Reasons why I’d run a catch can on a 6.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I know there is always a “healthy debate” on the topic of catch cans and people are very passionate on which side of that particular fence they fall on. Well, I tore down a 6.4L engine this weekend and it only had 60,000kms (40,000mi) on it but the carbon build up in the intake runners and on the valves was unbelievable. The plugs weren’t exactly clean either. Even with the engine knock this thing was diagnosed with, the amount of carbon buildup definitely wasn’t an overnight issue.

Now, the 6.4L does run an EGR, and coupled with the PCV, it’s a bad combination IMO, just like the pre-Eagle 5.7L I used to own. The best thing about a catch can on this 6.4L is it at least removes the vapours that combine with the solids from the EGR to form the scale buildup. If you’re not going to delete the EGR, you gotta do something.

A catch can is not a “must have” mod, but it sure would help with the longevity of an engine like the one I tore down this weekend. It’s a guarantee this truck ran on 87 octane (oilfield service truck), saw lots of idling hours, and probably was lucky to get an oil change on time. The detergents in higher octane fuels would also help prevent/reduce this buildup but someone running a truck like this would never use them because the company would only ever pay for regular.

b735eedca3ce40cb331c2403390fba1a.jpg

2f5a501832ce3090b53c26c27ad2b873.jpg

e7c2ca7575e943694d7c64157889dde3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Dumb question, does a catch can void warranty?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I feel like the catch can gets ragged on for the crazy claims that it makes hp. I don’t get why people would not think it helps keep the engine clean, and a clean engine is a happy engine...

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought a catch can on the 6.4 wasnt possible due to the location of the components, i thought it was internal. do you see a way to run a CC? because I am all for running one! to my knowledge there is no 6.4 specific CC yet

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I don't believe anyone makes them for it. If someone has different info let is know.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
@charonblk07 Do you see a viable way to bypass the internal PCV/EGR systems?

Reactions: U&A
OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I thought a catch can on the 6.4 wasnt possible due to the location of the components, i thought it was internal. do you see a way to run a CC? because I am all for running one! to my knowledge there is no 6.4 specific CC yet

I don't believe anyone makes them for it. If someone has different info let is know.

Nobody made a kit for the pre-eagle 5.7L either but some of us made something work. I personally plugged the PCV in that engine with RTV and ran a PCV from a 4.3L vortec mounted in the valve cover with vacuum from the brake booster hose. I also remember a guy that drilled out the internal PCV valve, installed a tube through it, blocked the internal vacuum port, and ran an external PCV.

@charonblk07 Do you see a viable way to bypass the internal PCV/EGR systems?

You need to plug off the PCV valve, easy way is to remove the valve and gob it with RTV, then reinstall. Once that's plugged you can run an external PCV, either tap your valve cover and run an in-line PCV or drill for a **** and run a universal 90 degree PCV. You just have to connect the other end of the valve to a manifold vacuum source and there are plenty of hoses you can put a tee into.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Plugging the valve and using non standard parts would void the warranty.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What was the reason for the tear down?

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
What was the reason for the tear down?

Bought a long block core from the dealership to be used as a starting point for a 426cuin stroker. I was doing the tear down to remove the rotating assembly and oil squirters that won't be used in the final engine and to see If I could find the source of the diagnosed bottom engine knock.

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Did you find the source?

I was stumped actually. Found some wear and heat hardening on the #3 main bearing but no other indications of where the knock would have come from. Wrist pins, pistons, rods, all looked good. Gonna take the calipers and micrometers out to test everything, I’m just curious at this point.

for 40,000 miles that doesn't look too bad

For 40,000 miles I was not impressed when compared to how clean the intake tract is on other EGR/PCV engines I’ve run with a catch can for twice that distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdodge

Reaction score
Why wouldn't a catch can from a 6.4l car work on the truck? Obviously attachment points will be different.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

raginglaramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kurtis why are you removing the piston oil squirters for your build? Would you not want to make them work for more heat dissipation?

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Kurtis why are you removing the piston oil squirters for your build? Would you not want to make them work for more heat dissipation?

They interfere with the piston in a stroker kit and the forged pistons handle heat a lot better than the stock pistons so they aren't needed.

raginglaramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh ok, there’s no way to modify them to work as it’s always a bit of extra wiggle room for temp reduction on high boost levels?