Ram Riding and Handling absolutely terrible!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bet better shocks and struts(ecodiesel version) will make a big difference. I think what was used for shocks and struts was poor quality and possibly not for the ecodiesel. That along with the weight you have on the front of the truck compounded the issue.

OP
OP
GovernorBudNH

GovernorBudNH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel v6
Kurek offers great advice, but don't prematurely jump the gun. Find the problem before just throwing an entire new suspension at it. It took me almost a full year of fiddling with my RAM 2500 before I got the aftermarket suspension on my truck dialed in. Now it floats compared to stock, but it was a lot of trial and error.
Agreed. Trying to undo BAD work, find the problem and do this right within financial resources and reason. That's the challenge and why I am at this site with all the experience out there.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh... yeah that's it right there. Left Front.JPG

That's a one size fits all strut/coil combo on the heaviest version of the truck and it's probably slamming off the bumpstops every time you hit a crack on the road.

If you posted this photo first it would have saved you a bit of time! :) You'll need ecodiesel coil springs, or aftermarket struts that can be adjusted for the weight of the ecodiesel and the added winch/etc up front.

The good news is now that the problem is apparent so is a solution.

OP
OP
GovernorBudNH

GovernorBudNH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel v6
NO Ram are built in Canada, they are built in US or Mexico plant. Now it may be a Canada spec RAM out of US but, again, NOT built in Canada. Also sounds like the problem with the RAM is NOT the RAM's fault but whoever owned it before and screwed it up !! Don't blame RAM for some idiotg messing with it wrong.
The Canadian(s) who according to the carfax bought the truck and did the modifications in Quebec obviously did a poor job and used inferior components. I don't blame Ram. Challenge now is to do this right within reason. I did contact manufacturer about the recalls done and the diesal lawsuit. I was told since this was a Canadian Vehicle, the warranty and lawsuit did not apply in the US. At the end of the day, An $80k vehicle should not ride this poorly. (Thankfully I paid less than half)

Attachments

• RAM Sticker English.png
    RAM Sticker English.png
    550.2 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
GovernorBudNH

GovernorBudNH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel v6
Oh... yeah that's it right there. View attachment 474833

That's a one size fits all strut/coil combo on the heaviest version of the truck and it's probably slamming off the bumpstops every time you hit a crack on the road.

If you posted this photo first it would have saved you a bit of time! :) You'll need ecodiesel coil springs, or aftermarket struts that can be adjusted for the weight of the ecodiesel and the added winch/etc up front.

The good news is now that the problem is apparent so is a solution.
"Slamming off the bumpstops at each crack in the road." You nailed it. Any specifics on aftermarket strut kits that would solve this?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any specifics on aftermarket strut kits that would solve this?

This depends on how you plan to use the truck. Will it be primarily on road or will the truck see some off roading as well? if it will see some off roading what type and speed are we looking at?

OP
OP
GovernorBudNH

GovernorBudNH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel v6
I use the truck to pull a 5000 lb camper (500 lb hitch weight) mostly New England highways summer and winter. Planning to go xcountry next summer with camper. Secondary roads terrible with frost heaves pretty much launching the Ram as well as the fillings in my teeth.

Off roading on logging roads in Maine but nothing like we used to do out west in the mountains/desert above Palm Springs. That's why I always had a winch on all my trucks.

Also use the truck for hauling firewood. 4x4 and ground clearance seem to handle New England well in winter. For 10 years I had a Tundra and never ran into these issues. This time around I thought I'd try Ram based on their ride as I had rented a 2500 in fact from Enterprise in NH to pull the trailer last year. My mistake was not buying a stock vehicle. It would seem based on all the advice so far from you guys, that a "fix" is doable as long as
I choose the components carefully.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would recommend better rear shocks and a real upgrade on the front for a strut or coilover. With the logging roads and bad secondary roads you are going to want something more than stock or a minor upgrade up front.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Quebec is a ********. I should know I was born and raised there.

Seriously 6112s will solve your issues.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah if you're in a good economic position, Fox 2.0 coilovers would be a great solution up front, just dial the ride height up until the CV axles are level at rest and your front should be taken care of. Verify it yourself but I think the part number is 983-02-050

Bilstein 6112's would address the problem the same way but in your case since you need to replace the entire assembly that means also buying new upper strut mounts... I actually think the total $ would be the same and the Fox 2.0's give you the advantage of being able to dial in your exact ride height without disassembling them and reassembling them like you have to with the 6112's.

If you need to be more thrifty you'll still need a strut that comes with the lower spring seat (many popular ones don't) and does NOT come with a one-size-fits-all coil spring because that's kinda the exact problem you are experiencing already. That gets tricky. You could get Eibach E30-27-001-03-20 front coil springs (excellent quality and ecodiesel specific) and install them on ProComp ZX2017(? Verify part #) struts (better than stock, basically bilstein 5100 knockoffs but with a more plush ride) and OE upper strut mounts.

