Rebuilding 5.9L Engine, Need recommendations for camshaft and throttle body!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Earl Carothers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Small Block Mopar Magnum
I am currently taking on the task of rebuilding, taking the engine to be completely rebuilt, and rebalanced by a machine shop, the engine for my 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9L engine. Its been a family truck, has 367k miles currenty! Still runs like a champion, though she's just tired now.. Not looking to really make it into any kind of powerhouse of a engine, but am wanting to give it a little bit more punch than what it has currently. It does have a direct connection computer that my father replaced the original with. Only looking to replace the camshaft, throttle body in the process of the rebuild, nothing too much! If anyone has any ideas or suggestions as to what products i could look into, feel free to like them or point me in the direction of where or what i could look into! Thank you!

Mopar or no car!

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Plan on heads as you will most likely need those.

OP
OP
E

Earl Carothers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My father and i already plan on port matching and kegging the heads for improved air flow, the machine shop will just resurface them I imagine.

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My father and i already plan on port matching and kegging the heads for improved air flow, the machine shop will just resurface them I imagine.

They most likely will be no good if OEM, between the cracks and seat issues it is cheaper to replace them.

OP
OP
E

Earl Carothers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I cant seem to find any air gap intakes that im able to use with an EGR valve or that have ports for the fuel injectors, not sure if im looking in the wrong places or just cant find one that would work.

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Honestly i don't recommend ANYTHING mentioned. The pcm you have doesn't properly account for modifications, least not past some basic boltons. If you wish to do such things you'll need proper tuning. Options there are:
A. Carb swap
B. Later model truck or obd2 conversion
C. Standalone engine management

318_performance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 c.i.
You won’t the edlebrock air gap converts the magnum efi into a “magnum with a carb”

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8

318_performance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 c.i.
That yea but to me it would depend on your geographic location. I mean Illinois we’re I’m from hot an cold you might have to tune the carb for winter an summer so it wouldn’t be good for me but someone in the southern states might do better with it being carb. But I like the old school stuff an the thought of a 750 carb 318 magnum seems pretty awesome.