"Regular" Track Bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all,

I'm the original owner of my '99 Sport. 360, Auto.
My truck is stock. Factory suspension rolling on factory wheels 265/75/R16. I see a lot of posts about different track bars, but most people here have lifted, or lowered trucks.
What's the best luck that everyone has had, for a track bar with stock suspension, for our trucks? Obviously, I wouldn't need an adjustable, but if it gave you good luck, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks.

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I put one on from autozone back in 2016. It's still on there. I think my truck has been leveled slightly. Are You trying to fix a particular issue, or just have the tires peeking out when you turn?

Reactions: Mop
OP
OP
Mop

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put one on from autozone back in 2016. It's still on there. I think my truck has been leveled slightly. Are You trying to fix a particular issue, or just have the tires peeking out when you turn?

I've never had a death wobble, but a slight one at about 65. A shimmy. A few years ago, I changed everything, including a Moog Track Bar. It seemed to ramp up, and I tightened it down (yes, I got about 3 more notches out of the castle nut, after the mechanic put it in). It's still there, and there's no reason for it.
I've heard about 3rd Gen replacements, other companies like Spohn, etc. I'm wondering if anyone has had the best luck with a particular brand or type. Since most trucks here are modified, I might try a 3rd Gen on my own, and hopefully, that will end it.
She rides fine. She doesn't do it all the time. Maybe on a curve, or a bump.. Everything you can think of, has been replaced. I'm about to replace the steering rods to T-steering, also. Maybe that is part of it.

Just wanted some backup ammo, in case the shimmy still happens.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
DW aka shimmy can be any moving joint in the front, or result from stacked tolerances of multiple components. Wheel bearing, ball joint, TRE, and of course the track bar.

In recent years there’s been an explosion of counterfeit parts from China masquerading as quality brands. It’s easy to get stuck with some junk that has improper tolerance right out of the box.

Get a dial indicator if you don’t own one and start checking movement in every part. Maybe it’s the track bar, or maybe it’s other parts.

Good luck, I have fought DW before and it can be elusive.

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Control arm bushings? What's your steering box like? Steering box brace?

I could see my tires move out of the wheel wells when I replaced mine. It was the first part I replaced on my restoration project. :rotflmao:

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Probably a dumb question… have you had an alignment recently? Also, if you have, did you get a print out of before and after?

You also mentioned that everything has been replaced, but would you mind listing all of the items in the steering, suspension, and hubs that you have replaced? Have you checked the bushings in your rear springs and hangers?

Sometimes a pry bar can be your best friend for finding this kind of stuff. There might be something that feels totally fine when you wiggle it by hand, but with enough force you can make it clunk or click.

OP
OP
Mop

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Control arm bushings? What's your steering box like? Steering box brace?
Control arms are new. (Always a chance of bad factory parts), but it feels the same as bfore the replacement.

My steering box wasn't terrible, not leaking, but had a little play after 22 years. I put a Blue Top in, with steering brace. Much better response, but again, my occasional shimmy. "Drives" me nuts.

OP
OP
Mop

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Probably a dumb question… have you had an alignment recently? Also, if you have, did you get a print out of before and after?

You also mentioned that everything has been replaced, but would you mind listing all of the items in the steering, suspension, and hubs that you have replaced? Have you checked the bushings in your rear springs and hangers?

Sometimes a pry bar can be your best friend for finding this kind of stuff. There might be something that feels totally fine when you wiggle it by hand, but with enough force you can make it clunk or click.

Not dumb. An alignment was done around 2 years ago, when I replaced parts. They did a printout, and they showed me the adjustments they did.
As far as parts, all tie rods (I made the mistake of buying Y-steering, but I now have new T-steering from 1999 2500HD rods, and will go in), Track Bar, Timken hubs, control arms, ball joints, axle u-jooints, drive shaft joints (Spicer), gear box, brace, steering shaft. She's been good to me for 20+ years, so I gave her a treat of new parts.
The rods are Moog. I have a feeling the Y-steering might be the culprit. When I get these new rods in, I'm hoping it fixes it. If it doesn't, I was going to focus back onto that Track Bar.

Outside of this 65MPH shimmy, she rides nicely. And sometimes, it goes away. I don't beat up my truck. This is why it's distracting me.

OP
OP
Mop

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get a dial indicator if you don’t own one and start checking movement in every part. Maybe it’s the track bar, or maybe it’s other parts.

Good luck, I have fought DW before and it can be elusive.

My brother's friend owns a shop, I'm sure he has a dial indicator. I will ask him about it, thanks!

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My brother's friend owns a shop, I'm sure he has a dial indicator. I will ask him about it, thanks!
As a mechanic, I will say he may want to help you, but might also be wary of loaning you his dial. If he is, don’t take it personally. They are extremely fragile. One small drop and they are done. They sell a kit with one at Harbor Freight that has a lifetime warranty, so you can keep exchanging it every time you drop it.

I would still suggest checking everything in the front end with a pry bar first. Usually if there is an issue you can hear a little “clunk”

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I believe energy suspension makes a poly track bar bushing. Don't rule out tires with a shimmy, especially when it comes and goes. That almost sounds like 2 tires ever so slightly out of balance. I had a set of goodyears that could not be balanced out.

OP
OP
Mop

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As a mechanic, I will say he may want to help you, but might also be wary of loaning you his dial. If he is, don’t take it personally. They are extremely fragile. One small drop and they are done. They sell a kit with one at Harbor Freight that has a lifetime warranty, so you can keep exchanging it every time you drop it.

I would still suggest checking everything in the front end with a pry bar first. Usually if there is an issue you can hear a little “clunk”

I wouldn't take it personally. He actually told me I can use his shop any time I want to, he trusts me. If he doesn't trust me using anything in there, he would let me know. I'd have no problem having him do the work, and paying him. He knows his stuff.

OP
OP
Mop

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe energy suspension makes a poly track bar bushing. Don't rule out tires with a shimmy, especially when it comes and goes. That almost sounds like 2 tires ever so slightly out of balance. I had a set of goodyears that could not be balanced out.
That has been on my mind. Strange thing, I not only rotated everything, but also, put different tires on it. Same thing. It feels like it's focused on the driver's side wheel. This is why that Track Bar is on my mind. I have a feeling the tie rod end of it was bad from the factory. I'll find out soon, thanks!