Rear bump stop removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AE35E669-FB3F-4C40-AD37-F90055014FFD.jpeg I know a few guys on here have removed the rear bump stops, however all their good info is tucked away as part of a non-specific lowering thread
Thought I’d get this a little bit more out in the open
As other members have previously said cutting the rear cups and changing to a shorter progressive bump stop made a huge difference-
I can now totally agree- night and day difference

This is my third lowered 4G quad cab, and for some reason, it rode the worst of all of them and strangely it had the most aftermarket parts as well- Airlift bags, Illicit no-cut brackets and single adjustable Qa1 shocks
Rear end rode fully on the Belltech bump stops and was bouncy and very
harsh
Cut the stock metal bump stop cups off and installed 2” tall Belltech(4923), stud mounted progressive bump stops
I have 12lbs in the AirLift bags and Rancho rear shocks set at 7 out of 9
(removed the Qa1’s- don’t like -30C)
There is a 1 3/8” space between the bump stop and the steel pad on the rear end, there’s a little better than 2” before the top control arm bracket will hit the frame
I’ve hit some pretty big low spots on the road and haven’t hit the shorter
bump stops yet
Not sure how it’ll be with weight in the back- usually carry 300-500lbs of tools
in the box- but Belltech has a interchangeable 3” tall one(4924) that could be swapped out if needed

Again- very noticeable difference

015A6583-E820-460F-8A0F-CDB38E43047A.jpeg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
View attachment 240985 I know a few guys on here have removed the rear bump stops, however all their good info is tucked away as part of a non-specific lowering thread
Thought I’d get this a little bit more out in the open
As other members have previously said cutting the rear cups and changing to a shorter progressive bump stop made a huge difference-
I can now totally agree- night and day difference

This is my third lowered 4G quad cab, and for some reason, it rode the worst of all of them and strangely it had the most aftermarket parts as well- Airlift bags, Illicit no-cut brackets and single adjustable Qa1 shocks
Rear end rode fully on the Belltech bump stops and was bouncy and very
harsh
Cut the stock metal bump stop cups off and installed 2” tall Belltech(4923), stud mounted progressive bump stops
I have 12lbs in the AirLift bags and Rancho rear shocks set at 7 out of 9
(removed the Qa1’s- don’t like -30C)
There is a 1 3/8” space between the bump stop and the steel pad on the rear end, there’s a little better than 2” before the top control arm bracket will hit the frame
I’ve hit some pretty big low spots on the road and haven’t hit the shorter
bump stops yet
Not sure how it’ll be with weight in the back- usually carry 300-500lbs of tools
in the box- but Belltech has a interchangeable 3” tall one(4924) that could be swapped out if needed

Again- very noticeable difference

View attachment 240986

Keep an eye on your locating arms,they are another area that can give you static.Watch them for any wear tracks in the paint towards the front of the arms from the lower bar running into a bind situation with the upper bar.If they do bind,it's usually towards the front of the locating arms.Not all trucks will run into a bind situation,but some do,and it's worth keeping an eye on the bars for any evidence of them touching each other. Next time you have the springs out,you can check the bars to see if they will bind when the diff is sitting on the bump stops,just jack the rear end up till it hits the stops and puts a slight squash on the bumpstop,like it would if you were going down the road .

OP
OP
6speed4.7

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Rick
You had mentioned the top control arm/mount bind a few weeks ago
Actually had the top control arm off last week, and did exactly what you suggested- looked for missing/scraped paint on the control arm/mount- thankfully everything appeared proper
Now that could change as I start putting weight back into the box when I go back to work in a few weeks...Definitely am going to be keeping a close eye on the whole situation

Srt-cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is hilarious. I just ordered the same bump stops to try this on my truck. Then I opened the forum just to see what’s up and amazingly your post is here praising this idea. I love it..lol... must be a sign that I’m on the right track.

one quick question...did you tap the hole that’s in the frame or install some sort or anchor for the bump stop to screw to?

