Remove Engine Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukonbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
does anyone roll with no plastic engine cover?
It seems like just a heat trap. Possibly some HP and MPG gains as well?

Let’s hear it!
Engineers, take years figuring the best airflow to those hot spots around the cylinder head and vital parts controlled by computer, PCM. All them experts in the forum will tell you it doesn’t matter, but I’m sure if it is an EPA warranty issue dealers will void or not honor. Cover off may give a small MPG increase, but is it worth repairs? Retire ASE Master Tech:)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Engineers, take years figuring the best airflow to those hot spots around the cylinder head and vital parts controlled by computer, PCM. All them experts in the forum will tell you it doesn’t matter, but I’m sure if it is an EPA warranty issue dealers will void or not honor. Cover off may give a small MPG increase, but is it worth repairs? Retire ASE Master Tech:)

This should blow your mind then. Explain to me how the 5.7 Shaker hood Challengers can even start then,they don't have an engine cover,they in fact have a honking big ass scoop bolted to the top of the intake manifold,that sucks in cool outside air while sitting on the top of the intake manifold,by a lot of comments on here,the engine shouldn't even start,let alone run on a cool damp day as there's no cover to direct airflow around the intake to keep these so called hot spots mininiumized.
Reading this thread is a riot with all the comments from the guys who've never even ran their trucks with the cover removed,but they're an expert on how the truck will run with-out the cover,lol.To the OP take the cover off if you want,it's not going to hurt anything,and if you're one of us that likes to open the hood at the carwash and wash the engine and engine bay down once inawhile,or weekly if you're **** like me,it's easier to keep the engine cleaner with out it on.This has been funny as hell reading,carry on you experts that have never removed the cover,lol

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Please ...... are you kidding me??? The engines today are running hotter by design to increase fuel economy. Stop over thinking everything. They run water temp to 215, and oil temps to 230. Relax, its supposed to be this way.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
If you’re commuting a rear-wheel drive 2 door boat with 400+ horsepower around during the winter months, you have other issues besides a missing engine cover.

Just the 6.4/6.2 engines in the charger do not have top hats. Don’t see a lot of SRTs on the street four months out of the year up here unless it’s a warm clear day.

Last edited:

cash4acres

4lb pompano
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L,660ftLbs=G56 Manual 6 speed

Let’s hear it!

Deleted cummins 2015. No cover. No radiator cover. No hood insulation.
1Easy to service.
2More engine noise.
3Easy to towel cover radiator 4 heat retension under 45 degrees
4Easy for access to all services oil air fuel filters fluids batteries
5easy to CLEAN
6easy to Do everything
7 MPGs UP in winter and summer
8 27-33mpgs freeway

Last edited by a moderator:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Maybe fuel efficiency where you live, here its 94 degrees today so if anything its just holding the heat in. Hell I never even saw a plastic cover on an engine until maybe 20 years ago when the LS engines came out. Like I said earlier the 6.2 and 6.4 HEMI's don't have engine covers so you will be fine without one. I wash my engine at least once every 90 days so it doesn't have much of a chance to get dirty.

Next, you are gong to state your never get any snow or below Zero Temps.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
If you’re commuting a rear-wheel drive 2 door boat with 400+ horsepower around during the winter months, you have other issues besides a missing engine cover.....

Uh, Why not?
Seriously, why not?

16 yr old, just learning how to drive? yes, i agree completely.
Fearful, timid, anxiety ridden Adult? again, I agree, completely.

I know how to drive. Can drive damn near anything, in any condition.
Only difference, and I do mean the only difference, is the margin of error between vehicle types and conditions involved.
Neither of which is important or bothersome to one who knows how to drive.

Let's take that other issues aside on step further:

However did those poor Folk manage driving those gargantuan monstrosities, prior to front wheel drive?OMG, how did I ever drive my 1979 Ford F-250 2 wheel drive , all those years, in all those Blizzards? The Horror!

Sweet Jesus, that 69 GTO, 69 RoadRunner, 72 Lincoln, how did we get around without dying?
Rear Wheel Drive Death Machines. they should be outlawed and taken away from people. No one should have one. simply too dangerous. Anyone who wants one has other issues. Severe Issues.

Sound Familiar, gun owners.

Blanket statements and knee jerk reactions are rarely well thought out or improve anything.

Last edited:

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should as we engineers design for the optimal 80 percent in SQDC.

There weren’t $1000 smartphones in the palm of your hands under the influence of a plethora of synthetic medication to survive the day either. The world is passing the old-timers by, keep your winter tires on and stick on the ice.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Hit a Nerve?

Old Timers?
Nay, just Able, the Root of Capable.

the Statement which I took exception was:
If you’re commuting a rear-wheel drive 2 door boat with 400+ horsepower around during the winter months, you have other issues besides a missing engine cover.

I agree, there are wondrous technology and other innovations that have helped all our everyday lives.
However, singling out any one thing and making a blanket assertion is neither prudent nor reasonable.

I am positive that those Nurses and Doctors who practiced Blood Letting to remove Vapors thought they were Right too.
It is simple preference what oen drives. 400-+ Hp Rear wheel drive or a Prius, in winter or Summer.

Regardless, I am done with this conversation.
Carry on alone

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Just the 6.4/6.2 engines in the charger do not have top hats. Don’t see a lot of SRTs on the street four months out of the year up here unless it’s a warm clear day.

What about the 6.1/6.4 SRT Jeeps Tim,lol .I'm in Alberta and I see lots of SRT cars and lots more SRT Jeeps in the winter,and it doesn't have to be a nice day either,hell I've even seen Lamborgini's playing in the snow,lol. You can be damn sure FCA engineered even the shaker hood cars to run year round in winter,if they didn't the lawsuits would be class action size

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I was actually wondering what the production numbers on the Apache 6.4 were, 6.2SCs are roughly 10k annually.

Tough to swallow the tooling costs for that little volume on a performance oriented vehicle, but like you said the bonnet is open to atmosphere anyhow.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Let’s hear it!

We heard it, alright....Amazing what vehement responses come from a simple question soliciting opinions....
This falls into the category 90% of posts can fall into: If you like it/want it, do it. If you don't like it/don't want it, don't do it. Damn....live and let live, put your egos in-check and have some civil conversation.

OP
OP
Midnight Storm

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We heard it, alright....Amazing what vehement responses come from a simple question soliciting opinions....
This falls into the category 90% of posts can fall into: If you like it/want it, do it. If you don't like it/don't want it, don't do it. Damn....live and let live, put your egos in-check and have some civil conversation.
Yeah I didn’t mean to be a **** disturber. Who’d a thunk it would be such a touchy subject?
At the time, I just saw a vid on YouTube from a charger owner who took it off and I was interested

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
OP, I thought is was a good question. The ensuing debate for the most part, was OK with me. For my .02 cents, its been a place for rodents to shack up,and chew foam.The only benefit in MY situation would be possibly less noise transmitted inside. Currently it's still on.

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7