Rebuilt Title

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben Pierson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 ram 1500 with less than a 1000 miles I am interested in buying from a local company in South Carolina. The problem is that it’s currently totaled and is being rebuilt. The guy that’s rebuilding it is turning a big horn trim package to a sport package inside and out and he wants 25500 for it. I have a friend that just bought one from him and is currently getting it titled, his truck is amazing you cannot tell it had ever been in an accident. I’m looking for pros and cons of the rebuilt title because with it being over 20k I don’t want to loose my ass when I sell it 5 years from now when I get new truck fever again.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
A rebuilt title will make the resale next to nothing down the road. Unless you are going to keep it for a long time then I would walk away and save up for the model you want new. Or a used that hasn’t been in an accident.
Also it will probably limit what you can insure it for.

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I have a buddy that’s bought R titles before and its hard as hell to resell it later on as no one can finance it, cash only sale, it will never sell for what you think it’s worth because of the R. Only buy it if you plan to never get rid of it or if you are fine with the risk of losing big money

Silver Goose

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Larame Longhorn
Engine
Cummings 6.7 Diesel
The record of the truck being one model now is another model is not good. The VIN will reflect what the truck should be. I think I would ask your bank or other lenders what they think of a rebuilt title.

At $25500 this does not sound good. Is this rebuilder certified and insured for the work he is doing, if not, run don't walk away from this "deal".

Rebuilders in Arkansas must carry insurance and under state law, the rebuilder is liable for all of his work. Whether he has insurance or not.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont care what hes doing to is, rebuilt title is basically 25% value of a retail truck. As well the vin decides its a big horn its always a big horn. If you can get that truck for say 10k it would be a deal.

Ive been in the car business 15 years, I would never pay more than 25% of book on a rebuild. Its not worth it in the long run.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I have a 2017 ram 1500 with less than a 1000 miles I am interested in buying from a local company in South Carolina. The problem is that it’s currently totaled and is being rebuilt. The guy that’s rebuilding it is turning a big horn trim package to a sport package inside and out and he wants 25500 for it. I have a friend that just bought one from him and is currently getting it titled, his truck is amazing you cannot tell it had ever been in an accident. I’m looking for pros and cons of the rebuilt title because with it being over 20k I don’t want to loose my ass when I sell it 5 years from now when I get new truck fever again.

Umm, dang.

I paid less than $23k for a 2017 SLT that wasn't totaled...

That idle thought aside, the Carfax on the truck you're looking at will always have a big, fat "1 Accident" on it (with too many juicy details to be comfortable), which will scare away pretty much every potential private buyer (and cause dealers to drop their trade-in offers to practically zilch.)

Dude, I'd low-ball it to whatever he paid in parts... maybe. If not, cut that figure in half (at most) and not pay a penny more. A Salvage Title (which is what that's commonly called) is going to be a curse on that truck for the rest of its existence (and if I remember right, it will have no warranty at all from FCA since it was written off as a total loss.) Also, you;re not really buying a truck form this guy, but you're buying his skill and the parts he bought to fix the thing - if those parts are not all OEM-spec or better (especially the critical parts in the powertrain), and if he's not at least ASE certified, you could be buying a great big money pit.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Rebuilt Cars go for roughly 50-65% Off. Are you willing to lose that much on top of normal depreciation?

The $25k doesn't make sense because 19 bighorn can be had for $33k. I would pay $16k for that truck.

There's the man that know the value of a branded title vehicle whether it was wrecked, flooded, burnt or theft recovery. 60-65% off TRADE-IN book, voided warranty, plus miserable insurable value. I've built salvage since 1978 and they were ok before the state title brand laws and Manufacturers tracking vin's. Today they're worth more dead as parts than alive as a rebuilt.
You will never resell a T/L "branded" vehicle and make out even marginally well. They are best left to the body shop techs to rebuild for themselves or to recyclers for parts. No dealer that could read would ever take it as a trade in for more than 25 cents on a dollar.

Last edited:

Stasek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
At his asking price - definitely a good move to pass on it. Having said that, I currently own 2 vehicles with rebuilt titles and couldn’t be happier with them.
Got an LS460 2 years ago for under $13k (retail at the time was probably $17-$18k). Car was babied all its’ life, and was always dealer maintained prior to the accident (driver side front impact - no airbag deployment). 2 years/30k miles later, all I did besides regular maintenance was O2 sensor.
The second car is a beater ‘08 Honda Fit. When my second daughter started driving and we needed 4th car, it was either this, or buy another beater with completely unknown history (I wasn’t buying her a new car). That one was $4k and has been running great as well.
Due to limited resale (no dealer will take them in on a trade), I’m prepared to run them into the ground, if I have to. Beats having payments on depreciating assets.
BTW, I bought both cars from a family member, who has a body shop.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've bought a couple of salvage an rebuilt title cars in SC. But they were cheap beaters and I got them for about 40-50% of what the same car with a clean title was going for. Fine for kid to drive or as a "spare". I'm with the rest here, the price is too high for a rebuilt title, and most financial institutions won't finance it.