rear gear oil capacity and oil brand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spittle357

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been searching the forums and my manual does not show the capacity on my 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 sport crew cab sport rear diff oil. What is the capacity and also what brand diff oil do you guys like? I just purchased the 4.10 gears from Moes and can't wait to get them installed.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Buy 3 Qts... I personally would use Red Line or Amsoil Severe Gear! But I'm not your NORMAL owner!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Redline or Motul, if you read the other thread in the forum a lot of good info. If you shop locally, if you use Redline they have a dealer locator, you can buy three quarts but if you only need two you can take it back if you don't feel like storing it. Research ester based gear lubes, there are only two companies that commit to that that I mentioned above, and in gears it is a huge benefit. Amsoil likely uses some group 5 esters as well, but they don't commit to it like Redline or Motul, but still a very good choice.

OP
OP
S

spittle357

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why do you like redline and amsoil? Also do you know what the capacity is for the 2013 rear diff?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I like Redline for one reason, they are the only American company that makes real synthetic oil. There is no ground oil in Group 5 oil, it is made from mixing an alcohol and an acid. They also use more molybdenum then any other company. Invest an hour or so and read the syn thread in my sig, most guys find it informational. Some of the info is dated because the oil industry is a fast changing industry, but there is a lot of knowledge from a lot of guys in that thread.

Amsoil "was" committed to group 4 oil, which also is much better then group 3 oil. However, like I was saying things change and there have been advancements in group 3 formulations so there are a lot of good choices. No engine oil will last in your engine and still protect your engine like Amsoil. We know this based on reading used oil analysis's and following the TBN (additive package number that shows the oil is still protecting against acid buildup), it is a 25k mile oil if you use a synthetic media filter in your engine! It is widely talked about that their premier lineup with a mix of group 3/4/5 oils.

An example of changing info may be if you were looking for an engine oil, if you read all of the oil posts you might opt for Penzoil Ultra instead of Redline or Amsoil, and that literally may be the best choice eventhough they are group 3. Not for a long oil change interval, but for low wear numbers.

But for gears and tranny's there are huge benefits from using ester based lubes, and there is only one American company that makes them. If you have any quetions after you read the syn thread, I'm sure guys like Syn or Myself will point you in the right direction. There are no brand loyalties between us, we just know what additive packages we prefer and then we pick an oil that matches what we want for our trucks.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sorry I don't know the capacity offhand, but I think it is 2qrts, best to have a 3rd qrt on hand though.

Oh Yeah, welcome to ram Forum.

Reactions: SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I used 2 1/4 Qts...I might have over filled a little bit. It was running out the fill plug hole pretty good.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Why do you like redline and amsoil? Also do you know what the capacity is for the 2013 rear diff?

I have researched both oils many months and have used both with nothing but Positive results...mostly and most importantly I feel in my mind & opinion I am using 2 amazing good products... That is good enough for me...

I am using and have used Amsoil Severe Gear in my 01 7.3L PSD for 268k miles with rear ended service every 50K miles and the Limited Slip still works flawlessly... Very few owners with this many miles on the unit who rely on the LS can say this with ... I very rarely have to engage 4WD due too the LS working like it is supposed to...Is this due too the Quality of the Amsoil as well as my **** service regiment? I would like to think so...
Red Line Gear Oils speak for themselves... Race teams all over the world use their products...

Last edited:

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4wd RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Buy 3 Qts... I personally would use Red Line or Amsoil Severe Gear! But I'm not your NORMAL owner!

I'm doing a front and rear diff change this weekend. The Mopar stuff is $30 a pint and $10 for the additive. That is pretty steep charge for gear oil.

Sould I go with the Red Line 75W140 GL-5 with the additive in it or get the Red Line 75W140 NS GL-5 and add the Mopar additive to the Red Line gear oil?

Thanks

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did both differentials on mine about a week ago. I used valvoline syn and I added the limited slip additive even though valvoline says it's for limited slip differentials.

2 1/2 qt for rear
1 1/2 qt for front

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
is redline 75w140ns fine to use in an open diff? its 7 dollars cheaper than the normal stuff but it says it dosnt include "friction modifiers". Will it preform the same as the normal stuff in my open diff, or will there be a bennifit to the friction modifieres even tho I dont have a limited slip?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You only use additives if you have chatter, and you only add one ounce at a time until it goes away. That is the oil I would use in the back dif, in the front 75w80 or 85 whatever your book calls for.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
To date nobody has needed the dif additive when using redline ns.