Ram trucks arent what they used to be.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Money ain’t what it used to be. Was able to get bread for a nickel, milk was cheaper than gasoline, houses cost 1/10th of what they do now. Husband could work 40 daylight and Wife didn’t have to. College tuition was affordable.

Then the gold standard was quit, “money” (paper) printed on demand, government federally insuring college loans, so why not increase tuition astronomically if you will get paid no matter what? F*ing government.

I'll bet you also used to walk 5 miles to school in the snow uphill both ways. :****sweak:

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6

Hooooly ****! I almost bought a used 1500 off of them! (Tonkin's Subaru dealership in Beaverton, anyway.)

We live in the same region (and there's a few others about who do as well. I'm prolly the outlier way out here in Columbia County, though.)

I bought mine off of Royal Moore Subaru in Hillsboro if you're curious. I did so because 1) I like red, and 2) they had no idea what they had, so I scored it for $22k.

Okay... this may be a bit of a drive for you, but drag it to ****'s Chrysler Jeep Ram in Hillsboro (if you're Westside, you should be doing that anyway. WTF are you doing taking your **** to Felony Flats, anyway?)

As an alternate, you can come up to the service dealership closest to me: St. Helens Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram (yes, all the way up in St. Helens, OR - hit 405N up to OR-30, then go 30 minutes West on that like you're heading for Astoria). Closest to me, but you may not want to drive that far. I managed to chat with some of the service guys at the Columbia County Fair awhile back, and they're pretty stand-up guys.

If you feel like braving the ramp closures, I recall a couple of dealerships up in Vantucky and/or Camas, across the river in WA, as well.

If you're living Eastside, I think there's a couple of other choices available to you (keep wanting to think there's one in Gresham...), but yeah - you got options, and plenty of them in Portland Metro.

Last edited:

kirkcad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
To the OP....

I would have someplace other than Les Schwab check the alignment. Schwab is good for tires, and that's about it. They used to be a really good and dependable place to go to years ago, but, imo, have gone downhill in the last decade. Their brake work leaves a LOT to be desired, and their alignment services seem to cause more problems than fix lately.

No way I would take my new truck to them.

Jmo, of course....from my own experiences with them. Had my 2007 Honda Accord into them a few times a few years ago....said they couldn't do an alignment on it as the front end needed some sort of shim and some front end work.(wtf????)…..and then had them do a rear brake job on it a year before that. After about a year, the car developed a brake fluid leak.

Eventually, I took it into the dealer for a tuneup special....while I was there, had them check the alignment and rear brakes. They said the alignment needed a very slight adjustment on the toe in....and then after checking the rear brakes, they found that Schwab had cross threaded one of the caliper mounts, as well as cross threading the brake line connection(the leak) on one side. After I mentioned Les Schwab, the lead mechanic rolled his eyes and said, "oh gawd, you wouldn't believe how many cars come in with Les Schwab problems we need to fix".

So I stay away from them like the plague, now.

As for your dealership.....they're feeding you a complete load of crap. I would look for another reputable dodge dealer with a well known good service dept. in your area, as per Random's post above.

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
What he ^^ said... I barely trust Les Schwab with tires, man.

OP
OP
lambchop

lambchop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
That dealer is between my work and home. I will be trying wilsonville dealer next.

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
That dealer is between my work and home. I will be trying wilsonville dealer next.

Wasn't sure which side of metro you lived in :)

Hadn't heard anything bad out of Wilsonville... Any other PDX peeps?

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
If the next dealer can't make it go straight, seek out an old-school wheel alignment shop. Many tire operations may have a zillion dollar laser-guided, nano-technological marvelous alignment machine, but the techs don't truly understand front end work. An old-school guy with a antique set of turntables and a bubble machine can work circles around most of these clowns. I have gone through it, believe me, old age an treachery can definitley win. On top of that, my 2015 2500 was pulling and a local tire shop got it right the first time, and it goes as straight as one of these will go. It was a camber adjustment. They would track better with a bit more caster,but that's another story.

kirkcad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
If the next dealer can't make it go straight, seek out an old-school wheel alignment shop. Many tire operations may have a zillion dollar laser-guided, nano-technological marvelous alignment machine, but the techs don't truly understand front end work. An old-school guy with a antique set of turntables and a bubble machine can work circles around most of these clowns. I have gone through it, believe me, old age an treachery can definitley win. On top of that, my 2015 2500 was pulling and a local tire shop got it right the first time, and it goes as straight as one of these will go. It was a camber adjustment. They would track better with a bit more caster,but that's another story.

Couldn't agree more with this. I am fortunate, as I found a really good, small single man automotive repair shop here in our small town. Older guy(although probably younger than me) that does excellent quality work for really reasonable prices. Only inconvenience with him, as since he is a one man operation, and well known and reputable here in town, you gotta give him a call 2 weeks or so in advance to set up an appointment. I have been really pleased with the place, so far.

The place has got a really snazzy name, too....Brad's Auto Repair. ;)

kirkcad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
What he ^^ said... I barely trust Les Schwab with tires, man.

Yea, agreed. Only reason I got my last set of tires for the Honda from them is because they had a really good sale on Toyos. And they have been wonderful tires.

Anymore, though, I am just going to tire rack.com and order a set and get them installed by some reputable place in Corvallis or Salem.....somewhere other than Schwab.

Schwab seemed to really go downhill after the original owner died.

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Yea, agreed. Only reason I got my last set of tires for the Honda from them is because they had a really good sale on Toyos. And they have been wonderful tires.

Anymore, though, I am just going to tire rack.com and order a set and get them installed by some reputable place in Corvallis or Salem.....somewhere other than Schwab.

Not to derail too much, but I had to deal with them thanks to a Bork-up in one of the pressure senders in my wife's little Kia Soul right after she got tires there. Took forever to get them to own up to it and fix it without trying to charge me for it.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Yeah because the new owner hired all young millennial snowflakes for ten bucks an hour to pad his pockets more!

Same thing with most of the parts stores, nothing but rude, obnoxious, unprofessional, uneducated kids working there with no knowledge of vehicles! Bs imo.

Last edited:

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Fact^^^^^You forgot to say no it all punks. That part of the industry (repair and parts) is a disaster.
This is why I had to convince the wife for me to buy a Maxisys ms908, so I’ll never have to let someone else touch my vehicles ever again. Well hopefully.

Last edited:

kirkcad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Yea, I have to agree. I think a bigger part of it(besides the obviously low wages they offer)...is that there's not much of any sort of training for a lot of them anymore. Sure, you'll still have the occasional person that really knows their stuff.....but for the most part it's just younger folk with not much training, experience, or advanced education in their field.

And yea, it all boils down to the owners just wanting the largest bang for the least buck. All that training and advanced education in their field would cost the owners $$$$$, and cut into their bottom line.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Sorry to hear of your issues lamb, my 17 2500 has been great with the exception of a park to reverse grind the dealer says is normal and a rougher idle than I'd like when it's cold they say nothing can be done about. I have none of your issues. Hope you get it squared away.

Next time ask for help instead of going to a ram forum and start bashing trucks we love. They all have issues. Go try a pos gm truck if you think rams are such junk. I had a 2015 1500 and it had many issues.