Remote start problems in cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian N

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
With the temps dipping down to -30C (-22F) we are using the remote start every day. Well, trying to. Today, with the temp at -25C (-13F) I tried to remote start our 2011 Big Horn.
It will start, but, after about 10 seconds, it shuts off and says that the remote start is disabled. Start truck to re-enable. (Or, some thing to that effect)
What would cause this? Would it be that it is just too cold?
Also, the check engine light came on. Not sure what the code is yet. Hope it warms up a bit so I can go figure that out.
Thanks for any help.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dollars to cents your CEL is for a P0300, Random/Multicylinder misfire code. Mine has done that every time I start it and let it sit idling when the temps drop below 0°F. And when the CEL comes on, seems certain things don't seem to work (ECO mode for example), which might also include the remote start system.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The check engine light will disable the remote start system. You need to pull the codes and see what the light is on for. Everything else will just be wild ass guess.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Been as low as -36C here with the windchill but no problems yet. (Fingers crossed)
Hope you get yours figured out.

OP
OP
Brian N

Brian N

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Excellent. Thanks jwheeler. I will look into the code tomorrow.

ramrunner56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your check engine light is on, that disables the remote start. It's this way on my dad's GMC

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
also if the dam fuel light is on it disables the remote start

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Also (not that this is your issue) but low fuel will kill the truck after 5-10 seconds as well.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2harsh winters and still going string without a CEL (knock on wood)

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine will only do that if its -40c or colder, resets itself after driving a few times in warmer weather, or disconnecting the battery for ten minutes or so, sucks and is unfortunately pretty comon on the newer rams, 13's anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Brian N

Brian N

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for all the info and help.
Now, is there a way to check and clear the codes at home?
I know in my '01 Ram, I would turn the key to the on position, back and forth, on the third time, stop on the on position. Then the display would show any codes. Any thing like this for the 2011?

OP
OP
Brian N

Brian N

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well, I read if you hold down the odometer reset and turn the key, it will show problems.
Upon doing this, it says my trailer brake was disconnected.
Turned key off, started, that problem went away.
Still have check engine light on. So, tomorrow I will have to take it to the shop and see if they can find the problem.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe that is just a self test for the cluster. Should do a gauge sweep and flash all the lights. I don't think you can pull codes in the newer ones without a scan tool.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
God forbid people be able to take care of issues themselves...they want you to have to pay money for anything and everything

The older jeeps were great my boss has 3 grand cherokees they all self diagnosed and showed codes on the dash

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
On the Ram it will tell you why it was disabled on the evic for low fuel not sure for a check engine light but of course if check engine light is lit that is easy. The remote start won't work for many reasons including open hood, open door, low fuel or too cold and if it tries too long and can't start. The manual says if I recall correctly at temps -22F and lower a block heater is recommended and likely required. Now remember wind chill has no impact on a vehicle but parking in the cold wind if actual temperature is lower will impact ability to start. We had a cold stretch last winter here of -30F where my Ran would not start and I did not have a block heater. I added one this summer so I would not be faced with the same issue. The ones on the Hemi are interesting and do not hook into the coolant system. They are a probe NEAR the exhaust manifold on drivers side. I will see how well it works soon. When mine would not start last winter it said disabled after failing to start as not to wear down the battery.

Last edited:

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The op already said he has a cel on. Just need to figure out why. That's why the remote start isn't working. The block heater on the Hemi goes into the block near a coolant jacket. Not in the exhaust manifold. That wouldn't do much good.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Sorry meant near the exhaust manifold it was tricky to get in there around the starter and exhaust. It is nice though as no coolant is lost installing like some of the old ones. Thanks for setting me straight jwheeler.