Random TPMS Error...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLyons

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read through the other TPMS posts and didn't see one similar to my problem, so I thought I give this a shot.

Is this a problem with one or more of my TPMS sensors or the module itself?

I recently bought a new set of tires for my truck, but didn't do anything with the sensors. Ever since then, while driving, the TPMS system will suddenly display 0 psi for a random tire. It's only one tire at a time and usually a different one from the last time.

Sometimes, the display will correct itself and begin displaying the correct psi and other times it will remain on 0 psi until I shut the engine off to park.

Initially, I suspected the sensors and was ready to buy new sensors and pay to have the tires opened up and sensors installed.

Then, it occurred to me that since the problem is moving around from tire to tire, maybe it's the module.

I have no idea how much a new module would be, but I think I can get the sensors for about $50 plus the tire mounting costs.

Anyone have any advice for me?

Randy

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Randy, the first thing I'd try is to have a tire shop or repair shop with an advanced code reader/scanner, scan for TPMS codes. That is odd the issue travels from tire/tire.

Could it be as simple as the batteries failing on all 4? It could if they're all original.

I know the 2010 system is different from the 2015+, but I'd still want to stick with OEM sensors if you can.

OP
OP
RLyons

RLyons

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a scanner, so I'll put it in the truck and pull over and check it next time I get the error. I thought the scanner only diagnosed "Check Engine" alerts, so I'm learning something new here. Thanks!

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
There are scanners that are specific for TPMS, so yours likely wont work for this.

OP
OP
RLyons

RLyons

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, ok. Does the TPMS error have to be displayed when I go to a tire store or can they check it even if they are all tires display normal. This being intermittent poses a timing problem.

d-coff25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Own a 2017 1500 V6 and recent had new aftermarket wheels and tires installed along with new TPMS sensors (Mopar 68249197AA- 434MHz). Ever since in installed new wheels, the on screen tires pressure never displayed in vehicle. I took to a local tire store (Mavis) and had them scan each TPMS with their tool. The scan tool they used was able to read all the sensor indicating that they were all working. I was told they did a "re-set/ re-learn" function and I should drive 25 miles and on board display will display tire pressure and indicator light would go out. 3 day of driving and no display of pressure and light still on.

I tried disconnecting battery and inflated tire pressure to 40 psi (which i read on here). That did not work. I also drove around a bit with negative results, as indicator light for tires were still on.

So the fix I found was, i hooked up my "BlueDriver OBDII) reader and cleared all the codes (none were present), but i had it clear every coded the tool can clear. To my surprise this work and now screen is showing tire pressure for all four tires. Hope this helps anyone with similar problem with getting new wheels and sensors.

OP
OP
RLyons

RLyons

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, ok. Does the TPMS error have to be displayed when I go to a tire store or can they check it even if they are all tires display normal. This being intermittent poses a timing problem.

UPDATE: Still troubleshooting my TPMS system, and I have another question. The life expectancy of TPMS sensors is supposed to be 7-10 years. My RAM 1500 is a 2010, so I'm pushing the upper limit on those sensors. I could understand one or more of them completely dying, but these "come and go". One day one of them might not work, and the next two completely different ones stop working. As I said in the OP, the error is random and troubleshooting an intermittent error is a nightmare! Even though it's considered "shotgun troubleshooting", I'm ready to order a new module just so I can eliminate it as the source of the problem. Any suggestions?