Ran out of gas today... kind of

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2014 2500 Hemi 6.4 and I believe I have a 32 gallon tank - although when the light comes it takes 25 gallons, etc, etc.

Anyway, I usually just watch my, "miles to empty" and gas up when necessary and the light goes on around 40-50. So, today I'm rolling with about 60 miles to empty and I pull into a house for a job and it has a pretty steep driveway up to the house. Pretty busy street so I back in with the nose of my truck much lower than the back. Right as I'm shutting off the engine the, "low fuel" light comes on and I'm really not surprised. This has happened before when on slopes.

So, I go to start the truck when I'm leaving and it runs for a few seconds and dies. At this point I make kind of a gamble and pop it into neutral, roll into the busy street (which is pretty flat) and try again. Thankfully, it fires right up. I go to the gas station a couple miles away and it takes 25.2 gallons.

I'm pretty amazed that just the slope of the driveway made the tank run dry. I'm guessing it draws near the rear of the tank since that would have been the shallow end with my nose pitched down. The driveway was steep but not crazy. Just guessing but maybe a 12% grade. Hard to believe with 7 gallons of fuel left that the grade I was on made it run dry. Anyone else have this happen?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
LUCKY SLOB
I woulda been outta gas.

6.4LMegaMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Yep, same exact thing here. My driveway is fairly steep and I've just learned to park facing uphill if I have a quarter tank or less or my truck literally won't start.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I try to never let it get below 1/2 tank.

I want to be able to **** of town in a hurry if i need to. Never know[emoji2373]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I towed my this past weekend, so ran my tank down on the way home. Next day the light came one and I pushed it a bit. Took a little over 28 gallons to refill. Usually I wont go below a quarter tank if that low.

As U&A mentioned, in winter I always keep at least half a tan . Never know when the snow will hit and I need it in an emergency.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddo