Rear end accident

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Darren Plummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I understand abit but not the last part of bed not have slid to the driver side with the frame.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That evidentily depends on where you live. My daughter got sideswiped by a guy flying up the shoulder of the road, driving an F150 no less, and 100% his fault. She had to pay deductible and her insurance said they will get it back for her from the other drivers insurance.

that's actually not a regional issue, it's a timing issue. If you want your car fixed now, you "use your insurance" to fix it which means paying your deductible. then your insurance recoups ALL of it from the at fault insurance and pay your deductible back to you. If you opt to wait until it is all settled, may take months, then you pay nothing and at the same time your car does not get fixed until the at fault insurance pays out. And even then, if there's unexpected cost and the case has been settled, you may have to pay out any difference.

OP
OP
D

Darren Plummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my rear end was impacted on the passeneger side. Did not make contact with the box. Made straight contact with rear passenger rim/tire causing hub cap to break and a wobble to happen. Of coarse for the wobble i inspected my self , which was bent from the impact. So i replaced the axle. I also got the tire and rim checked and they were A Ok. Slapped everything together , got a 4 point wheel alignment at the dodge dealer and it passed under specs but the rear passenger was off .3 of a degree which isnt much they said. Brought it home parked it and noticed my rear passenger tire sit further in then the driver rear about 3/4 inch. I measured the 4 corners underneath an the numbers are the same. I inspected the spring saddle and track bar they look ok , but i notice when i stick my hand between the wheel an the tire of the pasenger theres less space then the driver side. Im getting a lift installed as people said its ok to do so if alignment passed and everything feels fine an drives straight , and if i do need frame measurements its still a doable job with a lift being intacted. Ive bin stumped for awhile this need some answers or suggestions yall. Thanks alot much appreciated

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If someone else hit you and it wasn’t your fault, their insurance pays for everything and you wouldn’t need to pay deductible.

my wife got rear ended in her wrangler about a month ago and the other insurance paid for everything and not a single penny out of our pocket.

hope you get everything worked out. Maybe try going through their insurance before it’s too late. Or maybe it is already if you started wrenching on it yourself.
Michigan is a no-fault insurance state. Your insurance pays no matter whose fault it was. I don’t know what state the original poster lives in however.

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
Michigan is a no-fault insurance state. Your insurance pays no matter whose fault it was. I don’t know what state the original poster lives in however.

From his initial pictures he is in Ontario by his plate so not sure about Canadian insurance laws.

I do know i wouldnt lift it until i had the issue fixed though.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All I see is more problems, for the impact of It bending the wheel hub, pushing everything in, the Box frame has got to be bent, The OP needs to remove the box to eliminate further problems down the road, also possible broken belt in tire from impact, how fast was that guy going?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your first mistake was not going throughout insurance coulda maybe got a new truck outa it lol they total everything now in days especially when they hear possible bent frame ect GL.

Jendsley06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there a chance that if everything else checks out that maybe it is the box not centered perfectly, and that it was like that before the accident? I thought I saw a thread on here somewhere that someone else had that happen. Just a guess.

Mudders Beast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe some scientists out to here to comment but the inertia physics of a hard impact to the axle could move the bed out on the passenger side. Bed tried to resist indirect movement. A force imparts an equal opposite force. Compare clearance to cab on both sides.Like pulling a tablecloth off fast while the dinner ware stayed put. The lack a the driver’s citation does not prevent insurance claim in Ga. Also check if your State has Diminished Value payment. Hope you get whole on damages, even if you get self labor rate reimbursement. Receipts are your friends. Good luck.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
My deductible is $500 which I consider a cheap loan to make sure my truck doesn't have other undiscovered issues down the road. This seems to be a case of penny wise and pound foolish. You need to get the truck to a good frame shop and find out what is really going on, if you haven't spoiled your claim by the DIY stuff you already did.
Canyon

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hello guys, need some answers to my problem. I got into a accident with my ram 1500 4x4 5.7. The guy hit me on the right rear tire , causing my hub cap to disintegration and bent my axle. So far have not gone through insurance. Tire and rim checks out fine. Replaced the right rear axle due to being bent. Did a 4 point wheel alignment also. But the right rear tire sticks in further then the driver side. The driver side sticks out 1 3/4 more then the passenger rear. Now im bringing it in for measuring on the frame but what else could be the problem? Spring saddle is fine. Mabey the differential? Would appreciate the help boys

View attachment 205132

View attachment 205133
From your pics-it looks like your passenger side front and backs stick-out the same distance, while your drivers side back looks as if it got pushed out from the hit. It is sitting out much further than the front. Now I am curious- please keep us updated-I feel for your pain.

DieselMike29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I would think if you were hit in the passenger side and it did not contact the bed, the bed would slide to the passenger side if a little loose. Or rather, the bed would not have slid to the driver side with the frame. If that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Essentially, inertia would have kept the box where it was while the tire/wheel got pushed to the driver's side. Even if the box isn't "loose" (feels tight and the bolts (only 4, I think) holding the bed/box of our trucks on the frame aren't loose) it is possible the axle got moved over toward the driver's side and the box didn't go with it.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well no one was charge so we have to pay the deduct. Like i stated we noticed the box off set , so im going to move that shift that over. The truck has bin driving great for where i live. Hit many pot holes , had weight on the back end and still no noises , no wobble , no vibrations , rear tires spin normal with no wobble in the tires. Mabey its a dodge thing? Cause when i measure the front tires they sit further out then the rears.
This is really stupid , some one hits your truck and no charges, Not the way it works in Canada.
If it was hit hard enough to bend axle, I sure would be worried about the wheel as well.
If you bumper clearance is off at the sides of the box, than the box shifted on the mounts.
Find dead center of the box on the bottom, underside at rear , than measure to the frame and see if it is the same on both sides, front should line up with the back of cab. You can't do a alignment with a tape measure. I would also check the axle on both sides to the plates to make sure they are the same

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is most probably the box shifted on the frame as Marshall said in the last post. Take some bed/box to frame measurements on both sides and that should tell you if the box shifted. With the box to bumper being different on the two sides tells me the box shifted.