Rear window pass-through to topper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CptDondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
I’m looking to put a custom topper on my 2019 Crew Cab. I want to remove the rear window and install a boot to act as a pass-through to the topper.

A couple of obvious questions - I assume a glass shop is going to be the best place to remove the glass; not a DIY.

Anyone have a source for the boot itself? Something that would seal against both the cab and the topper.

Thanks!

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Last time I used a boot was the last time I will ever use one. It rubbed the paint off the cab over a period of eighteen months. Be careful with a boot as they have their issues.

OP
OP
C

CptDondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
Do you remember the brand? And can you provide some details on how it happened?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I inquired about some form of boot between the cab and the topper, the first thing that came out of the owner of the shop I bought the top from "it will rub the paint off the cab".
The bed of the truck and cap constantly flex independent of each other while driving. If anything is touching the paint between the two it will eventually rub through the paint. Same thing can happen with moulded mudflaps unless a paint protector strip is used.
I had a clear paint protector along the top edge of my tailgate where the rubber seal from the cap lift gate sits just in case.
One bonus to not having any form of boot between the cab/cap is I can open the rear window when it's hot out to help keep the truck cooler.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Google “cab boot”....there are many on eBay and Amazon...they all work the same - slide between cab and topper, inflate, watch paint rub off over time.

Don’t say you haven’t been warned.

OP
OP
C

CptDondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
OK that explains it. No way I'd use an inflatable. I'm looking at this:

https://www.accordionboot.com/

or similar (there are a ton of manufacturers) as I want a permanent solution that won't rub the paint off. :)

The idea is to remove the rear window completely and provide a large pass-through so my dogs won't slobber all over the interior while riding in the back. (And yes, the back will have insulation and ventilation and all that for the dogs. They take care of me and I take care of them.)

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The idea is interesting for sure. Seems like you'd have to have fixed mounts on both the cab and the shell/topper with a flexible fabric between the two. I wonder if exhaust fumes would be an issue? My guess is you'd have to have something custom made and it would probably be expensive. If you get to the point of removing the back glass, I'd prefer a body shop or the dealer over a glass shop, assuming you have a power back glass.