Rear wheel lock up, heres why!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Douglas Brewer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well finally happened. Going down hill forward there was a shutter and the right rear wheel on our 2014 Ram 3500 froze and skidded the rest of the way. Figuring it may be problem with parking pawl or emergency brake failure got it into my garage, pulled tires, axle, hub and emergency brake shoe on one side fell off. Rusted area around it, shoes and springs pretty rusty. We bought it used so I suspect it may have launched a boat a few times. No other way to get water in ebrake hub.
Replaced springs shoes, cleaned up area, new seal for axle a 73503 national seal, and axle flange gasket. Could have been major catastrophy if we were pulling our fifth wheel.

TXTONKA

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wow sounds like you go lucky you were not towing during the failure. You bring up a going point. I'm sure most people, my self included, don't remove the rear brake rotor and inspect the parking brake pads.