OP
OP
6speed4.7

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, it’s hilarious how these forums work
Glad the timing worked out
I drilled and tapped a new hole for the stud
If you’re using the relocation brackets/adjustable control arms you’ll find that existing bump stop location is too far forward
I used the method Wild one suggested to locate where to drill the new hole- removed the springs, undid the shocks and cranked the rear end up with a floor jack until the new bump stop was sandwiched between the frame and steel pad on the axle
You’ll probably that it’s quite a bit back of the old location

Srt-cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok thanks for the advice. I had noticed the
Current bump stop
Hits very far forward in the axle but hadn’t considered moving the bump stop back. I’ll probably do it the way you describe.

MCMLXIX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI R/T
ok.. what about the fronts? … Is there a separate post? I know this thread is titled "REAR"

I am planning on a 3/5 drop with custom components…
I know I'll cut the cups off and I had ordered some Energy Suspension bump stops but they are basically solid and have no "bouce"

PS: here are the three sizes from Belltech

BT BS.JPG

ES BS.JPG

OP
OP
6speed4.7

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok.. what about the fronts? … Is there a separate post? I know this thread is titled "REAR"

I am planning on a 3/5 drop with custom components…
I know I'll cut the cups off and I had ordered some Energy Suspension bump stops but they are basically solid and have no "bouce"

PS: here are the three sizes from Belltech

View attachment 241534

View attachment 241535
The Belltech 2WD RWD 2/4 lowering kit comes with the 4923 bump stops for the front control arm
I’d get a progressive bump stop and stay away from a “solid” looking bump stop as there would be no soft transition from hitting it or not
Without checking clearances to see how much room you have before front suspension components start to bind or hit, the Belltech 4922, is 3/4” shorter than what already comes with the kit
I had actually bought the 4922 to try on the front of a previous 2WD truck, but traded it before I tried them
My current 4X4 2/4 Belltech spring drop kit has no front bump stops, just jounce bumpers that are integral to the stuts
I’m not sure how a 3” drop is achieved in the front, is it done entirely by lowering control arms or a combination of lowering springs/ drop spindles?
Depending which lowering components you’re using, a massively shorter front bump stop may not be as impactful?

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IHC sells a 1” spring isolater to use with the front control arms. No idea what he plans to use, but they just recently started to offer them. I may go that route.

OP
OP
6speed4.7

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
T
IHC sells a 1” spring isolater to use with the front control arms. No idea what he plans to use, but they just recently started to offer them. I may go that route.
That makes sense, so that would give you a 3” drop on a set of 4” dropped control arms
Had that been available when I was looking last spring, I probably would have went that way- didn’t want to go to a 4” front drop on a 4x4 with the higher CV angles
Good to know, Thanks

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
T

That makes sense, so that would give you a 3” drop on a set of 4” dropped control arms
Had that been available when I was looking last spring, I probably would have went that way- didn’t want to go to a 4” front drop on a 4x4 with the higher CV angles
Good to know, Thanks
Yessir, it’s in the website now.

MCMLXIX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI R/T
I purchased Crown Suspension 3" drop springs... not much info on them or what actual drop on a RCSB 2wd truck.

...nothing installed yet, still collecting parts.

OP
OP
6speed4.7

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased Crown Suspension 3" drop springs... not much info on them or what actual drop on a RCSB 2wd truck.

...nothing installed yet, still collecting parts.

On a 3” front coil drop a shorter bump stop would probably be more noticeable than on the Inez lowering control arms or spindle drop
Again not really knowing any specific clearance issues of your front end suspension....

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
How did you bolt them up top?

Mine were welded close and I ended up mounting them to the axle back in August 2019

Screenshot_20210507-124954_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
6speed4.7

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I drilled and tapped a hole thru the top mounting plate and frame rail
Had to be super careful to clear the inside of the frame rail with the drill bit/bolt- kinda limits the bump stop location a bit

OP
OP
6speed4.7

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
215E3705-8688-4EDA-9CC2-822744EAD004.jpegSmall update on payload with the shorter bump stops
Just had well over 2000LBS in the box yesterday
Airlift bags pumped to 28LBS, shocks set at 7 out of 9- still had 1/4” gap between the bump stop and plate on axle
Drove about 20miles on the highway at about 60MPH, bottomed it out a few times but no metal on metal
Pretty happy how it preformed with the weight in the back249F8939-07FC-43F9-8F96-779939D6709B.jpeg