Rear bumper suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
You know the phrase "no good deed goes unpunished"? well, tonight I was the personification of that phrase. stopped in the snow storm to help someone that was stranded, and as I was backing up to leave, I slammed into a road sign behind me that I didn't see until it was too late, I was fighting the ditch while I was backing up, so I had some speed about me and pushed the bumper in...hard. It's pushed firm up against the bed with a nice size dent in it. I nailed it right on the far left backup sensor (I mean RIGHT on it). somehow the sensor is not broken and is still functioning, and i didn't hit the tailgate or any other part of the truck, so thank god for small miracles I guess. the bumper looks like its sitting slightly to the left of center, and is sitting against the bed on the left and pulled slightly away on the right side. I thought about having my bumper guy look at it, but i will likely just need to replace it, and soon so i can get to the scratches behind the bumper before they rust. I don't feel like going through insurance for something like this since I can get a new bumper from parts, but I have a few questions first.

1) what are the chances that there is hidden damage behind the bumper? I hit this sign at maybe 15 mph or so, which is faster than it sounds. are the bumper mounts meant to give way and leave the truck relatively in tact, meaning once I remove the bumper, the truck is unscathed (for the most part) and ready to accept a new bumper, or is it likely that the bumper mounts on the truck are ******? I can grab some pics tomorrow in the light and I know it's hard to guess at this with just a description, but my question applies to most general collisions on these trucks in the rear bumper.

2) I haven't been able to track down a part number for the Power Wagon's specific rear bumper yet, but I imagine that it's ungodly expensive because of the powder coating process these go through. so this got me thinking. what aftermarket options are out there? I briefly looked at the Go Rhino rear bumper, but some amazon reviews have me weary about the fitment of the parking sensors. they're held on the bumper with double sided tape, or you can bore the holes out a little and use the factory mounts. plus, one reviewer said he was unable to open his tailgate after and it had to be sent back. that sounds like user error more than anything, but it was worth mentioning. I will not be replacing the front bumper. so I don't want anything that stands out too ungodly much and looks out of place. I already have a go rhino sport bar on the truck, so i'm not opposed to giving them more money, but I wanted to see what other options you guys could suggest, hopefully with pictures, which go rhino is severely lacking in across the internet.

tl;dr version: backed unto a sign, ****** my bumper up, need a new one. what are the chances I screwed up more than just the bumper, and what should I replace it with?

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
1. Your truck I would guess is fine, people hit our trucks at 30+ and our bumpers bend thats it lol & if they are in a car, it is totaled. 2. I would contact your local Line-X Shop. They will generally help pull that dent out the best they can and spray the sob, then you wont notice lol. Hard to tell without pica. As for the sensors they will tape over them and spray around them. They are very good with what they do.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Damn tha sucks. Is the power wagon bumper the same as every other bumper but just powder coated.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ebay. $234 shipped. Great price, and quality is great. If your top bumper pad is still ok, you can get the bumper a lot cheaper and reuse your old pad.
I paid $250 to have it painted black, powder coating it should be the same price. I have had lots of parts powder coated before.

IMG_2354.JPG

IMG_2408.PNG

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Damn tha sucks. Is the power wagon bumper the same as every other bumper but just powder coated.
Power Wagon bumpers are specific from the factory because they’re powder coated black. I was able to find a part number. The bumper and brackets together will cost me about $400. A little over half what an aftermarket one would cost so I’ll probably just grab a new one from parts.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Yea 400 isn’t bad to not involve insurance

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
If I had to get a new bumper it might look like this
ranch-hand-legend-series-rear-bumper-on-dodge.jpg

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
I know some guys want to keep it stock, especially for resale value etc. I had a heavy duty farm bumper on an 80,s Chevy with good heavy mounts, when I lived in northern Illinois. Backed into snow banks, signs, other cars hit it, saved my ass end.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Yea 400 isn’t bad to not involve insurance
Plus i can put it on myself and save the labor. I'm sure I just crunched the support brackets so i got new ones, i'm just worried about the status of the paint since the bumper is resting up against the bed right under the tail light. a new bumper is 6 business days out so i won't be able to fix it for a bit. if there was a big enough tree around, i'd strap the bumper to it and pull it out and inch or so, but there's nothing around heavy enough that my truck won't just pull off the ground lol

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
It’s snowing it’s ass off but these are he best pics I could get. AAF1AD0E-5814-49DF-B2B9-7D79060EB2D3.jpeg1543F774-96BC-4AD2-A4C0-095DBAE0EE8B.jpegAE746A35-05B1-49CF-9C8A-345D5D5535DB.jpegD7B7A73A-8655-44E4-905D-93384556CC5F.jpegCFEA8698-C892-46B8-ADCD-0339858F0769.jpeg

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That little dent? No I would say it is fine, I wouldn't even spend 400 dollars to get that fixed. I had to look at your up close pic to even notice. I would just maybe play with the bumper a bit to straighten it back up and see if you can pull that dent out some.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
That little dent? No I would say it is fine, I wouldn't even spend 400 dollars to get that fixed. I had to look at your up close pic to even notice. I would just maybe play with the bumper a bit to straighten it back up and see if you can pull that dent out some.
the picture makes it look not as bad as it is. the dent is pushed in pretty hard and it moved the bumper several inches. either way, i didn't buy a $63k truck to ride around with a big dent in it, whether i caused it or not. i haven't even made my first payment yet. i've never been one to leave my vehicles with any dents dings or scratches, i always have them taken care of immediately.

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
the picture makes it look not as bad as it is. the dent is pushed in pretty hard and it moved the bumper several inches. either way, i didn't buy a $63k truck to ride around with a big dent in it, whether i caused it or not. i haven't even made my first payment yet. i've never been one to leave my vehicles with any dents dings or scratches, i always have them taken care of immediately.

I understand, If you have money to throw around makes sense (Was just thinking from a save money sense hehe). Any chance you can just see what a local shop can do? They sometimes can work wonders for very cheap. Might save you headache of installing a new bumper.

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
I call these mishaps “blessings.” A very small insurance deductible can result in a very expensive bumper #chaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power Wagon bumpers are specific from the factory because they’re powder coated black. I was able to find a part number. The bumper and brackets together will cost me about $400. A little over half what an aftermarket one would cost so I’ll probably just grab a new one from parts.

Whats the part number for the powder coated bumper?

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

i don't blame you at all. I backed into a concrete corner with my truck 3 months after I got it. I was so pissed. paint wasn't broken and I had touch up paint but so I did consider that, but I really wrestled with it being virtually a brand new truck. I had a much smaller dent in a gm van bumper from work last year that cost 600 plus to fix for a damn 2 inch long crease in a steel bumper so I knew this was going to be a much more expensive fix. And I didn't want to claim it. I found a guy who was a retired body man who did repairs at home. he fixed it for me for 350 canadian. (i had decided my maximum dollars out to fix it that I could live with was 500 bucks. Otherwise I planned to leave it for another time down the road). It would have driven me nuts everytime I saw the bumper. I'm not ready for the scratches and dings...yet.

dent.jpg