RamBox® Cargo Management System - how common is it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mojo88

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
I'm looking to buy 2019 or maybe 2020 RAM 1500, something with most of the options. One of the things I'd really like to find is the RamBox® Cargo Management System. I had a Chevy Avalanche and a Cadillac Escalade EXT, and both of them had that style of storage boxes built in, they were very handy.

How common is the RamBox® Cargo Management System? Is it something I can realistically find?? If it's a rare option, then I guess I'll strike it from my list of 'must-haves'.

Thanks

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
It’s not a highly popular option for most people. I will say it’s a deal-breaker for me. I don’t shop used trucks though and I’m not sure how much trouble it would be to find one with that option. I’d suggest using one of the car shopping sites like autotrader or car gurus and see what your options are for that.

wrench78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have one. Just got it about a month and half ago. Doing a used truck search, it was the only Ram box that I saw available. I wasn't sure about the Ram box. After looking at it, I liked it. Bought it. Now, after I bought it, I am finding limitations with it. Hard to find a headache bar, truck cap, bed cover, normal bed accessories, etc. BUT, it's nice not having to store everything inside the cab or in a separate bed storage box that takes up room.

OP
OP
Mojo88

Mojo88

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
I have one. Just got it about a month and half ago. Doing a used truck search, it was the only Ram box that I saw available. I wasn't sure about the Ram box. After looking at it, I liked it. Bought it. Now, after I bought it, I am finding limitations with it. Hard to find a headache bar, truck cap, bed cover, normal bed accessories, etc. BUT, it's nice not having to store everything inside the cab or in a separate bed storage box that takes up room.
Yeah, I always carry some tools, a tow strap, jumper cables, gloves, some work clothes, etc....... I am using a bed box now, but I miss those built-in storage boxes that I had. I only just became aware of the RamBox® Cargo Management System as I was reading a "2019 Truck of the Year" article by Motor Trend.

For now, I am gonna keep the RamBox® Cargo Management System on my 'must-have' list. I'm in no great hurry to buy, my current truck runs good but has a fair bit of rusting. However, I'm ready to pounce when the deal appears. ;)

Thanks

wrench78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, I always carry some tools, a tow strap, jumper cables, gloves, some work clothes, etc....... I am using a bed box now, but I miss those built-in storage boxes that I had. I only just became aware of the RamBox® Cargo Management System as I was reading a "2019 Truck of the Year" article by Motor Trend.

Thanks
oh and I forgot to say also, that being a used 2017 truck, I only have the Ram boxes. The rest of Management system, was missing. No bed cover, and no divider. Really wish I had the cover though.

OP
OP
Mojo88

Mojo88

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
oh and I forgot to say also, that being a used 2017 truck, I only have the Ram boxes. The rest of Management system, was missing. No bed cover, and no divider. Really wish I had the cover though.
Hahah, I guess I'm still ignorant about the system. I thought it meant just the side storage compartments. I didn't realize there were more components to it. All I want are the storage bins.

Thanks for the info

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
The bed divider/extender is part of the must-have for me as well. They don't advertise it as a bed extender on 5th gens, and those trucks don't come with the mounting pegs for it. But the mounting holes are there for them, and you can easily add them yourself. The 4th gen mounting pegs work with the 5th gen bed divider as they are nearly identical.

OP
OP
Mojo88

Mojo88

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
The bed divider/extender is part of the must-have for me as well. They don't advertise it as a bed extender on 5th gens, and those trucks don't come with the mounting pegs for it. But the mounting holes are there for them, and you can easily add them yourself. The 4th gen mounting pegs work with the 5th gen bed divider as they are nearly identical.
Ahhh well, this may work out in my favor a little bit. I don't want any dividers, or tonneau covers, or anything like that, so maybe it's easier to find a truck with just the storage bins. I don't know, but will find out!

I've got about 10 items on my 'must-have' list now. Honestly, I'd just buy new and order all the items I want and be done with it, but I'd want an $85k truck, and even though I have the cash, I think I'd have a heart attack spending that much money on a truck. And then I'd have to worry about it getting dinged and/or wrecked, and I'd just be a nervous Nellie.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Ahhh well, this may work out in my favor a little bit. I don't want any dividers, or tonneau covers, or anything like that, so maybe it's easier to find a truck with just the storage bins. I don't know, but will find out!

I've got about 10 items on my 'must-have' list now. Honestly, I'd just buy new and order all the items I want and be done with it, but I'd want an $85k truck, and even though I have the cash, I think I'd have a heart attack spending that much money on a truck. And then I'd have to worry about it getting dinged and/or wrecked, and I'd just be a nervous Nellie.
I totally get that. No way I’m buying a new truck now. Out of curiosity I priced out a 2025 Limited equipped as close as possible to the 2020 we have now and it would be in the neighborhood of $90k. The MSRP on our truck was around $73k. It’s insane what people are willing to pay for a new truck now. I’ve been reading about how many Ram trucks are sitting unsold at the assembly plant, so it’s likely we’ll start seeing more incentives soon.

