Rear backup senors lock up brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I have disabled the brake activation in the settings manual on my "19". My sensors are still active and beep like heck when things are in range. I disabled mine as it would slam the brakes on using the abs module backing up next to brush or even hay in the fields, also backing through dips or small gulleys it would slam on the brakes.
Very irritating.

utley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Disable the backup sensors. It shouldn’t be the emergency “break” locking up. It’s the regular brakes.
Oh its the E-brakes..this ****** me off like none other, especially when trying to back up a trailer for the first time and finding out about this the hard way.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The OP says it sets his "emergency" brake. I'm still not clear if that just means it is doing emergency braking or if it actually setting the parking brake. I don't really see how it could set the parking brake though.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The OP says it sets his "emergency" brake. I'm still not clear if that just means it is doing emergency braking or if it actually setting the parking brake. I don't really see how it could set the parking brake though.
Unless they changed something on the new trucks, doubt that, it is not the "E" brake, it is the truck braking system.

utley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Oh it sets the E-brake. Trust me on that...pulled my hair quite a few times dealing with it. Fun fact: it kicks in when you're backing up with the door open too. It wont let you hit anything if those parking sensors detect stuff around you, just locks the parking brakes up.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fun fact: it kicks in when you're backing up with the door open too.
That I thought was it automatically shifting into park. It was on my 4th gen. Haven't tried it yet on my current truck.

utley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yeah taht kicks in, I never feel more at ease driving my vehicle off a cliff when that damn thing annoys me.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Oh it sets the E-brake. Trust me on that...pulled my hair quite a few times dealing with it. Fun fact: it kicks in when you're backing up with the door open too. It wont let you hit anything if those parking sensors detect stuff around you, just locks the parking brakes up.
Thanks, but this is still vague, at least to me. Does E-brake = parking brake? So that you have to manually release the parking brake to start moving again?

I've not experienced this on my 22 2500 yet, but when it happens with my wife's 21 Pacifica, it does not set the parking brake.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It's a safety feature. It's not "advanced", just basic sonar and speed based system. If I back into my garage, it will see the door opening, and if I'm rolling back and not inching back with my foot on the brake, it thinks it's a person or object I MIGHT collide with and locks them up. My favorite spot at the Dolla Gentral to back in, has a light post and curb. Again, I know I won't hit either but, it detects the curb and then the light post and if I'm not inching back, it locks up the brakes for collision avoidance. In the summer when the Pompas Grass beside the driveway will trigger it as well. So I've learned to back towards the center of the driveway.

There's something stupid triggering it. I thought I saw something in AlfaOBD when I was snooping around after I added my trailer brake controller. Maybe you could shut the emergency braking off.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
There is a setting for it and you don't need AlfaOBD.

Go to Settings then select Safety & Driving Assistance. From there uncheck the box for Rear ParkSense Braking Assist:

Settings_Rear Brake Assist.jpg

That will turn off the rear brake assist everyone here has been complaining about.

It's a tradeoff though. Now that you've disabled that feature you will get a warning every time you start the truck that it's disabled.

utley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
It's a safety feature. It's not "advanced", just basic sonar and speed based system. If I back into my garage, it will see the door opening, and if I'm rolling back and not inching back with my foot on the brake, it thinks it's a person or object I MIGHT collide with and locks them up. My favorite spot at the Dolla Gentral to back in, has a light post and curb. Again, I know I won't hit either but, it detects the curb and then the light post and if I'm not inching back, it locks up the brakes for collision avoidance. In the summer when the Pompas Grass beside the driveway will trigger it as well. So I've learned to back towards the center of the driveway.

There's something stupid triggering it. I thought I saw something in AlfaOBD when I was snooping around after I added my trailer brake controller. Maybe you could shut the emergency braking off.
In my case, I had the door opened with nothing behind me trying to park my truck the correct way by not double parking. Nothing behind me, nothing to either side of me, nothing in front of me...just me rolling the truck back a few inches. I dont like being "that guy". Its like my truck WANTS me to be "that guy" and I feel like an ***hole

OP
OP
A

Alga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just think it more trouble then it is worth

Maryland_Man

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
I'll be "that guy" and smile as my truck doesn't accumulate damage to the bumpers.

znrh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine gets squirrely when backing out of parking slots sometimes for no reason. I was backing up by a restaurant to go eat, and a small branch far away set it off and the truck locked up. Boy did I get a lot of are U friggin stupid looks. So I have learned to turn off when I need to.

ADDED: I get no software updates on my DT truck, running on original software and U Connect IOS. I only have a plain jane U Connect 4 radio, no 911, guardian, nav ne thing. SO I get no OTA's. I would have to pay to have dealer flash and my SA told me, leave all alone as long as OK, as the updates were bricking the radios, so I am still on original software from April 2018.
I learned the hard way with my new Bighorn that you can't back out of your garage with the tailgate down without the "Park Sense" slamming the truck into park. My last Ram 2021 Tradesman never did this so it caught me off guard. I thought it only locked up if your door was ajar or open

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine disables when the tailgate is down. Maybe it's a uConnect 5 thing?
Mine shows tailgate down, and a picture in the EVIC, so I hit OK and it clears the circuit. U could always reach over and push the button to disable the rear sensor system.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
They do the same thing on my wifes pacifica van too. Scares the crap out me too. I mean it locks the brakes, when it thinks there is a issue. So I just turn the front and rear sensors off!
I did the same thing, my 20 Ram had it, and I left both off most of the time.
The 22 Ram I bought off the lot did not have it, saved me some money.
A small bush or snow off to the side would trigger it often.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've gotten quite a few software updates during the basic warranty and haven't had any issues (bricking). I figured that if they flash it for free and brick it then they'd be fixing it for free. I'd just be out the time in the shop and quiet drives while I wait for parts.
NOT want to take that chance. Tho I's a "TurkeyBird", sometimes, chicken, roflmao.