Random Oil Pressure Readings & Hard/Long Start (Even after a engine rebuild)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckGuyKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 - 5.7 liter hemi - 230k miles

To keep things short, about 3 months ago, my truck experienced multiple problems in one day including, stalling, knocking, misfires, low oil pressure readings (oil pressure resets after restarting car). About a 2 weeks into working on the car trying to fix the problem I started to notice a problem where my car would take 10-15 seconds to start.

Anyways, I took the engine apart, replaced the timing set, lifters, pushrods, oil pump, and cleaned all of the oil sludge out of the heads. Along with this I also replaced all of the injectors, coils, and spark plugs. Before starting the car I put in a new oil pressure sensor along with a new crank position sensor, camshaft position sensor, knock sensors, and a new map sensor.

After the first start the car ran better than ever with amazing performance except the oil pressure gauge kept dropping to 0 (I promise you there is oil pressure because the car is basically silent) and the car still takes 10-15 seconds to start. Since the rebuild I have purchased a new battery and a new ECM, neither of those have worked. I suspect the hard start is the fuel pump because this had been a problem in the past, keep in mind, I'm on my 4th fuel pump.

When it comes to the oil pressure gauge I have no clue what could be the cause seeing as the oil pressure sensor is brand new. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

OP
OP
T

TruckGuyKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The initial problem in the motor was a collapsed lifter, which caused the valve to not open. Replacing lifters fixed everything but the hard start and oil pressure gauge.

OP
OP
T

TruckGuyKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have error codes for the following -
Knock sensor 1 circuit malfunction
Knock sensor 2 circuit malfunction
EGR malfunction
Intake air temperature circuit high input
O2 sensor low voltage in bank 1 and 2
Camshaft position sensor malfunction

All of these sensors are new :/

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you use mopar sensors? ,others can cause issues. Add a tee fitting behind the oil pressure gauge and Run a real mechanical oil pressure gauge into the cab,then you can get an accurate measurement when desired.

OP
OP
T

TruckGuyKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did use Mopar sensors. I ordered a mechanical gauge but I find it hard to believe there's no oil pressure just because 1, the temperatures are perfect, 2 the motor is practically silent.

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
I did have a bunch of weird issues on my 2003, underneath the fuse box in the engine bay was all corroded

OP
OP
T

TruckGuyKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or fuel pressure sensor
To my knowledge in the 2005, the fuel pressure sensor is a part of the pump, which I just bought last week. Sadly this is the 4th time I've bought a pump for this car and it has fixed this issue every other time.

OP
OP
T

TruckGuyKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did have a bunch of weird issues on my 2003, underneath the fuse box in the engine bay was all corroded
Yup, today I just took the wires out of the tipm/fuel box, everything was corroded and I thought I had found the issue but nothing changed after the cleaning.

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Had a Christmas tree worth of lights on the dash. Found a bad ground there

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Might be helpful to find a wiring diagram and look for anything that’s common between those warning lights