SigEp418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi BTS Edition
I totally get that. No way I’m buying a new truck now. Out of curiosity I priced out a 2025 Limited equipped as close as possible to the 2020 we have now and it would be in the neighborhood of $90k. The MSRP on our truck was around $73k. It’s insane what people are willing to pay for a new truck now. I’ve been reading about how many Ram trucks are sitting unsold at the assembly plant, so it’s likely we’ll start seeing more incentives soon.
I just bought a 2024 Bighorn/built to serve edition. Paid $51900 after almost $12k in incentives. Seems like ‘incentives’ are just a way for dealers to justify high sticker prices and then make the consumer feel like they’re getting a good deal when they’re actually just buying for fair market price. End of the day, I didn’t feel screwed or unhappy with my deal. I basically got the options I wanted out of a $58k Laramie for the price of a Bighorn.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
When I was looking, it seemed like very few 1500s had it, but it was reasonably popular on 2500s. Just my recollection, no hard facts on the actual numbers.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
I just bought a 2024 Bighorn/built to serve edition. Paid $51900 after almost $12k in incentives. Seems like ‘incentives’ are just a way for dealers to justify high sticker prices and then make the consumer feel like they’re getting a good deal when they’re actually just buying for fair market price. End of the day, I didn’t feel screwed or unhappy with my deal. I basically got the options I wanted out of a $58k Laramie for the price of a Bighorn.
$12k in incentives is fantastic on a $63k truck. That’s close to 20% off MSRP. The price is still too high for a Big Horn IMHO, but I’m glad you’re happy with the deal. I’ll admit I just haven’t accepted how much the price of everything has gone up in the last 4 years.

commander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ordered a 2016 with the Ram Boxes, just bought (February) a 2024 with the Ram Boxes, I found the only one in the Myrtle Beach area! I told the dealer, that they should order more and with the V-8 hemi, they should have ordered it with the big gas tank! I was not in loved with the multi-function tailgate when I first bought it, but, between the Ram Boxes and MF Tailgate, those would be a deal breaker IF I order or buy another one!

JT

OP
OP
Mojo88

Mojo88

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
When I was looking, it seemed like very few 1500s had it, but it was reasonably popular on 2500s. Just my recollection, no hard facts on the actual numbers.
Agreed. I recently scrolled through about 200 trucks for sale (RAM 1500 only) on some of the big online sales sites. I only saw two that had the boxes. So that's about a 1% hit rate. As you say, very few. I may have to remove that from my 'must-have' list. I'll re-categorize it as a 'Bonus'...... ;)

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Ordered a 2016 with the Ram Boxes, just bought (February) a 2024 with the Ram Boxes, I found the only one in the Myrtle Beach area! I told the dealer, that they should order more and with the V-8 hemi, they should have ordered it with the big gas tank! I was not in loved with the multi-function tailgate when I first bought it, but, between the Ram Boxes and MF Tailgate, those would be a deal breaker IF I order or buy another one!

JT
I couldn't agree more about the combination of the MFT and Rambox options. Our last two trucks have had that combination. It's so much nicer loading and unloading the bed without the need to reach over the tailgate.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I couldn't agree more about the combination of the MFT and Rambox options. Our last two trucks have had that combination. It's so much nicer loading and unloading the bed without the need to reach over the tailgate.

That and a telescoping steering wheel are all it would take to make my PW perfect.

I'd love the option to barn door open the tailgate for everything from taking groceries out to shoveling river rock.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Mojo88, I bought a new RCSB sport in 2015. It had the 6.5’ bed and Ramboxes. Being a regular cab, I knew I would need storage space for tools and clothing. Not near enough space behind the seats to store a lot. I fell in love with the ease of access.
In the years before, I would always install a cross the bed tool box. But sometimes you couldn’t reach far enough and I would need to get up into the bed. Plus those boxes just tend to get filled up, and you are always digging through stuff to find what you need.
I’m now on my 5th Ram truck. I ordered it, 2022 1500 Longhorn with the Rambox & Rambox Managent System. Only dislike is this pickup is only 5.7’, only configuration available on the 5th gen Ram 1500.
The order option was changed a few years ago. In the beginning the option included the bed divider, tie down points. Now if the truck is ordered with Ramboxes, that’s it. No divider, etc. Must also order the management option.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't rule out new.

I got a 2022 Sport with about $18k knocked off because it was sitting on the lot when the 2023s started rolling in. I paid $64k Canadian for a nearly loaded truck.
They also had a 2022 Laramie, which was technically a better deal in terms of their discount, but I didn't want the bench seat and I didn't want all that chrome.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Don't rule out new.

I got a 2022 Sport with about $18k knocked off because it was sitting on the lot when the 2023s started rolling in. I paid $64k Canadian for a nearly loaded truck.
They also had a 2022 Laramie, which was technically a better deal in terms of their discount, but I didn't want the bench seat and I didn't want all that chrome.
That was kind of my point. You got 22% off MSRP, which made it a price you were willing to pay. Ram is only recently starting to offer decent incentives because no one is buying their trucks without them. You're also basically talking about three year old prices in your example. I'm assuming your truck is a Big Horn. If I build out a 2025 Big Horn it has an MSRP of over $73k USD. That's basically $100k CAD. For a Big Horn. It would take incentives well over 30% for me to even consider doing a deal on that truck. No sir, not in this lifetime LOL.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That was kind of my point. You got 22% off MSRP, which made it a price you were willing to pay. Ram is only recently starting to offer decent incentives because no one is buying their trucks without them. You're also basically talking about three year old prices in your example. I'm assuming your truck is a Big Horn. If I build out a 2025 Big Horn it has an MSRP of over $73k USD. That's basically $100k CAD. For a Big Horn. It would take incentives well over 30% for me to even consider doing a deal on that truck. No sir, not in this lifetime LOL.
I got my truck may of 2023. One year ago. It had been sitting on the lot since November 2022.

It wasn't a factory/ram incentive. The discount was only at the dealer level, so nothing was advertised etc. I walked in and they were pushing "anything on the lot, the older the better"....