Remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Henry50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I have a 2016 ram 1500 it does not have a remote start button on fob. How do I know if truck is equipped with remote start. Also I was considering of buying a remote start plug n play kit from 12v solutions other than dealer. Do I need to buy a factory remote fob. Or is there a different option available for me ty

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If the keyfob doesn't have the button then it's highly unlikely that the truck has it unless the fobs were replaced for some reason.

You can buy and install (or have installed) the factory setup, that will include new fobs. It's about $260 to buy it and do it yourself but you will need either a dealer visit for programing or a copy of AlphaOBD to program it yourself. My dealer quoted me $600 for it with installation.

Or you can get one of several aftermarket options. Some have you push the lock button several times on the existing fob and some have their own fobs. Some even work with an app on your phone. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

-K

Chandlerdoom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can remove the cover on your key to see if the remote start is present, you'll notice when you remove the cover that the circuit board will have a silver circle where the buttons are on the key pad. If you look at the underside of the rubber keypad you'll notice the little button "strikers" (or whatever they are called) that make the button work, you'll only have "strikers" for the buttons that are present on your fob. So if you have the circles on the circuit board where the remote start should be then all you need is to super glue a "striker" in the position to use your existing fob.

To add remote start you can just use alfa. You'll need to enable remote start, make hood ajar present, change hood ajar to 500ohm (you can try with or without changing this), you'll have to ground the hood ajar bcm wire (tells the bcm that the hood is closed all the time), cycle key/close open door to allow the system to take the changes. double click where the remote start is on the fob and your truck should honk 3 times and start. total cost not* including alfa is $10ish just to get the button striker, some wire, and an eye for the wire.

Alternatively you can buy the hood switch instead of grounding the wire if you don't feel comfortable cutting it, adds to the cost but makes it more oem. You can even just buy the kit that includes 2 fobs with the switch and still use alfa to activate it.

This is the reason I downloaded alfa, couldn't believe I could have factory remote start for such little money

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
To add remote start you can just use alfa. You'll need to enable remote start, make hood ajar present, change hood ajar to 500ohm (you can try with or without changing this), you'll have to ground the hood ajar bcm wire (tells the bcm that the hood is closed all the time), cycle key/close open door to allow the system to take the changes. double click where the remote start is on the fob and your truck should honk 3 times and start. total cost not* including alfa is $10ish just to get the button striker, some wire, and an eye for the wire.

That's only true on 2017+ trucks with the updated RF Hub with the integral antenna from the factory. 2016 trucks (like the OP's truck) and previous year trucks do not have the newer style RF hub with the inactive remote start, the RF hub has to be replaced, the antenna added, etc.

-K

Chandlerdoom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's only true on 2017+ trucks with the updated RF Hub with the integral antenna from the factory. 2016 trucks (like the OP's truck) and previous year trucks do not have the newer style RF hub with the inactive remote start, the RF hub has to be replaced, the antenna added, etc.

-K

ah, good to know

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have the remote start on my 2016 and hated it. several occasions when reaching in my pocket for something and heard my truck start because bumping the button while key in my pocket, fixed that though by pulling apart the key fob and tearing off the button depressor in it so will not cause an unintended start.