Rear height off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Milkman6453

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 ezb
Driver side rear vs passenger side rear, driver side is lower by 1.5 inches. How does one fix this?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
run on empty gas tank, new rear springs, use search feature top of this page and enter TRUCK LEANS, all kinds of things folks have done for this known issue.

btw, almost every truck leans, across brands, not just RAm

OP
OP
M

Milkman6453

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 ezb
Thanks, tank was at 1/8 when measured.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Most trucks, including Ram's, are not perfectly level from side to side, especially in the rear. They have definitely gotten better over the years.

I have always attributed the rear height of a truck to the torque of the engine which has a direct effect on the frame of the vehicle. The twisting motion the frame goes through every time the engine torque tries to pull the left front of the truck up and it pushes down on the right rear.

When I have had customers complain in the past about the difference in side to side height I have used shims under the leaf spring mount to compensate for the difference.

Now, with a 1.5" difference from side to side I would start by placing the truck on jack stands on a flat, level surface. Then I would pull the wheels off and start taking some measurements to determine where the discrepancy has occurred.

I suspect the leaf spring has probably lost some of its Arch and is causing the height difference.

Here is a picture of a sagging leaf spring. Does your look like this?

Sagging springs.jpg

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Lots of things to check and the datum of the frame is a good place to start if there is nothing obvious mechanical. All manufacturers build vehicles with problems. My girlfriend's Jeep Compass is short on the left wheelbase by over 1/2" from the factory, never hit anything. Steering wheel always off center no matter who aligns it. @Fast69Mopar is absolutely right on about the right rear squat, look at any big block 60's / 70's Chevrolet muscle car.

OP
OP
M

Milkman6453

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 ezb
Very good info, i appreciate the insight. When i get some free time i will investigate into these items. It is hard where I am, to jack the vehicle up, as i do not have a paved driveway. Dirt life.