The reason I recommend those struts is they fit the Eibach springs, but they come with the lower spring seats. Eibach themselves make some excellent struts but they require you to reuse the OE seats which you don't have and are a real pain in the dingus to obtain.

For the rear, get the rear version of whatever fronts you buy. I don't know what the Fox part number would be for a 4" lifted truck but with ProComp that would be ZX2001 - as mentioned before make sure to test it at full droop to ensure the coils cannot fall out, the shock reaching its extension limit is the only thing holding the coils in your truck and it's better to take care of that at the shop than anywhere else it could happen.

Last edited:

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Quality options for the front without going to 2.5 coilovers
Fox 2.0 coilovers-(probably the best option of this list)
6112's
Eibach pro kit, just the front

Rear shocks I would recommend the Fox adventure series that are an option for the Zone 4" kits. They are a good shock and will be long enough to work with your lift.

Let us know if you want a quote on anything.

OP
OP
GovernorBudNH

GovernorBudNH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel v6
Spoke with Eibach and Pro-Comp today. The techs asked which coil springs on the truck as they agree thats a major issue. See photo. I wasn't able to determine maker despite the branding.

Eibach seems to think their kit, E-80-27-001-03-22 would work. Asked to send photos. The question was the exact lift. Is it 3" or 4". I'll have to head to a dealer and measure a another Ram 1550 ecodiesel to compare.

Pro-Comp (owned by Smittybuilt) tech did say that their ZX2017 struts only work with 6" lift and the Rears (ZX2001 are discontinued and couldnt help further)

Attachments

• RAM SPRING.jpg
    RAM SPRING.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 7
  • RAMSPRING_2.jpg
    RAMSPRING_2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 7

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pro-Comp (owned by Smittybuilt) tech did say that their ZX2017 struts only work with 6" lift and the Rears (ZX2001 are discontinued and couldnt help further)

It might have been ZX2014 - it's a strut made for stock height because from the strut's perspective you are at stock height. The spacers "don't exist" to the strut unless you're buying struts built specifically for a 4" lift (some of the Rough Country ones, for example are built with an extended length for that purpose) , Then you would put the Eibach ecodiesel-specific coil spring on it, with a stock upper strut mount.

ProComp ZX2028 rears shocks are built for stock height or slightly lifted 1500's but may not be long enough to work with your truck's rear lift. At this point I don't think it's been established exactly how much rear lift you have.

Last edited:

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The question was the exact lift. Is it 3" or 4". I'll have to head to a dealer and measure a another Ram 1550 ecodiesel to compare.

It's going to be a 4" lift, there's kind of a gap in possible (acceptable) lift heights, between "two-ish" and 4+ ... anything under 4" would not use a bracket like yours has on the lower control arms.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From what I see on your truck, it looks like a 4" to me. That lower bracket on the cross member is a giveaway that it is not a smaller lift than 4"

Keifus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
If there are spacers in the front that are like 2 inches thick or more with factory springs and shocks then sorry to say they’re maxed out and that’s where the horrible ride comes in to correct this problem while keeping the same height and not breaking the bank is go with something like a rough country spring and shock leveling kit. Let me find you this video that explains everything. Ive been doing lifts for a few years now and this guys pretty much on point. https://youtu.be/lFTHIY7ojeQ

VIZ28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sell the truck.

You mention you want to use a truck camper. You will need at least a 2500 for this.

Andersoncma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My 2011 Ram 2500 had a bad case of the death wobble, so I added BDS Steering Stabilizer with dual 2.0 Fox shock dampeners, installed aftermarket Moog steering linkage and tie rods, went with leveling kit instead of a lift, added Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags, truck rides on 325/60R20….and now truck handles great. I still wanted my truck to ride like a truck, while greatly improving the handling

Attachments

• 68B869C9-186B-43BC-9685-058AAE3DC868.jpeg
    68B869C9-186B-43BC-9685-058AAE3DC868.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 10

cash4acres

4lb pompano
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L,660ftLbs=G56 Manual 6 speed
I learned 1 thing owning trucks, don't lift them and put bigger tires.
On the education tree consumers are 7th smartest(dumbest)
6th racers & shop specific techs
5th shop mechanics
4th factory mechanics
3rd design engineers
2nd chemistry engineers
1st metal scientists

I did use deleted and maximum MPGs tips on line. I get 25-30 mpgs freeway monthly. 450k
2015 Ram Cummins 2500 4x4 quad cab, g56+6speed, camper shell CERT emergency truck, 10,500lbs.

130ton mile/gallon me
160ton mile/gallon 18 wheeler
500ton mile/gallon diesel trains

I do average about 12-16cents a mile cheaper than stock using RAM Firestone Transforce 2757018 HT takeoff tires, so this truck paid for it self in 300,000 miles!

Smooth car ride.IMG_20200322_132101367_HDR.jpg