Recovered my stolen truck, but not my keys.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

realmikeg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Friday night around 9 o'clock my truck was stolen right out of my driveway. I was backed in and had been working in my garage; in and out of the truck, tailgate down until 720 (I could see on my Ring camera), so naturally my keys and wallet were still in the center console. My camera did not get a good look of who took the truck, but I did find it later on that night via an assist from my AirPods that were in my gym bag... Long story short, my keys have not been recovered... I have a spare and I know with alfaobd I can program a new fob. Is it possible to deactivate the fob that was stolen somehow or can I reprogram the truck to all new fobs without having to go to a dealership?

Fifty

Reaction score
Ram Year
As a Subaru technician, we can delete all keys/fobs as long as there is at least 2 fobs to program to vehicle. Ppl lose their fobs and worry about that exact situation quite often. Not sure if Ram is the same. Of course that will require a trip to the dealership.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you have insurance, report the theft to police

It will likely cost you for a WIN module, ( ignition Switch )
2 new FOBs,
RF HUB Module
Then programming
to buy & program with a different set of FOBs, etc. will be over $ 1,000

Your current FOBs are pre programmed to the Win Module
as long as the thief or joy riders have a FOB, they can steal it again & again

Check around for pricing, against the dealership.
Do you have an Auto Electric Shop in your area, maybe an Auto Alarm Shop

One other place would be

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Friday night around 9 o'clock my truck was stolen right out of my driveway. I was backed in and had been working in my garage; in and out of the truck, tailgate down until 720 (I could see on my Ring camera), so naturally my keys and wallet were still in the center console. My camera did not get a good look of who took the truck, but I did find it later on that night via an assist from my AirPods that were in my gym bag... Long story short, my keys have not been recovered... I have a spare and I know with alfaobd I can program a new fob. Is it possible to deactivate the fob that was stolen somehow or can I reprogram the truck to all new fobs without having to go to a dealership?

This is an old thread but does identify an inexpensive solution to extract your PIN code using an App called Pin Puller.

The following link is from a 2022 post in the thread above where the user describes spending $15 to successfully extract a PIN.

The OPer hasn't been online since 2019 but chrisbh17, who claims to have asked and received the PIN from his dealer, is still active.

I read this on page 1 of 15 pages, so, lots more information is available to read on the subject.

Good luck and sorry to hear of your grief.

Last edited:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
This is an old thread but does identify an inexpensive solution to extract your PIN code using an App called Pin Puller.

The following link is from a 2022 post in the thread above where the user describes spending $15 to successfully extract a PIN.

The OPer hasn't been online since 2019 but chrisbh17, who claims to have asked and received the PIN from his dealer, is still active.

I read this on page 1 of 15 pages, so, lots more information is available to read on the subject.

Good luck and sorry to hear of your grief.

IIRC I pulled my pin with AlfaOBD.

Screenshot_20231018_072605_AlfaOBD.jpg

OP
OP
realmikeg

realmikeg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
why not report it to the police and have your insurance cover it? at the very least the cops will know there's a car thief working the hood.
I did report it to the police. I called my town police, they came out and wrote up a report. Just afterwards, I went out for a drive in my wife's car.. Realized I was looking for a needle in a hay stack, so started to head home. Then remembered I had my airpods in the truck. I checked the location and it popped up at a local community housing in the next town over. I called my police, who transferred the report to that town. I drove by the pin of my airpods and did not find my truck. Thought quickly that, if I was dumb enough to steal someone's vehicle; I wouldn't park it outside my house, but I would want to be within walking distance.. a quick ride, not even 2 minutes around the corner, I found my truck in a parking lot. Called the new police (from this town) and they came by with 3 cruisers and we towed the vehicle out. We recovered my gym bag and airpods later that night from the location with the pin, but when I got my truck back from the police on Sunday evening, it was completely cleaned out. Everything, from registration to muffler and still no keys or wallet.. I think they were able to pull a print off one of the doors because there was a sticker in the area that had not been peeled off well and it was surrounded by finger print dust.

