rear shocks need a rebuild is this ok?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tunder-raptor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L
SO I have an icon vehicle dynamics stage 3 lift kit on my ram and one of the rear shocks looks like a seal has failed, I am planning to take them off and send them to be serviced and rebuilt. but I don't have a second vehicle and was wondering if it would be ok/safe(ish) to drive without the shocks and only the springs in the rear for a couple of weeks while they are being serviced?

Not looking for legal advice just some honest opinions.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
SO I have an icon vehicle dynamics stage 3 lift kit on my ram and one of the rear shocks looks like a seal has failed, I am planning to take them off and send them to be serviced and rebuilt. but I don't have a second vehicle and was wondering if it would be ok/safe(ish) to drive without the shocks and only the springs in the rear for a couple of weeks while they are being serviced?

Best bet is find a set of cheap shocks with the same spec or close and run them. I’m sure @Nick@GotExhaust could help with a cheap replacement if he has anything available. No shocks can allow to much free suspension movement and over bumps will allow the truck to bounce uncontrollably and possibly loose control or just be extremely unpleasant. I know @ram1500rsm has rancho shocks for that exact reason. I have my bilstein stuff for temporary replacement whenever my fox will need a rebuild.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

I've drove more then a few beaterr vehicles in my time with broken shocks or shock mounts,just be very careful crossing railroad crossings/speed bumps etc.,and don't be trying to set any speed records.The thing i'd worry about is hitting a bump big enough to unload the suspension and losing a rear spring. If you plan on driving it for a few weeks,you might want to fab up a tether cable,short enough you can't unload the suspension to the point a rear spring could fall out,but Khris's tip of a set of cheap shocks would be a better option.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stick something cheap in there. Its the safer way to go here. Way too many variables to worry about. I wouldnt risk it. Let me know if we can help

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a pair of cheapy rear shocks. you have Skyjacker, KYB, Procomp, Rancho 5000,RC etc for your year model truck. They’re around $50 each :) drive on those as needed until you get your Icons back. Like Crazy indicated I have the full set of Rancho 9000's that I drove for 12k miles before they became my backup set when I switched to Kings. I'll run on Ranchos when my Kings are getting serviced.

OP
OP
T

tunder-raptor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L
ok thank you all for your advice about this

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online