal) and the main center area held all kinds of stuff…extra mag for my gun/pens/gum/hand sanitizer, etc. I have a Lock-er-Down console safe in the lower armrest part and it was perfect for my HK VP9 9mm handgun/Go-Pro and money/receipt bag that I bring along. I was able to safely secure these items overnight and not worry about having anything stolen. The dash GPS was great and my Garmin GPS was perfect. I run them both on vacations. In dash to hotel addresses and my Garmin for daily stuff such as attractions/restaurants, etc. The Garmin seems to have a much better library of these items.

Rambox: Absolutely loved it…invaluable. I carry all kinds of stuff in my Rambox…first aid kit, tow rope, jumper cables, tie downs…. but on this trip I had all kinds of extra stuff in there….some adult beverages, bags with gifts/souvenirs, towels, couple pairs of shoes, jackets, etc. Love these things!

Mileage: This is where the Ram lacks a bit. I will say I didn’t buy this truck for the mileage and I saw a bumper sticker in in California on a car that said “There’s more to life than gas mileage!” This was a perfect saying…

4737 Miles in 11 days: February 8th to 18th, 2018

Gas: 89 Octane when I could, 3 fill ups with 87 (all that was available)

Gas Cost: $2.59 to $3.45 per gallon

Total Gas Cost: $854.06

Gallons: 308.09

Overall Mileage averaged: 15.37

While the mileage wasn’t the greatest I’ll take it. I didn’t buy this truck for the mileage…I bought it for the extra room and comfort. It was perfect. Had a nasty headwind coming back in Kansas…14 mpg. I had nice tailwind up in Iowa and got 17 on the last tank.

32 gallon tank: I pushed it on the way back on 3 tank fulls. Each time it was down to 40 miles left (dash notice) and needle laying on the red. I have the 32 gallon tank so I knew I had 6 or so gallons left as the truck computer is only updated to calculate for 26 gallons…many of you know about that problem…

Highest fill ups: 26.69 gallons / 26.94 gallons / 26.47 gallons Each time the needle was on red and the gas low light was on.

Tires: The stock Toyo tires on the Rebel were great. No issues….they were quiet and very comfortable. I left Minnesota on the 8th and the it was -1 degree…and I had the tires at 50 front/47 rear (near recommended). I got down to New Mexico and 60 degrees and they had gone up to 63/59 or so….wow… I was amazed that the tires would go up that much with the temperature. I let some air out and got them down to 55/52 or so and they stayed that way for the rest of the trip until I got back to Minnesota last night and 20 degree temps. They’re about 50/47 again. I can tell you letting 10 seconds of air out of a Rebel tire = -4 lbs I had to do this twice to get them down a bit when I hit the warmer weather.

Catch Can: I emptied my catch can before I left and completely forgot about it until I got back. It was full or near full but all clean oil/no issues. I’ll try not to do this again…I usually empty it around 1000-1300 miles and its about ½ full.

I had a new oil change before leaving and its now about 50% oil usage (after returning).

Overall a great trip…got to see the Grand Canyon Skywalk (Spendy but worth it at least once in your life), the Hoover Dam, Joshua Tree National Park, Palm Springs Aerial Tram and spend 3 days at the pool in great weather.

I drove my 2014 Durango R/T (Hemi) to all 4 corners of the US in 2 years....Southern CA, NW Washington State, Maine and Key West (twice). I love to drive and my Ram is up next to hit all 4 corners of the US (may take a bit longer though)....

Next up in June…not sure yet…probably the Smokey Mountains!

Couple pictures: Joshua Tree National Park (minus the dash pic of course :) )

Xi1m6aEl.jpg

MX9jEu7l.jpg

LaXtgytl.jpg

Love my Ram and love this community!

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The beautiful thing about our trucks is that they are chameleons, having the ability to do anything. Haul 1000 lbs of rock in the a.m. and go to the opera in the evening. Or, comfortably road trip 5,000 miles in a vehicle built with off-road capabilities!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
GREAT write up! also nice pics. thanks for sharing

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
thanks for sharing that info
great write up

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great story.....that’s some serious driving. I also had a Durango R/T but needed a better tow vehicle, and the Ram fit the bill. Did love that Durango though.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great write up, truck looks great. I’m taking mine on a family vacay to Florida this summer. Looking forward to it now.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From California, I've taken mine to Arizona (1200 miles total), Texas (3500 miles total), and Washington (2700 miles total). Such a comfortable road trip vehicle!

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Good story, thanks for sharing. That's some serious windshield time! I complain about driving 900 or so miles to Florida and 900 back in a week.

Glad you had a safe and fun trip.