Random Oil Pressure Readings & Hard Start (Before and after engine rebuild)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckGuyKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To begin with, about 3 months ago my 5.7 liter hemi 2005 dodge ram 1500 ran into a massive amount of problems all in one day. These issues were, loud knocking, stalling, misfires, hard start, and many other things.

One of the smaller issues was the oil gauge dropping to 0, this would eventually reset itself after restarting the car.

After limping back home I immediately dove into the car in search for the problem. The first thing I did was buy a new ECM because I had already fixed a similar issue with an ECM in the past. After trying the new ECM it ran a lot better but still had a loud sound and misfire. Anyways, I eventually rebuilt the motor, new lifters, new timing set, new oil pump, cleaned out the oil pump pickup, and cleaned any build up of sludge under the valve covers. Seeing as the car is nearing 250,000 miles this wasn't much of a shock to me.

After the rebuild I fired it up but the hard start still kept happening. Keep in mind I also purchased brand new fuel injectors, coils, and spark plugs. So that night I went out and bought a new battery. The problem still kept going.

After going out for a test drive the car runs better than ever but still takes anywhere from 10-15 seconds to start. Not only does it have trouble starting but the oil pressure still reads 0 when idling which is impossible because the car sounds like its barely even running. I have replaced the oil pressure sensor and of course, the pump.

In addition to these issues I have a few codes that have to do with cam shaft sensor, crank shaft sensor, and knock sensor circuit malfunctions. I have replaced all of these sensors within the past 3 months along with map sensor and the new ECM.

To wrap things up, the car runs better than before but still has issues but there is not much left for me to try. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
T

TruckGuyKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The original problem before the rebuild was a collapsed lifter along with a massive buildup of oil sludge and a clogged oil pump pickup. The collapsed lifter cause the valve to not open, causing the misfire and knocking.