Replace water pump now idles high during start up and transmission shifts hard 1 and 2nd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I’m still curious

I know you mentioned 57 degrees that was ambient ( air) temperature?

(“The engine (coolant) temperature on your digital dash gauge
reads 100 on startup ,”) ?

By default the engine coolant temp needs to read 100 degrees cold on startup.

OP
OP
T

Tagrunt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I tried the fuse method. Pulled the 30 amp for tcm waited 8 minutes. Put it back in. The next morning it shifted fine. By the end of the next day it was back to slow shifting.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would highly suspect there is an issue with a sensor, connector, or wiring that was disturbed when you were doing the work (assuming the issue was not present prior to replacing the parts). I'm not really sure how a clutch fan would cause high idle or transmission shifting issues? I would inspect any wiring or sensor around where the work was performed, especially the throttle body and air intake system. Inspect the wiring and look for any broken wires or anyplace it may be pinched. Pull off the connectors and look for bent pins. Even if you didn't directly remove or mess with the part is could have gotten accidentally hit or damaged when doing the work.

OP
OP
T

Tagrunt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was wondering if a clogged transmission filter could cause first and second gear to go to high RPMs to shift?

OP
OP
T

Tagrunt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would highly suspect there is an issue with a sensor, connector, or wiring that was disturbed when you were doing the work (assuming the issue was not present prior to replacing the parts). I'm not really sure how a clutch fan would cause high idle or transmission shifting issues? I would inspect any wiring or sensor around where the work was performed, especially the throttle body and air intake system. Inspect the wiring and look for any broken wires or anyplace it may be pinched. Pull off the connectors and look for bent pins. Even if you didn't directly remove or mess with the part is could have gotten accidentally hit or damaged when doing the work.
I checked everything. No bent pins reconnected everything. I don't see any pinched or broken wires. But I am going to have my mechanic friend look at it just to double check.