recommandations on brake kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I'm hoping to try and do my own brakes. what's a good recommendation? OEM?
The truck is my backup vehicle, probably drive it about at most twice a week anywhere between 5 miles to 15 miles for appointments. We will be doing some towing this summer with our trailer.

Thank you.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Powerstop has some good kits. Find your kit and then check Amazon. A lot of them are Prime eligible.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
We will be doing some towing this summer with our trailer.
Tow vehicle brake needs depend on what you are towing. A camper with electric brakes or a boat with surge brakes, for example. Maybe a small trailer that falls under the weight requirement for trailer brakes.

If you tow occasionally and for short trips, you won't need much of anything special as compared to pulling a 16K RV down a mountain pass.

Tell us what you are towing, how often, and the terrain your will be towing in.

Ghost1500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm going with these because I am a cheap skate. lol....

They are coated, crossdrilled and come with ceramic pads and made by Detroit Axle. Great price too!

Best regards,

-Mike

OP
OP
Athlium

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Tow vehicle brake needs depend on what you are towing. A camper with electric brakes or a boat with surge brakes, for example. Maybe a small trailer that falls under the weight requirement for trailer brakes.

If you tow occasionally and for short trips, you won't need much of anything special as compared to pulling a 16K RV down a mountain pass.

Tell us what you are towing, how often, and the terrain your will be towing in.
We will be towing a Forest River Flagstaff Microlite 25BRDS. 6 confirmed trips. just about every other weekend this summer in PNW. Closest would be about 1.5 hours tow (73 miles away) Furthest would be about 6-7 hour tow (325miles away). Will be driving all standard paved roads as far as I know and freeway.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
We will be towing a Forest River Flagstaff Microlite 25BRDS. 6 confirmed trips. just about every other weekend this summer in PNW. Closest would be about 1.5 hours tow (73 miles away) Furthest would be about 6-7 hour tow (325miles away). Will be driving all standard paved roads as far as I know and freeway.

Does it have trailer brakes?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
yes.. the Trailer does have integrated trailer brakes.

Then I'd forgo the extra expense of slotted / drilled rotors and carbon fiber pads. First, the load is moderate, relatively speaking (though you have a half ton, it's still not a high load). Second, trailer brakes take a significant brake load off the truck brakes.

Best bet for cost, performance, and lifespan is solid surface, coated rotors and ceramic pads. Powerstop offers these, too. Guys report good results from Wagner as well. We use Bosch around here.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We recommend the R1 GEOMET rotors and posiquiet pads brake package we have put together. It provides smooth, quiet, and reliable operation while improving stopping power! These are low dust and long lasting!

Use promo code GOTBRAKES15 for a discount and FREE shipping!

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Nice RV, you are going to enjoy your camping trips. That is a fairly good-sized TT for a 1500, if the specs I saw were correct, you got about 26-foot of trailer and I'm guessing just a little north of 7K tow weight once the TT is loaded up for camping.

I couldn't find a lot of info on the trailer's braking ability so I'm going to assume it has electric drum brakes on both axels. If you are getting the trailer brand new, you will need to bed the trailer's brakes, something few RV dealers tell people about, me included. Follow the instructions on bedding the trailer's brakes.

You didn't say if you have a factory trailer brake controller but if you do, follow the setup steps in the owners' manual to adjust the trailer brake gain. Once this is done, you will have proportional trailer braking, the more braking effort applied to the tow vehicle will also apply additional braking effort to the trailer. Remember, the trailer's brakes are responsible for stopping the trailer just like your truck's brakes are responsible for stopping the truck.

As far as brakes for your truck I always error on the side of caution. I've used the Power Stops on both my 1500 and 3500. There are other solutions that work equally as well as the Power Stops but I only have first-hand experience with the Power Stops.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I'm going with these because I am a cheap skate. lol....

They are coated, crossdrilled and come with ceramic pads and made by Detroit Axle. Great price too!

Best regards,

-Mike

"Detroit Axle"....Sounds like something Harbor Freight would make up, which figures because it's China crap.

Ghost1500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I used them before and they worked well. I just posted it since the economy sucks right now. Whatever someone goes with really doesn't matter to me.

Best regards,

-Mike

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have used Powerstop pads on my Chargers for a few years but thought I would try something different for the truck. I got the R1 Concept Geomet rotors like Nick suggested. They stop so much better than the factory setup. The cool trick with the Geomet rotors is they do not show surface rust(at least not yet) and I like that.

Ghost1500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
OP
OP
Athlium

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Since the truck has 80k+ miles, I don't know what kind of work was done before on it. Should I err on the side of caution and replace both pads and rotors or just pads? They started to screech within the last couple of weeks..

OP
OP
Athlium

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Nice RV, you are going to enjoy your camping trips. That is a fairly good-sized TT for a 1500, if the specs I saw were correct, you got about 26-foot of trailer and I'm guessing just a little north of 7K tow weight once the TT is loaded up for camping.

I couldn't find a lot of info on the trailer's braking ability so I'm going to assume it has electric drum brakes on both axels. If you are getting the trailer brand new, you will need to bed the trailer's brakes, something few RV dealers tell people about, me included. Follow the instructions on bedding the trailer's brakes.

You didn't say if you have a factory trailer brake controller but if you do, follow the setup steps in the owners' manual to adjust the trailer brake gain. Once this is done, you will have proportional trailer braking, the more braking effort applied to the tow vehicle will also apply additional braking effort to the trailer. Remember, the trailer's brakes are responsible for stopping the trailer just like your truck's brakes are responsible for stopping the truck.

As far as brakes for your truck I always error on the side of caution. I've used the Power Stops on both my 1500 and 3500. There are other solutions that work equally as well as the Power Stops but I only have first-hand experience with the Power Stops.
Any particular power stop kit you recommend? There are so many options to choose from..

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
We recommend the R1 GEOMET rotors and posiquiet pads brake package we have put together. It provides smooth, quiet, and reliable operation while improving stopping power! These are low dust and long lasting!
Don't all new brake installs provide smooth quiet operation? Reliable, some don't do well when they get hot or wet. Long-lasting, that is fairly ambiguous, isn't brake life dictated by the severity of usage?