I would like to avoid calling the insurance because ultimately if I submit the claim, I have to meet the deductible before they pay for anything. I haven't looked but call it $1000.. I spend that, and then they cover a couple hundred AND raise my premium AND tag my carfax that the truck has been stolen. Also, any property stolen out of my truck would fall to my homeowners insurance, so it seems pointless to call Geico.

OP
OP
realmikeg

realmikeg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As a Subaru technician, we can delete all keys/fobs as long as there is at least 2 fobs to program to vehicle. Ppl lose their fobs and worry about that exact situation quite often. Not sure if Ram is the same. Of course that will require a trip to the dealership.
This is great! I hope I can do something like this

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Excellent news!

Could you please provide the path to this adjustment in AlfaOBD?

To get your PIN.
Select Radio Frequency Hub
Screenshot_20231018_140110_AlfaOBD.jpg

Under control unit, select your model year
Screenshot_20231018_140125_AlfaOBD.jpg

After you select Connect, Select the hood up Fiat icon
Screenshot_20231018_140211_AlfaOBD.jpg

Select Read Pin
Screenshot_20231018_140254_AlfaOBD.jpg

Select START and it will display your PIN
Screenshot_20231018_140314_AlfaOBD.jpg

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To get your PIN.
Select Radio Frequency Hub

Under control unit, select your model year

After you select Connect, Select the hood up Fiat icon

Select Read Pin

Select START and it will display your PIN

Thanks so much, that's awesome.

Another item for my to-do list. :cool:

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always thought if someone steals my truck I don’t want it back.. lol
Just give me my insurance payout and move on. Sounds like yours wasn’t too bad but if longer id be worried about what they did to it!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I believe that IF you delete the FOBs file from the WIN Module, that is all that it does.
If you reprogram 2 brand new FOBs, those new FOBs will get programmed with the exact information that the old FOBs had on it.

The programming is within the WIN Module, from what i understand.

So you would have to buy a brand new WIN Module & the number of FOBs that you want
The Body Control Module is mixed in there some how ?

Last edited:

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
According to the Service Manager at my local CDJR dealer, once programmed, keys can not be deleted.
Sorry that's not true. You can remove keys with AlphaOBD and add new ones. But when I last did this you can also add back previously fobs that have been attached to a vehicle without the fob being unlocked/factory reset. Meaning that if a clever thief has your fob and AlphOBD with a OBD port tool they can easy add the removed fob you just removed (one they have in hand now that they stole it) to your vehicle because it's hard coded in the fob as well to your vehicle. New WiN module installed in your vehicle like mentioned before in this thread should keep that from happening I think since it will have different identifier being a different module.

At a min, you need to wipe all keys from truck and add the one in hand you have left back to car with AlphaOBD and adapter. I'd then add some new 3rd party fobs from Amazon that are new- how ever many you need. And don't forget the physical key blade in a fob....as your door is still keyed to that as well. Myself, I'd get new fobs from online and do alphaobd myself and then go to locksmith and get door and glovebox rekeys while taking new fobs in so you get all in hand fobs with physical blade keys in your fobs that work all redone. And then kill switch and parked inside if possible at night.

Or say screw it and trade it in and be done with it... :)

Mopar~Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
> but when I got my truck back from the police on Sunday evening, it was
> completely cleaned out. Everything, from registration to muffler and still
> no keys or wallet

Who cleaned the truck out? The thief, or the cops?

They stole your muffler?

Do you think if instead of airpods in the truck, you had an air tag, that you would have more easily / quickly found the truck? Or maybe with an airtag, if the thief had an iphone his phone would have told him about the tag?

Last edited:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
According to the Service Manager at my local CDJR dealer, once programmed, keys can not be deleted.
I believe that was true for some older Chrysler products, my daughters PT Cruiser was one of them.

Funny though, on that car you could program the FOB on your own!

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 100717 miles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat