Rear Footwell Lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
after doing a little research on here, I thought id give installing rear footwell lights a try. my truck is a 2019 1500 classic big horn. the rear lighting connectors were present, but since it is only a big horn, there were no actual lights installed under the rear seats. I first started by wiring my own harnesses to go from the led "pods" to the oem connectors under the rear bench. I didn't have the correct Mopar pins for the stock lighting connector, but these little computer pins I did have worked very well. heres the light wired up ready to be installed, as well as a photo of the light itself and the pins I used to make it plug and play for the trucks factory connector.
IMG_4279.JPG
IMG_4291.JPG
once the new led "pods" were wired, I took them to the truck and made a small hole in the seats underside carpet lining so I could run the wiring through it as it were oem.
IMG_4286.JPG
the led "pods" are attached to the seat by a piece of velcro.
IMG_4285.JPG
heres both sides installed in place.
IMG_4287.JPG

OP
OP
A

andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
once the pods were centered in the seat where I wanted them, I fished the wiring to the bottom corners of each seat and inserted the + and - wired into the trucks factory connector.
IMG_4282.JPG
and the connector reinstalled on the seats frame rail.
IMG_4284.JPG
and that's it. it was a very simple install and the natural white led color matches the rest of the trucks led lighting I have installed. heres some photos of the lights on. first photos showing how they look during the day.
IMG_4288.JPG
IMG_4290.JPG
IMG_4289.JPG

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Looks nice. Where did you get those lights ? I assume you snaked the wires through the seat bottom and not remove the bottom material ???

OP
OP
A

andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks nice. Where did you get those lights ? I assume you snaked the wires through the seat bottom and not remove the bottom material ???
the leds are from superbrightleds.com. these are the ones I used. https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ture-rectangle-led-accent-light-black/25/174/ and yes I used a stiff piece of wire to act as a fish to go from the small incision I made, to the seats outer most lower corner. I didn't remove any of the upholstery to fish the wiring through.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
the leds are from superbrightleds.com. these are the ones I used. https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ture-rectangle-led-accent-light-black/25/174/ and yes I used a stiff piece of wire to act as a fish to go from the small incision I made, to the seats outer most lower corner. I didn't remove any of the upholstery to fish the wiring through.
Thanks a lot ! I have a cheap led set up but not as bright as your.. Thanks for helping me spend more money on my RAM lol

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That looks great, I have been thinking about doing that for my back seat bottom.
Also those would work great for the front floorboard lighting and cheaper than the factory ones.

OP
OP
A

andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That looks great, I have been thinking about doing that for my back seat bottom.
Also those would work great for the front floorboard lighting and cheaper than the factory ones.
would work good on the front as well since they are very small and come with double side tape already on them. also for the front lights, (the little round ones with the white opaque lenses that everyone uses) can be found in most junkyards for peanuts. when I bought the ones for my old truck (2013 express) I pulled them from a Jeep Liberty if memory serves me correct. a lot of Chrysler models used the same lights.

ScheiRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Do these lights turn on when the doors are open or are they on all the time? Looks great! I'll be getting some for mine. The harnesses you made look like factory. Where did you get the materials

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Do these lights turn on when the doors are open or are they on all the time? Looks great! I'll be getting some for mine. The harnesses you made look like factory. Where did you get the materials
On y 2015 SLT the wiring connection's were already there and pre wired to the door /light s so only comes on when you open doors then fades

TXTONKA

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Looks great.. I've been considering this upgrade too...

OP
OP
A

andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks. the lights function just as the dome light does, so yes, they come on when the doors are opened, when the truck is unlocked, etc. the 2 factory wires in the connectors located under the rear seat that these new under seat led are wired into, are tied into the the rest of the trucks interior illumination wiring, so they act the same as the under seat lights that came standard on higher trim level trucks. as for the materials I used, the flex loom, sometimes referred to as "tec-flex" or "expandable wire loom" can be sourced via Ebay or amazon. it comes in different diameters. Iirc, i used 1/8" diameter loom on these. you can use any wiring you have or want, it doesn't need to be any bigger than 18g (20g is still probably overkill) as the leds don't use very much amperage. and finally the heat shrink. I buy it here locally to me from a marine electric supply house, but you can buy those little multi size combo packs from harbor freight or any of the big box stores.

TXTONKA

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I ordered the LEDs you used.. Can't beat the price.. I was going to order the factory light setup, but these seem pretty bright and look just as good. Now I just need to identify and order the factory plug connection.

dracman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 black out edition
Engine
hemi 5.7
i think the plastic peiece is there under the seat of my 17 express but no wireing.wheres it run too ill have to look lol

JC5Cents

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
after doing a little research on here, I thought id give installing rear footwell lights a try. my truck is a 2019 1500 classic big horn. the rear lighting connectors were present, but since it is only a big horn, there were no actual lights installed under the rear seats. I first started by wiring my own harnesses to go from the led "pods" to the oem connectors under the rear bench. I didn't have the correct Mopar pins for the stock lighting connector, but these little computer pins I did have worked very well. heres the light wired up ready to be installed, as well as a photo of the light itself and the pins I used to make it plug and play for the trucks factory connector.
View attachment 196166
View attachment 196167
once the new led "pods" were wired, I took them to the truck and made a small hole in the seats underside carpet lining so I could run the wiring through it as it were oem.
View attachment 196171
the led "pods" are attached to the seat by a piece of velcro.
View attachment 196172
heres both sides installed in place.
View attachment 196173

Nice work!! Any chance you might have a link for the computer pins you used?