Remanufactured ECU causing other issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techman101101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

My 2003 Dodge RAM 1500 VAN with a 5.2-liter engine would NOT start.

I purchased a REMANUFACTURED ECU (Electronic Control Unit, AKA: main engine computer) for it, installed it and now it starts fine and runs GREAT.

However, ever since I installed this REMANUFACTURED ECU, BOTH the “BRAKE LIGHT” and ABS lights are ON…… AND no matter what I do the CATALYTIC CONVERTER will NOT switch to “READY” so I can’t pass DEQ.

The MIL (Check Engine Light) does work but it is NOT on. In other words, I have verified that the MIL does work fine; but this issue with the “CAT: NOT READY” is NOT causing the Check Engine Light to turn on.

I would really appreciate some suggestions and thanks in advance (smile)

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know GM and Ford did it is there a Eprom chip that's inside the ECU that holds allot of vehicle specific date for your engine you'll have to pull it from the old one and install it in the reman unit.

Rustypipes12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just went through electronic hell on my '09 Ram truck. I don't know how the vans are wired but it's possible that the ABS control module needs to be flashed. If you have a local independent that you trust, ask them if they have the ability to flash modules. If not ask if they know who could, most likely you'll have to take it to a dealer. If you do make sure that you explain the problem and that they are willing to take the time to fix it! I had to tow mine to two different dealers before I got it fixed and it cost me nearly $2000 when all was said and done. But my truck now runs great and should be good for another 14 years.

OP
OP
techman101101

techman101101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know GM and Ford did it is there a Eprom chip that's inside the ECU that holds allot of vehicle specific date for your engine you'll have to pull it from the old one and install it in the reman unit.
Thank you for your reply Dodge 1500.
As a retired ASE technician I have replaced many ECU’s over the years. All they way back to the early computers Chrysler used to bolt right on to the side of there air cleaners and I NEVER had to swap EPROM’s on them. As an A Plus certified, MCSE I am VERY familiar with EPROM’s.
And there was no mention that it might be necessary to move the EPROM from the original failed ECU.
Anyway, the point is mote now because I already gave the original ECU back to the store to get my core charge refunded. Once I verified that the van started and ran fine.
Anyway, thank you for your suggestion.