Remote start doesn't work, hood open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seatrout46

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have a 2015 RAM 2500 Mega Cab 6.4L that the remote start no longer works due to a message the hood is open. I have looked on ebay for the hood alert switch but cannot find anything that looks like what is on ebay under the hood. Any tips on what to look for, where is it located? Any work arounds?

OP
OP
seatrout46

seatrout46

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I was afraid of that. Looks like a several hundred dollar part from the dealer. Anyone know a work around?
And yes, that is what it looks like.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was afraid of that. Looks like a several hundred dollar part from the dealer. Anyone know a work around?

Contact Benny @AllMoparParts and it looks like its only a $35.00 part..... PM him and give him your vin, he can make sure you get the correct part and free shipping.

This should be the part you need #68159725AB.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

How did you determine it was a “several hundred dollar part”?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you can remove the connector you can put a 1K ohm resistor across the circuit to test it and make sure it's a bad switch. You can't just short the wires, needs to be a 1K ohm resistance across it.

OP
OP
seatrout46

seatrout46

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
If you can remove the connector you can put a 1K ohm resistor across the circuit to test it and make sure it's a bad switch. You can't just short the wires, needs to be a 1K ohm resistance across it.

I followed your advice and put a 1K ohm resistor across plug. The remote start now works. Any reason not to just leave it this way?

OP
OP
seatrout46

seatrout46

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel

The resistor worked, the remote start now works. Any reason not to just leave it like this?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The resistor worked, the remote start now works. Any reason not to just leave it like this?

Just the safety aspect of it. Someone could start it while you were working under the hood. With that said you could disconnect the battery or pull the resistor if you had concerns about it when you are working on it

OP
OP
seatrout46

seatrout46

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Just the safety aspect of it. Someone could start it while you were working under the hood. With that said you could disconnect the battery or pull the resistor if you had concerns about it when you are working on it

The error never kept me from starting or driving the truck, it only prevented the remote start from working.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The error never kept me from starting or driving the truck, it only prevented the remote start from working.

I guess what I meant was that say someone in the house could remote start it while you were working under the hood and you could loss some fingers or something. That's the only real danger.

Htsderek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Besides the danger to yourself think about whether someone not familiar with your truck will work on it, a dealership or mechanic friend. If they happen to be working around the serpentine belt when it starts they could lose some vital parts if someone was dorking around with the key, even if they're just leaning under the hood it can be quite a shock when the engine starts to turn over unexpectedly.

If it were me I'd run the resistor but make plans to replace the latch in the next week or two. Someone suggested the latch would be around $32 from Benny, and I've seen them on eBay for $30-$40.

As an additional note, I've got the key fob pictured below, and I've hit all 4 buttons while working around the truck with the remote in my pocket. Even double pressed the remote start button once or twice.

upload_2021-2-16_9-46-49.png

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Besides the danger to yourself think about whether someone not familiar with your truck will work on it, a dealership or mechanic friend. If they happen to be working around the serpentine belt when it starts they could lose some vital parts if someone was dorking around with the key, even if they're just leaning under the hood it can be quite a shock when the engine starts to turn over unexpectedly.

If it were me I'd run the resistor but make plans to replace the latch in the next week or two. Someone suggested the latch would be around $32 from Benny, and I've seen them on eBay for $30-$40.

As an additional note, I've got the key fob pictured below, and I've hit all 4 buttons while working around the truck with the remote in my pocket. Even double pressed the remote start button once or twice.

View attachment 237872

Why is the fob in your pocket when you're working under the hood.If i'm doing anything at all under the hood,the first thing i take out of my pocket and lay on the seat or console is the fob.Get in the habit of removing the fob from your pocket and put it out of reach, if you're working under the hood

Htsderek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Why is the fob in your pocket when you're working under the hood.If i'm doing anything at all under the hood,the first thing i take out of my pocket and lay on the seat or console is the fob.Get in the habit of removing the fob from your pocket and put it out of reach, if you're working under the hood

When I was younger, between monkey headed friends playing with the car while I was working on it or me locking my keys in it, keeping the key in my pocket meant I kept it out of anyone else's reach and I knew where it was. Because keys are more fragile then they used to be (the used to just be a piece of metal) and the cost to replace them, I try to remember to roll down an window and leave them inside, old habits die hard though.

There are multiple ways to staying safe under the hood if you override the latch, I was trying to suggest the OP remember other people may be under his hood and not know the latch was bypassed, and may not remember or think of taking the extra precautions.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I know from experience that remote start won't work if there's a problem with the EVAP system.
My gas cap wasn't tight, truck remote started & immediately died, over and over.
Retightened the cap, presto!
It might be tied into other systems too in order to prevent catastrophe if started, who knows?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
When I was younger, between monkey headed friends playing with the car while I was working on it or me locking my keys in it, keeping the key in my pocket meant I kept it out of anyone else's reach and I knew where it was. Because keys are more fragile then they used to be (the used to just be a piece of metal) and the cost to replace them, I try to remember to roll down an window and leave them inside, old habits die hard though.

There are multiple ways to staying safe under the hood if you override the latch, I was trying to suggest the OP remember other people may be under his hood and not know the latch was bypassed, and may not remember or think of taking the extra precautions.

In the old days,it was okay to keep the key in your pocket,now not so much,lol.

OP
OP
seatrout46

seatrout46

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Thanks for all the replies, some good points on safety I hadn't considered. I will look for a replacement latch.

OP
OP
seatrout46

seatrout46

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel

Who is Benny?