Remote Start Distance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know guys b*tch about Uconnect app/service price but this distance thing is one of the reasons I have it. Like when I leave for my shift and 5 miles away I can't remember if I locked it or not for example. Open the app and hit lock.
To me it's worth it. Not promoting it just saying for some it's a necessary convenience.
uConnect pissed me off with the app, as when I had the trial, it barely worked, even when I could SEE my truck (the app). And frequently the "this is where your truck is right now" was HOURS/DAYS behind. And I have the 18, so it is 4G factory...

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep I have to do the same thing. I start pushing the unlock button and watch for the lights. Once it unlocks the truck then I will lock it back then if both work at this distance I have a chance of it starting. Sometimes it will start then and sometimes I have to get closer. I am glad it does work from inside the house which isn't far but through a few walls.
I just hit the button a couple times for remote start. If it works, I'm in range. If it doesn't, I wait a bit until I'm closer.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a federal mandate for remote starts to run for only 15 minutes, regardless if its uconnect activated or FOB. Start it 3 minutes before either way and it is good enough. In the colder weather the diesels will high idle @ approximately 1200 rpm so it warms quicker and is not as bad.
I usually just start it once i can see it, so as I load it up, it is getting the "bad" temp air out of the system. Not "to comfort". As gas ain't cheap...

My truck is getting close to 70k, 5 years, and only has 92 idle hours. Versus over 1600 running. Might be almost 1700 now.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When i walk out of places like Home Depot,
( i park into Contractors area, parking spaces are longer & wider. )
I look for my Orange Ram, if i don't see it, i press the Panic button.
The Panic button seems to have a longer range than the Remote Start

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
uConnect pissed me off with the app, as when I had the trial, it barely worked, even when I could SEE my truck (the app). And frequently the "this is where your truck is right now" was HOURS/DAYS behind. And I have the 18, so it is 4G factory...
Mine is also an 18. There was a couple of weeks a couple years ago it had an issue but after updating the app mine has worked fine since. Yes for the "where the truck is now" location feature you simply update it via app. It's not necessary to auto update constantly.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is also an 18. There was a couple of weeks a couple years ago it had an issue but after updating the app mine has worked fine since. Yes for the "where the truck is now" location feature you simply update it via app. It's not necessary to auto update constantly.
I would do the manual refresh, and it still was way off. Drove to FL shortly after getting the truck, and while IN FL for hours, it still said I was parked at the place we stopped in GA for food. And it rarely worked for the lights/remote start, so... Screw it. Not paying for features that don't work for me.