Rear window cracks and leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just picked up a used 2019 5th gen. Noticed the two cracks at the rear window. Is this something Ram is only fixing under 3/36 (I'm past 36k, over 50k actually)?

What has been the cost to fix it out of pocket otherwise?

I noticed some old water marks on the frame but it rained all morning and nothing was wet (parked in the driveway).

Thanks

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am fairly sure that the Rear Power Sliding Window
comes with the frame, glass & motor

Map Title 23-016-21
TSB
NUMBER: 23-016-21 GROUP: 23 - Body DATE: April 22, 2021
OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves inspecting and if needed replacing the rear sliding backlite if leaking.
MODELS: 2019 - 2020 (DT) RAM 1500 Pickup

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with Rear Sliding Window (Sales Code GFD) or Rear Power Sliding Window (Sales Code GFE).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION: The customer may comment on the following:
• Water leaks from the cab back, evident on rear seats, carpet, and potentially roof.

OWNER MUST COMPLAIN

DIAGNOSIS: If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED: Qty. Part No. Description
1 (A/R) 68303351AI Rear power sliding glass (Sales Code GFE)
1 (A/R) 68426398AE Rear power sliding glass (Sales Code GFE with Rear Window Defroster)
1 (A/R) 68335723AI Rear power sliding glass (Sales Code GFE with Clear Tinted Glass All Windows)
1 (A/R) 68333671AH Rear manual sliding glass (Sales Code GFD)

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So is it something covered even outside of warranty, like a campaign?
Like @Wanted33 said, check with your dealership. Some people have had this covered outside the warranty, some have not. The only way to know for sure is to ask. From what I've read, the cost to repair has been reported to be in the neighborhood of $1300.

The dealer repair is pretty invasive, and there have been reports of leaks even after the repair. If the window on ours ever starts leaking after the warranty period I'll probably just fix it myself with a tube of black silicone. Mask off the painted area and the top of the window frame (outside of cab) with painter's tape, and inject the silicone into the groove between the window frame and the painted surface. So far there are no leaks, but we have the same cracks you described. They've been there since the truck was 6 months old. I never noticed them before that.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
What is the TSB

Does a TSB mean free repair?

Technical Service Bulletins are issued by manufacturers when there is a problem found in a number of cars which does not have an obvious fix. The TSB is a guide for mechanics to fix the problem but it is not a free fix by itself.

Do you have to pay for a TSB?

You can expect to pay nothing if your car is under warranty and the service technician can verify that your vehicle has the problem described in the TSB. But if you don't ask for the fix until after the warranty expires, you may be charged.

So when you go to the Dodge Dealer for anything
Write down that the rear window frame is Cracked
of course, you can also vocalize it

tul9033

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They replaced the body control model on mine as well as the above parts. I went in with the complaint that my battery was dead after leaving the running boards deployed.
After they replaced the window I went back there and could plainly see water stains on the headliner. BTW, there was several pieces of broken glass on the floor where I assume they shattered the window during removal.

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone had this issue fixed outside, warranty?

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Of everyone that I have read about getting the rear window replaced outside of the basic warranty has had to pay out-of-pocket except two. One paid half and the other one had it taken care of. It's not probable, but at least it's possible. The answer is always 'no' unless you ask.

There is also a STAR Case (#S2023000024) that addresses this too.

TSBs and STAR Cases give the dealership specific guidance for issues that get identified but are only funded by corporate if under warranty (they are not "free fixes").

The issue with the rear window frame is that glass is not covered by any ESP. There's nothing wrong with the glass (just the frame is cracked) but the whole rear window has to be replaced, which falls under the glass clause. Because of that is why it's not covered by an extended warranty.

If you even think that something's leaking in the rear get it checked out under warranty. If it doesn't get replaced you have it documented in the basic warranty period giving you at least a foot in the door to discuss the issue if it happens later.

Last edited:

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
If you bought your truck used, and it's outside of the factory warranty, you should still check with the dealer. If the rear window had been changed before for cracked frame or leaks, the new frame/window comes with a separate 3 year (3 yr I believe) warranty for defects.

MrChad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you bought your truck used, and it's outside of the factory warranty, you should still check with the dealer. If the rear window had been changed before for cracked frame or leaks, the new frame/window comes with a separate 3 year (3 yr I believe) warranty for defects.
It's 2 years through Ram. Some dealerships offer an additional year on that. I just went through a replacement that involved a fight at one dealership that refused to honor their 3 year warranty, a call to Ram that verified the manufacturer 2 year warranty on parts (not labor).

OP: Your best bet is to call the dealership and ask them if the window had been changed before you bought it. If it has, ask them for the name of the glass company they use. Dealerships subcontract glass work. Then call that glass company independently and work it out with them. Many glass companies have better warranties on repairs than dealerships do..... plus you don't deal with the stealership trying to rip you off forcing repairs you don't need.

I just had my window replaced for the second time. Dealership refused to honor the warranty unless I paid them $800 for a new antenna "just in case that's leaking too" Instead I did what I mentioned above. Called the glass company and had it replaced free of charge or hassle.

SixAddict

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I commented under a thread title in this section “Rear window frame cracked”

My 2019 DT 1500 had the frame cracked on either side of the rear sliding window. I was at 35k and 35 months so the dealer did the repair under warranty. They did the removal and replacing of rear glass and all, they have a full body shop on site so they stated they would be doing the work.
So far so good.

Wish you all that have this issue good luck.

Another thought I have had is if you have glass coverage and something were to “happen” to rear window glass, insurance would pay for it. Down here in AZ glass coverage is a must, it’s like a natural disaster of rocks on the highways…lol.