Remove Engine Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I pulled mine, painted it and put it back.
Stepped up to vararam intake and after about a week with the vararam it came off and is sitting in the garage

View attachment 181713

View attachment 181714

What did you use to paint the Vararam? I have 1 also and I’ve thought about painting it but I’m not very good at painting. I like yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What did you use to paint the Vararam? I have 1 also and I’ve thought about painting it but I’m not very good at painting. I like yours.

Thanks Elevated, Im pretty happy with the look!
High heat auto paint rattle cans from home desperate!
Lots and lots and lots and then some more prep is the key to a good looking paint job!
I sanded, wet sanded, filled little imperfections, sanded then wet sanded. Primed about 3 coats, wet sanded again, painted 2 coats and wet sanded again then 3 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear!
Needless to say I was really picky as I wanted it to pop!!
I think it does....but all told I spent about 3 weeks as time allowed,(work) and drying time

Edit...the dual colors added to the time

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

First, get some of those plastic gloves, not unlike what you see in a doctors office. Skin has oils and those oils will cause paint issues. Fish eyes and the like.

Next, use a quality paint thinner and a clean linen rag.
Old T-shirts work well.
Then used those, liberally doused with paint thinner, to clean the entire engine cover.
Once cleaned, allowed it to dry.

Grab a can of plastic adhesive promoter, which can be bought at wal-mart or automotive parts store.
(NOTE: Try to stay within the same brand for all your paints. Just makes things a little easier, since they are designed to work together.)

Spray very light coats, on the well cleaned engine cover, according to directions on the can.

Figured it was far better to lay down the adhesive promoter, LIGHTLY, LIGHTLY, LIGHTLY. And allowing it plenty of time to dry, properly.

I want that STICK, to the engine cover, so my paint can stick, to it.

Once the adhesive promoter was dry. I then did the same with the Primer.
Applying light coats, according to the can itself.

Did more than a few coats of Primer, since I was going to sand this down, to try and smooth out the texture of the engine cover. If you look closely, it has a slightly bumpy surface. I wanted it smooth as a baby's bottom.

After sanding the primer, needed to re-clean the engine cover, as stated above. Then applied final coat of primer.

After that final coat of primer dried, started in on paint.

Now, some guys have gone all out, using lots of colors, some have even done fine artwork. I;m not an Artist and figured two colors was plenty. The color of my truck and good old black, everything matches black.

Masked off & painted the middle section, first.

Once dry, taped it off and painted the sides.
(NOTE: If you are planning on doing two different colors, in your middle section. Say, Gloss black and flat black, this is the time to do second color.)

Once the completed middle section was done and dry, taped it off.

Simply too my time, used good paint tape.

Letters could have been bought, on ebay , as perfect fit stickers but then it is only the top of the letter that has color. I decided to tape off the letters allowing me to get paint on the sides of the letters too.

Once everything was painted, clear coat everything.
I used four coats of paint, followed by four coats of clear.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.midwestshutterbug.png

Hope this helps

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Damn. That’s nice! You look to be a better artist than I am!! I can give a 2 year old a crayon and they can put paint (brush or spray on) better than I can. Lol. Thank you for the instructions. I may take that up some day soon. If I do, I’ll definitely post it and thank you for the instructions again!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If it helps me get to oil operating temp even just a minute sooner so I can let the pedal get into open loop, that’s a win in my book!

It's a composite ie: plastic manifold that sits off the intake valley of the engine by a couple inches,plus there's a big ole chunk of foam rubber between the manifold and the intake valley that's sole purpose is to keep heat and noise from the MDS solonoids and lifters from radiating up into the intake where it could warm the bottom of the intake and to keep the average consumer from whining about the noise from the engine,plus throw in the fact the oil pan is a couple feet below the intake manifold,and I highly doubt the cover does squat for warming up the oil any faster Tim.You're really scratching bottom with that comment.You seem to have a hard time accepting the fact it's a cosmetic item to dress up the engine,and really has no function in warming up the oil any faster.The engine will operate as well or better with it off as it does with it on,and i'd lay odds it operates better with it off.

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mines off, took it off as I was considering painting it and putting it back on. My new plan is to just leave it off and get the 3G Customz valve covers to dress up the engine bay. Still waiting on my Billet Technology Underhood dress kit 3 months and counting now.

Please take before and after pics of the upgrade. I would really like to see how much difference it makes!!!

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please take before and after pics of the upgrade. I would really like to see how much difference it makes!!!
Will do for sure. These Billet Tech parts take along time from what I hear. But they tell me the wait is well worth it.

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody who's into racing their trucks usually removes the engine cover.Mine came off the day the truck came home,plus I think the engine isn't a bad looking engine,and to me the cover actually detracts from the looks of it.It's not as good looking an engine as an old BB Chevy,but it's still a decent looking engine in my opinion,lol

Yeah, those old big block Chevys are hard to beat
eb52da2546a10506128aec4fe285f6a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TallCowboy0614

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you guys really think that Dodge is going to put something on there for looks alone? No. No they are not. If they put something on your truck, you can reasonably bet that they did it for a reason. They are not going to spend money to add something like that unless there is a reason for it.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I think their reason is to hide the engine components, especially to the noise-reducing ugly foam and the fabric wrapped EGR tube.

Yep - Ram is going to put something on there for looks alone?

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Yep... no 1 buys a truck they don't like the looks of....unless its a cheap beater for a purpose....LoL

Jimjammer21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
Noise reduction, fuel efficiency, engine reaches operating temps faster, prevents dust and dirt to settle on top of the motor causing gasket and seals to wear out faster. Seems like it makes sense to keep it on.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noise reduction, fuel efficiency, engine reaches operating temps faster, prevents dust and dirt to settle on top of the motor causing gasket and seals to wear out faster. Seems like it makes sense to keep it on.
Maybe fuel efficiency where you live, here its 94 degrees today so if anything its just holding the heat in. Hell I never even saw a plastic cover on an engine until maybe 20 years ago when the LS engines came out. Like I said earlier the 6.2 and 6.4 HEMI's don't have engine covers so you will be fine without one. I wash my engine at least once every 90 days so it doesn't have much of a chance to get dirty.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Do you guys really think that Dodge is going to put something on there for looks alone? No. No they are not. If they put something on your truck, you can reasonably bet that they did it for a reason. They are not going to spend money to add something like that unless there is a reason for it.
*****. Jesus ******* Christ...

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
upload_2019-10-1_12-40-4.jpeg

Heavy duty engine cover just showing off here...

Margins are so great on these trucks they’re spending $100-200K for injection mold tooling to make the top of the engines appealing!

Last edited:

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Mine is in the shed. Stupid looking.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel

IMO none of that applies.

Edit:
Noise reduction does apply
There's also been some thought that the foam helps start/enhance an engine fire when EGR sticks open and burns a hole in the manifold

Last edited: